PDA

View Full Version : More dangerous? Hard terrain or dunes?

enquadrider16
01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
I was just wondering what u guys think is more dangerous? becuase i was just out this weekend and crashed bigtime becuase u cannot see b/cof the dust, and u run into ruts. so whats your opinion?

01-03-2006, 06:36 AM
both can be dangerous in different ways

it is hard to say which is more dangerous

z400roosteR
01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
IMO my vote would be sand, cause not only do you have the obstacles like razorbacks and that but also the idiots that don't give a Flying **** about other people and just go balls out across drag strips or over the top of dunes with out scoping it out first.

DaleJrFan
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
well all the wrecks I have had on sand dont hurt due to the fact that the dunes are soft and cushion the blow for your quad and bones, the same wreck on dirt would for sure leave a mark or break the quad. BUT, I voted dunes because there is always more potential for death or injury on the sand.

hondajoe05
01-03-2006, 05:04 PM
dirt tracks.... and stuff get real dusty when its been dry and people fly by fast enough to do damage and i've hit the dirt after its been dry for quiet a while trust me it HURTS and leaves marks haha a bunch ne ways i haven't ever rode in dunes so im casting my vote for dirt

JOEX
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
IMO my vote would be sand, cause not only do you have the obstacles like razorbacks and that but also the idiots that don't give a Flying **** about other people and just go balls out across drag strips or over the top of dunes with out scoping it out first.
Very true;)

A least on tracks most everyone is going the same direction:p

250r4life
01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
man, the sand is sure a whole lot more forgiving them anything else, in multiple ways.... 1- obviously, wrecking in the sand doesnt cause as near as much harm to your or your quad. i have wrecked several times in the sand and just sat there and laughed, sometims under my quad. ive wrecked pinned in 4th gear, and i bent my handle bars and my stem a little, but i was fine... 2nd- sand is a lot more forgiving for error at times, like jumping. if you come off a jump a little off and dont land perfect, most of the time the sand will forgive you and you will be alright, where as the same scenario in dirt you would wreck... just my 2 cents... the danger in sand is in collision with others, but if you ride smart you'll be ok...

z400roosteR
01-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
man, the sand is sure a whole lot more forgiving them anything else, in multiple ways.... 1- obviously, wrecking in the sand doesnt cause as near as much harm to your or your quad. i have wrecked several times in the sand and just sat there and laughed, sometims under my quad. ive wrecked pinned in 4th gear, and i bent my handle bars and my stem a little, but i was fine... 2nd- sand is a lot more forgiving for error at times, like jumping. if you come off a jump a little off and dont land perfect, most of the time the sand will forgive you and you will be alright, where as the same scenario in dirt you would wreck... just my 2 cents... the danger in sand is in collision with others, but if you ride smart you'll be ok...
I can agree with the jumping part, being the beginner jumper that i am i don't always hit it good and land ugly sometimes and the sand i didn't get beat up as much and i was going faster...Also the shocks on my Z soak up alot of my error, where jum,ping my dad's banshee = chest hurting for a week after hitting the handle bars LMAO

01-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Well if your wearing shorts in the sand u fall off somehow wont u get a sand burn...for those of you who dont know its pretty much the same thing as a brush burn...well thats what it is

250r4life
01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
i dont know, i never wear shorts when i ride... i did once, and it sucked getting my flesh off of my brand new chrome pipe.. sometimes i will zip off the lower part of my pants, but my riding boots meet up with where the pant ends... i also always just wear a t-shirt, and ive wrecked several times in the sand and never gotten any burns on my arms??? my first dune trip this season, we were at glamis and got their at night, and we were going to go to the hill. well, i got chosen to be the lucky leader, and i was screaming around and screamed up this one dune straight on instead of taking it from the side, and little did i know that the other side just dropped... well, i think i was in 4th hauling up this hill, and all of the sudden i was in the air. my lights were pointed up and it was a dark night, and all i knew is i was in the air falling and didnt know when i was going to hit. well, i hit and the bike rolled over me and broke my whip on the 1st roll.. well, i grabbed my whip and started chasing my bike down the dune, and by the time i cuaght it it had rolled about 8 times... i just sat and laughed, no harm done to me, and it just bent my steering stem a little more and broke my whip... other than that it was all good...

