PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the army.

circusfreak6
01-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I am looking to join and I have a few questions. What are the odds of going to Iraq, or any foreign country for that matter? What are the odds of dying over there. Ive heard that you have a better chance of dying from a car accident than you do in the military. For my MOS im lookin to go for electrician or hvac. Ive heard from people in the army that there isnt that much action over in Iraq anymore. Theres not very many soldiers dying. These are the main things that are swaying my joining.
Edit/Delete Message

ZeroLogic
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm also thinking about joining the army. I really have nothing else to do that I would be able to do with my life becuase my grades are horrible. I heard that we're pulling out of Iraq in three to five years.

Titanium
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I kno wat u mean i'm thinkin about goin into the USMC or the airforce because i'm not sure wat i want to do for a livin yet.

Nausty
01-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I am 18 yrs old and had to leave sept first last year to basic at fort leonardwood, MO.

All in all I don't think the odds of dieing are that high in iraq. I mean out of numbers that are there thoughout the last few years I think there is right around 2200 american lives lost. I mean thats a lot of lives and its terrible but around 400 are from accidents alone and that leaves 1800 combat deaths. OUt of the few hundred thousand soldiers that have been there!

I'll let you make your own collusion(spel?)

Tomarrow I leave back for training after being on leave for christmas. I'm a little over half way though my MOS training where they teach me my job skill which is heavy equipment operator.

Honestly, Its got a lot of ups and downs and basic has its real fun parts and its real sucky parts but overall in the end you'll be glad you did it. Though out all of basic I never seen one newspaper, watched a minute of tv or heard any music. It gives you a lot of appreciation for how good you have things. When you realize that your still getting a roof to sleep under and food 3 times a day unlike a lot of people.

I lost a **** load of weight. 40-50lbs, lot of muscle too :mad:

I could pretty much talk forever about it but all in all I like what i'm doing because i'm getting payed pretty good and getting good benefits for being only 18 and having a lot of fun doing stuff i've never done before. Much better than staring at a book all day. I've done everything from throwing grenades, shooting machine guns, fun *** obstacle courses, got gassed w/ tear gas(that **** sucks), pugal matches, i'm about sick of shooting m16's(you do qualifaction, convoy live fire where you shoot out of trucks, night fire, ect, ect,ect), i've gone offroad in the MTV's in some deep *** mud, driven road graders, front end loaders, bull dozers, ect, ect.

For me i'd say the worst parts are: waking up at 4:30 and getting 15 minutes to get ready to then go outside in the freezing cold to exercise! Also the lack of freedom to do the littlest ****. All the freeking bickering and waiting.

Honda400exrox
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I plan on joining the canadian army when I turn 18

I want to be an infantry soldier

fernandez23
01-02-2006, 10:20 PM
i was in the marine corps for 4 years and loved it. if you are thinking of join do it. it does not matter if you get sent to iraq it's part of life you have to fight for you familys freedom. so oorah.

Hondadudeehhhh
01-02-2006, 10:27 PM
its good to see ya dustin. Hope everything works out for ya in the rest of your training

trx400exxracer
01-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Hondadudeehhhh
its good to see ya dustin. Hope everything works out for ya in the rest of your training

yeah man represent well for the US and quad riders

Butters
01-02-2006, 10:49 PM
i think it has its good and bads. its all what you make of it. i have talked to several people that have been in the service both navy and army and tell me one key thing. expecting nothing, and you won't be disappointed.

MXRACER86
01-03-2006, 12:04 AM
How long is the army? Like how long are you there for? I am also intrested in joining. How much do you get paid to go?

Aceman
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by circusfreak6
For my MOS im lookin to go for electrician or hvac.

I don't think being an electrician in the military is all that it's cracked up to be. I heard from someone else that was in either the navy or marines, I think, that was an electrician and all he did was maintain the generators and lights and just do system checks all day=LAME. Maybe it has changed since then. I'm in an apprenticeship right now that requires 8000 OTJ hours plus schooling for the state I live in. I don't know if military experience will transfer into a state ran apprenticeship program. However, there are some states with no requirements(right to work states) and just about anyone can get a journeymans license. It would be worth your time to check out your state requirements before you make a final decision. Just thought I would throw this out there if it helps you.

