PDA

View Full Version : what pipe to use on 250r for the woods

crewworrior
01-02-2006, 03:51 PM
I want to buy a pipe thats good in the trails.i currently have a paul turner but it makes my powerband really unpredictable.i was thinking of buying a pro circuit what do you think.any help is appreciated thanks.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-02-2006, 04:13 PM
correct me if im wrong which i very well might be , but i have heard that for in the woods the stock header with a aftermarket slipon is a very good setup.

Tom TRX250R
01-02-2006, 04:22 PM
The stock pipe is not a great choice, I think your thinking of fourstrokes with the slip ons vs. full pipes. The stocker drops off on the powerband VERY early and weighs a ton for the R.

First off do you have any porting on the cylinder? If you have a radical drag port, no pipe will correct that for low end. You want to try to match port/with the pipe. A good selection if you have no porting or low end porting is an ESR TRX 6 pipe, Sparks MX, or Paul Turner Type 6.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-02-2006, 04:23 PM
no , i was thinking of a 2 stroke . Guess i misunderstood when i was told that .Thanks Tom. :)

deathman53
01-02-2006, 05:40 PM
I had a type 6 on my trx250r and it was great for the woods

crewworrior
01-02-2006, 06:18 PM
theres no porting its bored .30 over v-force reeds and a open airbox thanks

Rich250RRacer
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
The stock pipe is not a great choice, I think your thinking of fourstrokes with the slip ons vs. full pipes. The stocker drops off on the powerband VERY early and weighs a ton for the R.

First off do you have any porting on the cylinder? If you have a radical drag port, no pipe will correct that for low end. You want to try to match port/with the pipe. A good selection if you have no porting or low end porting is an ESR TRX 6 pipe, Sparks MX, or Paul Turner Type 6.

Everybody has their own preference, but I don't think you will find a better woods pipe than a stock pipe. Here is my engine combo that I originally listed in a thread about fuel economy on a 250R.

I sure somebody here will bash my engine combo, but it works for me. Plus the setup was recommended by Bud Fischer himself for a strong running harescrambles/XC motor. .050 over 86 cylinder, porting that is extremely radical to say the least (something you might find in a TT quad rather than an XC racer). Long rod 2mm stroker with 86 piston and spacer, STOCK pipe and FMF silencer, original 34mm carb jetted to accept mods, cool head with 20cc dome. All of this has produced an unbelievably smooth power delivery that is very fuel friendly, and has enough power to put me in the top 5 of the GNCC Vet class over the past 8 seasons. With this combo and a 3.6 gallon IMS tank, I run an entire GNCC race, between 40 and 50 miles, and NEVER refuel.

With the porting and the carb combo, it makes for a extremely smooth powerband, almost like a four stroke. No arm-yanking surge that might just plow you into a tree. I consulted a couple of our local builders (Bud Fischer and Mark Baldwin), and both said the same thing, the stock pipe is very under rated. Baldwin told me he actually played around with cutting a stock pipe open and removing the sound deadening material thats inside and makes it perform even better. The main reason I run the stock pipe is the fuel economy. Like I said earlier, my quad can go a full GNCC without refueling, saving sometimes 30 seconds or more, and preventing some seriously hot balls if somebody spills it on me. The quad pulls surprisingly good with the pipe and I don't give up too much to the 450's unless it's a very long field section where I would hit 6th gear. If I'm going up against another 250R with the Paul Turner type 6 pipe (their woods pipe), which alot of GNCC guys run, I'll smoke them in the open sections. I've done pretty good with it, a bunch of seconds and thirds, and a win at the Ironman in '02.

450RGNCC
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
cutting the stock pipe open and taking out the baffles works VERY well, its free (if you know how to weld) and it makes a great woods pipe, then just throw on a silencer like an FMF powercore 2 or somethng and you will have a good combination.

crewworrior
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
actually im a certified welder so im going to get a stock pipe and cut it. this all makes sence because my blaster just has a slip on and the power delivery is great in the woods. thanks for the help everyone who replied

ilikedirtbikes
11-06-2006, 06:16 PM
fmf sst pipe with a powercore 2 is probably the way to go they increase overall performance and they usually send the reccomended jet so you dont have to mess around with your carb all day.