400EX QUADER
01-04-2006, 06:16 PM
LOL

hondajoe05
01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
ya i've recked in dirt with shorts on ....... it was hot thats all i can say and i didn't even have boots on

it HURT and left my whole left leg basically in a scab for about two months+ and ya i learned never to do that again

JOEX
01-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i dont know, i never wear shorts when i ride... i did once, and it sucked getting my flesh off of my brand new chrome pipe.. sometimes i will zip off the lower part of my pants, but my riding boots meet up with where the pant ends... i also always just wear a t-shirt, and ive wrecked several times in the sand and never gotten any burns on my arms??? my first dune trip this season, we were at glamis and got their at night, and we were going to go to the hill. well, i got chosen to be the lucky leader, and i was screaming around and screamed up this one dune straight on instead of taking it from the side, and little did i know that the other side just dropped... well, i think i was in 4th hauling up this hill, and all of the sudden i was in the air. my lights were pointed up and it was a dark night, and all i knew is i was in the air falling and didnt know when i was going to hit. well, i hit and the bike rolled over me and broke my whip on the 1st roll.. well, i grabbed my whip and started chasing my bike down the dune, and by the time i cuaght it it had rolled about 8 times... i just sat and laughed, no harm done to me, and it just bent my steering stem a little more and broke my whip... other than that it was all good...
Well that was just dumb luck.

No responsible rider screams up a dune at night in 4th or whatever gear without knowing what's on the other side.:ermm:

250r4life
01-05-2006, 10:12 AM
:D it was my 1st trip of the season, and i hadnt gotten back into the swing of things yet... my buddy always leads, but he wasn't there that trip and so i was the best rider there and so i got chosen to be the leader... it looked like it was going to plain off- boy was i wrong... i'm not an unresponsible rider though, a little crazy and aggressive at times, but not unresponsible... thats part of the problem, i'm not too familiar with glamis cuz i dont like going there cuz all there is is retards riding there...

Eddiesanders250
01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
i would have to say that dirt and sand are equally dangerous. Sand is more forgiving but the bad thing is you cant see whats on the other side of dunes. i was talking to this guy who was riding the dunes on his dirt bike and jumped off a 40ft. drop. he stayed on the bike wich was prolly a mistake and shattered all the bones in his feet and wrists. he does not ride any more. also i ride the oregon dunes where there are a lot of trails in the trees and they are one lained trails, so when you got two people going fast around a blind corner and have a collision it may not be pretty. it the dirt things just seem to be about 100 times harsher but dont occur as often as in the dunes. this is probably because there are alot of idiots on the sand and they make it bad for everyone else.

spud400ex
01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
for me sand dunes are more dangerous mainly becuase i have a tendincy to ride faster and harder becuase it is more forgiving, and the other idiots that will park right at the bottom of a dune at night without lights on, i have a tendancy to leave my lights on when my group stops out in the dunes for a break at night. my only quad related trip to the hospital was from a wreck at the dunes, but i still hual *** down there.

twisted threads
01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Dirt is more dangerous because if you go up a big hill in the dirt and you can't make it guess what?? Your going backwards really fast. In the sand you can did yourself in and you can get off the the quad and turn it around. But the sand is very dangerous also because of all the people that don't think when they ride.

wilkin250r
01-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Many of these I don't consider to be risks, because they are so easily avoidable. Then again, maybe that's what makes me a "safe" rider, experience and caution. Like wearing your helmet, some of these things are just common sense (to me).

Never never never go screaming over a dune. It's just as stupid as hitting a jump before you know where the down ramp is. The only time you ever go screaming directly over a dune is if you have already ridden it and know what to expect on the backside.

The "people" factor isn't limited to just dunes, they can be in ANY riding terrain. Whether you are screaming around a blind corner at your local rock pits, or cresting a small roller at the dunes, people can crop up anywhere. Be aware of it and ride accordingly.

Now, people are indeed more prevalent at the dunes, but again, that's just common sense. Don't park at the base of a hill where people can't see you, park at the top where the can. Likewise, don't go around a blind corner or over a blind hill unless you know exactly what's on the other side. This isn't just limited to drop-offs, rocks, or ruts, but also includes people.

Or, just go riding in a section where there aren't other riders. Almost any dune location has remote areas that aren't crowded.