PDA

View Full Version : 400ex vaules

hondaboy400ex55
01-02-2006, 10:51 PM
ok i got a 04 400ex and theres a slight ticking sound coming from the top of the motor and my buddy said that i need to adjust my vaulves

do you think thats what it is? and how hard are the vaulves to adjust

fitethesystom
01-02-2006, 11:38 PM
<font color="brown">Hello, hondaboy400ex55.

These engines will tick very quietly under normal circumstances, but it's very possible that your valves may need adjusting or the decompressor is stuck (as it states in the manual). The best thing to do is pull off the valve adjusting holes, and with the proper feeler guage check the valve clearances on all 4 valves. This will tell you if your valves are out of adjustment. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

NCexRider
01-04-2006, 05:47 PM
If you are unable to diagnose the problem yourself I would hardly say that you should go breaking into your motor. Take it to a factory trained technician at your local dealership.;)

hondajoe05
01-04-2006, 05:56 PM
well i think that jus solved my problem i think my decompressor is stuck cuz they are adjusted right... but im taking it to a guy to have him look at it and put in stage 2 hotcams

01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
all 400ex's tick but when i needed my valves ajusted u could here it and i new then i needed them ajusted. for my quad it started ticking loud with in 3 days after the rebuild.

fitethesystom
01-04-2006, 09:28 PM
well dude i would take it to the dealer and let the mechanic listen. there lying crooks but an idea never hurts

hondaboy400ex55
01-05-2006, 05:17 AM
yeah i figured i should take it to the shop but i just dont wanna pay 250 bucks to get my vaules ajusted!!!:grr:

NCexRider
01-05-2006, 05:47 AM
If they're charging you $250 you're going to the wrong place. My local Honda dealership will change my oil, filter, and spark plug AND adjust my valves for $108.

miller821
01-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by NCexRider
If they're charging you $250 you're going to the wrong place. My local Honda dealership will change my oil, filter, and spark plug AND adjust my valves for $108.

Man i hope u dont go to the dealer just to get ur oil and filter changed, and a new spark plug. That stuffs is pretty easy and i wouldnt pay that much for it.

Wandell
01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
What would be a fair price for a valve adjustment?

dunes_rider
01-05-2006, 04:00 PM
hey guys

i have same problem since i change piston and valves, theres a slight ticking sound coming from the top of the motor

so the man who fixed my motor told me when you come again to change oil and oil filter i will adjust valves.

But when i start my motor i mean when its cold their no sound ,But when its hot the sound back :confused:

what do you think ???

01-05-2006, 04:06 PM
after my rebuild i got free valve ajustment by the person.

fitethesystom
01-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Ok, listen.

If: the sound is not loud.... it is Normal Operation. They're not a cadillac you know. it's metal-metal contact. If however it sounds unhealthy then take it in. you don't neccesarely need to pay to have it fixed.... you can get a RUN DOWN / DIAGNOSIS free of charge usually.....dont dump your wallet out for some as*hole.

Simply running it for the mechanic can EASILY tell you if its fine or not.

NCexRider
01-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Man i hope u dont go to the dealer just to get ur oil and filter changed, and a new spark plug. That stuffs is pretty easy and i wouldnt pay that much for it.

Personally no I don't. But I did let them do all that during my first (post break in) service when they adjusted the valves, so I know the price. I do change my own oil. My point was that I could get all of that done for around $100 when he was talking about paying $250 just for a valve adjustment.

ironbear77
01-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Man you guys are getting ripped......................
oil filter and adjusting valves should cost like 50-60 bucks tops and that is high. if you guys were around me I would adjust them for you and service your ex for like 40 bucks................................
of course air filter is extra unless you run K&M then oil charge kit. these shops really piss me off. for the amount they charge. my friend I ride with I change their stuff for free. they buy the oil and filters. I have even changed timing chains for free so we could go riding. shop around try to find a mechanic that rides and be cool to him . might come in handy............................................. ..