400exrules
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
yah, i have no clue what i want to do when i graduate. my grades used to be good but now they have gone way down hill. so i might join the army if i cant decide what i want to do, cuz im not motivated to do good in school cuz i dont have anything i want to be after i graduate, so why should i bust my *** to make good grades:confused:

Honda#4
01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
chances r if u sign up now your going to iraq my buddy signed up two weeks after school and he's in iraq now but he came back this december and he said that he has one month left then he's doing stuff in the states.

USAF Dirtboy
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I am in the Air Force and it SO MUCH better lifestyle than the Army...Ask any Army guys. No disrespect to my Brothers in Arms but they treat us alot better and it is really like a 9-5 job. But dont get me wrong u are still in the Military and are held to higher standards. I love the Military, and it was the best decicion of my life. I get paid half way decent and I enjoy my Job. But we still deploy and let me tell you it SUCKS, but if u go with friends it takes the edge of alot of things. I hope this helps.

F-16Guy
01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by USAF Dirtboy
...But we still deploy and let me tell you it SUCKS...
Deployments and TDYs are what the military's all about. I think it's a lot of fun, and you get to see and do stuff that would never happen in the states. For the original question, look at it this way: EXPECT to go to Iraq or somewhere similar, and if you don't, great! If you just want to join the military for the money and the benefits, but aren't willing to go where they send you, then you've got the wrong line of work picked out. I can honestly say, though, that it will make a hugely positive impact on your life if you let it. Hell, I'm getting over $1300 a month in G.I. Bill benefits just to go to school -- that's hard to beat! There are just so many positives compared to any negatives you might face. Four years goes by fast, and if you can make it through that, then you reap the benefits for the rest of your life.

MXcutie
01-03-2006, 05:03 PM
my husband is in the army. we're stationed at Fort Sill, OK and right now he's over in Iraq doing transportation missions. If you do join i would say you about a 99% chance of gettin shipped out and goin to Iraq... the pay is alright but nothing great... if your plannin on starting a family... GOOD LUCK.... try goin to www.troopcarepackage.com it will give ya alittle insite on the guys over in Korea and else where and how they like it.

BlazingYamahaYz
01-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
I am 18 yrs old and had to leave sept first last year to basic at fort leonardwood, MO.

All in all I don't think the odds of dieing are that high in iraq. I mean out of numbers that are there thoughout the last few years I think there is right around 2200 american lives lost. I mean thats a lot of lives and its terrible but around 400 are from accidents alone and that leaves 1800 combat deaths. OUt of the few hundred thousand soldiers that have been there!

I'll let you make your own collusion(spel?)

Tomarrow I leave back for training after being on leave for christmas. I'm a little over half way though my MOS training where they teach me my job skill which is heavy equipment operator.

Honestly, Its got a lot of ups and downs and basic has its real fun parts and its real sucky parts but overall in the end you'll be glad you did it. Though out all of basic I never seen one newspaper, watched a minute of tv or heard any music. It gives you a lot of appreciation for how good you have things. When you realize that your still getting a roof to sleep under and food 3 times a day unlike a lot of people.

I lost a **** load of weight. 40-50lbs, lot of muscle too :mad:

I could pretty much talk forever about it but all in all I like what i'm doing because i'm getting payed pretty good and getting good benefits for being only 18 and having a lot of fun doing stuff i've never done before. Much better than staring at a book all day. I've done everything from throwing grenades, shooting machine guns, fun *** obstacle courses, got gassed w/ tear gas(that **** sucks), pugal matches, i'm about sick of shooting m16's(you do qualifaction, convoy live fire where you shoot out of trucks, night fire, ect, ect,ect), i've gone offroad in the MTV's in some deep *** mud, driven road graders, front end loaders, bull dozers, ect, ect.

For me i'd say the worst parts are: waking up at 4:30 and getting 15 minutes to get ready to then go outside in the freezing cold to exercise! Also the lack of freedom to do the littlest ****. All the freeking bickering and waiting.

You don't happen to know an Abbi Anderson do you? Cuz that's my friend's sister and she was at Fort Leonardwood, MO late last year and just left today to go back.

