PDA

View Full Version : I lost my rear breaks I need help

Depalma
07-03-2002, 06:44 AM
I was riding and lost my brakes. I checked my brake oil and ther was none left but no sign of a leak. I hit the break pedal it goes down and does not contract the pads. i filled the oil I even cahnged the pads nothing there is no compression when I press the brake pedal it just goes down. someone said there might be air in the line. How do you bleed the line. Or any other help would be great. Thanks
2002 400ex
ac nerfs white groth bumper
k&n Jet kit
e-series pipe

400ex Magnum
07-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Sounds like when you lost your fluid, you got air in the lines and it will not work until you get it bled out. Here is how you bleed the brakes:

1. Fill the resevour full of fluid. Be sure to check watch it so that it doesn't go empty on you.

2. Loosen the bleed screw on the caliber. It will look somewhat like a grease zerk that you can put an end wrench on.

3. Depress and hold the brake pedal in the down position. This action should force some air and fluid out of the bleed screw on the caliber.

4. With the brake pedal still fully depressed, retighten the bleed screw.

5. Repeat steps 1-4 until only fluid is coming out of the bleed screw. You should have solid brakes again. Some people will put a plastic hose on the bleed screw and direct the fluid into a small container to contain the mess. Do not let the fluid contact the brake pads.

Hope this helps.

froggieboi
07-03-2002, 09:42 AM
Jabber also has a very good method posted in the FAQ section.