PDA

View Full Version : any one see where a cannondale owner polishes frame?

Nausty
07-03-2002, 02:19 AM
I was just thinking how you can polish the entire frame on the honda aluminum frames to look like chrome and on superbikes so I would figure you could do the same with the cannondales? I would like to see some pics i'm sure with new plastic and polished frame it would look awsome.

Guy400
07-03-2002, 04:40 AM
There's a guy over at The Connection that has already polished the twin spars of the frame. I don't know if he's gotten to the rest of the frame yet. He's doing it himself and said it's very time consuming. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to the pics but it did look very good.

Juggalo
07-03-2002, 11:24 AM
don't worry cuz i have one saved!

smitty
07-08-2002, 07:54 AM
Yup,

That's mine. I have the Frame the front end and some other parts polished. The rest of the pictures are at my site http://www.hairschool.org/Quad.htm

I've spent HOURS on this, I think it looks good and will keep polishing it until it's perfect.

Later

Smitty

smitty
07-08-2002, 07:57 AM
I tried the link to make sure it was working and got a could not find page. This is one of my sites and is working so you may have to cut and paste the link. Sorry for the agfo on this.

Never mind I fixed it, damn periods.LOL

Smitty

RideRed04
07-08-2002, 02:25 PM
What are you using to polish that?

smitty
07-08-2002, 03:24 PM
I removed all of the parts I could easily get to. Front and Rear Bumpers, I started with a metal finishing wheel on a 4 1/2" electric grinder. This removes most of the extrusion marks and also smooths the welds, after that some 300 Grit sandpaper to get rid of the marks from the metal finishing wheel. Than I hit it with some 600 sandpaper. Than I use a bench grinder with Black compond to fine tune the polish and get rid of any marks. On a different wheel the white rouge will put the final sparkle in it.

On the frame I did the above but mounted an old polishing wheel on the grinder and went for it. I have Hours and Hours on this. There is still so much more to do. If you had a polishing shop nerby that would help and also speed the process as they have all the CORRECT TOOLs.

Smitty

MxDale71
07-08-2002, 09:09 PM
I got my frame polished too, and my fenders shaved. You can check out my pics at my website. www.geocities.com/douwe71/ Just be sure to sign my guestbook and tell me how AWESOME my website is ;). I don't have all the mods listed in my sig, in those pics and my polishing isn't as nice as Smitty's but I'm getting there. All I'm using is a rag and Mothers aluminum polish... taking a VERY LONG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nausty
07-08-2002, 11:43 PM
man I can't beleive how long that had to take though. I polished my throttle cover (aircraft striper rocks for removing paint like that), engine mounts, oil filter cover, and electric starter cover and it takes a long time. They both look great but I DO NOT GET WHAT CANNONDALE was thinking with that front plastic garrr if they could of made it look innovative and good like the raptor people would of been all over it.

MxDale71
07-09-2002, 07:25 AM
Wouldn't look to innovative if it looked like the Raptor.

Hehe :blah

The looks really grow on you. I used to think they were ugly but after I rode it, bought it, and had it at my house for a while, I've really gotten to like the looks. But I'm ordering an axle in a couple of weeks, and then a pipe and remapping, and after that, I'm buying a Quad tech scooped hood for mine and that should make it look even better!

smitty
07-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Since the motor is at Trinity I had the chance to polish some more.
Water Pump cover
Thermostat Housing
Lower Frame rails
Oil Filter Cover
Starter Gear cover

Would have loved to get at that swing arm, but they need it move the quad around.

Smitty