Atkins
01-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Nausty, for some reason I cant picture you 50lbs lighter.:huh

Congrats though.:macho

tater_kamik
01-04-2006, 08:09 AM
9-5 job?? what are you, finance? jk bro. the army has great food over here, thats about the only good thing i can say for them. you will more than likely end up deploying, but that isnt something you should be afraid of, but rather look forward to. i always meet new people and have a lot of fun while i am deployed, tdy, etc. i also like my job, though sometimes it does suck but not too often can i complain. as for basic, i dont have a clue about anything other than the air force summer camp so...

I am in the Air Force and it SO MUCH better lifestyle than the Army...Ask any Army guys. No disrespect to my Brothers in Arms but they treat us alot better and it is really like a 9-5 job. But dont get me wrong u are still in the Military and are held to higher standards. I love the Military, and it was the best decicion of my life. I get paid half way decent and I enjoy my Job. But we still deploy and let me tell you it SUCKS, but if u go with friends it takes the edge of alot of things. I hope this helps.

USAF Dirtboy
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
When I say 9-5 that is stateside and it is more like 6-3..lol. And no i am not Admin i am the Air Forces version of a combat enginneer( glorified construction worker) But in all seriousness Basic was EASY...all it is is a HEAD GAME. Just play with it, the only thing that sucks is the possibility of getting recycled( sent back in training a couple of weeks). oh yea GREAT FOOD

hskers82
01-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I would agree with all of the active/prior military that if you do join it is something you will look back at and be proud.I spent 5 years in the Navy as a Heavy Equipment Operator(Seabees-NMCB 7).The deployments weren't all that great(overseas 7 months,stateside 7 months) but look at it as someplace you or any of your friends would probably never see.I looked at it as a free vacation from uncle sam and the time does go by fast.If you do decide to join make damn sure it is something you want to do and get it in writing as to what job you want.I am not sure about the other branches but you definately don't want to join the Navy and not have a specific job(don't go in as a seaman and expect to get whatever job you decide after bootcamp, it doesn't work that way).Good luck with whatever you decide and to all of the active duty guys/gals and the veterans "Thank You"

USAF Dirtboy
01-04-2006, 04:00 PM
I am the Air Forces version of a Seabee, Have you ever heard of Red Horse. I am too a Pavement and Equipment operator. I went to tech school with u guys..;p

01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
DONT JOIN THE ARMY!!!! one of my best friends joined and he got killed...:(

exrider008
01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by 400exXx

sorry to hear that but dont tell them no to join cuz if it wasnt for them guys/gals over in iraq then...who knows

400exrules
01-04-2006, 04:40 PM

sorry about that, but im sure 75% of the people here could say "dont drive a car, my friend/relative got killed in one!"

01-04-2006, 05:28 PM
yeah i know but chances are if you go to war your gonna be in the front line...which really sucks. my bro went to war also and was shooting tanks not on the front line

tater_kamik
01-04-2006, 05:48 PM
basic is cake for real, and the french toast rocks!! food was better in basic than it is deployed... i couldnt help the admin joke, and i know what a combat engineer is. stateside i work a 9 hour shift, not bad and i dont do too much work, deployed i do 12 hour shifts and sometimes im busy as hell, sometimes i can find a place to nap.

When I say 9-5 that is stateside and it is more like 6-3..lol. And no i am not Admin i am the Air Forces version of a combat enginneer( glorified construction worker) But in all seriousness Basic was EASY...all it is is a HEAD GAME. Just play with it, the only thing that sucks is the possibility of getting recycled( sent back in training a couple of weeks). oh yea GREAT FOOD

DONT JOIN THE ARMY!!!! one of my best friends joined and he got killed...

while that sucks, it happens. everything equal, you have a better chance of being killed while stateside compared to being deployed. of course that also depends on what unit you are with...

hskers82
01-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah I've heard of Red Horse(or as we called them "Pink Pony" and what was the name for the other ones wasn't it prime rib or prime beef something like that).When I went through Equip.Operator school it was only 8 weeks long and it was only with Navy guys they hadn't integrated yet.I'm just messing with you on the Pink Pony(we really did call them that when I was in) you know how every branch knocks the other.A couple guys I was stationed with taught at the operator school at Fort Leonardwood but that was a few years back.Pm me and I will give you there names maybe they taught you