PDA

View Full Version : ride hieght ?

55belair
01-02-2006, 02:35 PM
can i adjust the hieght of my quad using the springs ? will this adversly affect my suspension ? i have a 2001 400ex with stock rear shock and 06 450r front shocks, 20x6x10's on the front and
18x10x9 on the rears. it sits a little low for trail riding (not so good trails) i have my pre-load set about 1/4'' lower in the rear then the front with me on it in gear.i guess my question is if i tighten up my springs to achieve i slight bit higher ride and keep my pre load at the same percentage how will this affect my ride ?

Pappy
01-02-2006, 02:38 PM
adjusting your preload is how you set your ride height:confused: by compressing the spring you raise your ride height, but backing off the pre load ring you allow the quad to sit lower (less tension)

55belair
01-02-2006, 02:47 PM
but if i tighten my springs equally more, couldn't i obtain a higher ride hieght and keep my preload at a good percentage. i am under the impression that setting my pre load is basically keeping the rear 1/4'' ish lower then the front with me on it ? i know i could simply put bigger/taller tires on it but i like the 18's just want a bit more hieght to avoid the ruts a bit more. and thanks for the quick responce.

Pappy
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
preload and ride height go hand in hand and are different terms for the same thing.

measure the bottom of your frame at the front motor mount and then again at the rear of the foot peg. im not an expert on this but 8 1/2 inches with you on the quad seems to be what i remember with stock shocks.

01-02-2006, 06:43 PM
for a trail quad u want to be between 8 and 10 inches of gc.