PDA

View Full Version : My dealer rocks

tcr450r
01-02-2006, 04:25 PM
I have come to the conclusion that my rings are shot on my 450r. I have to refill engine oil about every 2-3 hours and it is smoking like crazy. I can tell that I have lost compression, I can turn the motor over by hand, its a b**ch to start when its cold, and I doesn't feel anywhere near as peppy as my buddies 05 with similar mods. (please state it if you think that something else could be wrong)
Anyways, so I call my dealer today, he told me that I need to replace the stock piston and rings every 25-30 hours...... Is that anywhere near correct? That doesn't sound right at all. I have 100+ hours on her and she never quit at 25-30 hours. Besides the piston, he told me that I would probably need to have atleast 2 of my valves replaced. So, I'm already sick of what I believe to be B.S. Im like well, what are you guys going to charge for all of this if I brought it to you. 8-900$!!!! I'm calling B.S. what do you guys think?

01-02-2006, 04:53 PM
i was also told the same thing as you when i bought mine. pistons would need to be rplaced after 35 hours but i have about 100 hours on mine now and I change the oil all the time and shes still running good.

01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
i have 200-300 hours on mine, and its still fine

400exrider707
01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Maybe he has it confused with a CRF. They seem to need pistons a little more, and as far as valves most of the honda race bikes (CRF's) run titanium valves and seem to go through intake vavles often. The TRX has steel valves they should last a lot longer than 35 hours. You could just buy a piston and a set of gaskets and a manual and do it your self for around $200-$250

Colby@C&DRacing
01-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Problem is most of these guys are salemen not mechanics they spout out stuff they heard in a sales meeting not facts. Sure if you replace the piston and rings every 25 to 30 hours it will alway have the closest tolerances but this is the real world and that gets expensive.

tcr450r
01-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah I definitely didn't think that his information sounded right at all. I will refuse to let them work on it, this is like the third time they have fed me total B.S.

400exrider, the idiot that I talked to on the phone did try telling me that my quad had titanium valves, so I'm thinking that your idea is right. I'm going to take your advice and to it myself rather than take it to those morons.

Thanks for the help guys.

bullet3z
01-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Well the 06 does have the titanium valves not the prior years. I would suggest that you check your valves. You just may need a rebuild, it's hard to say until you look inside. If your quad is eating that much oil, something is not right. Have it checked by a local motor builder, they are better and cheaper.