PDA

View Full Version : 450er has a bad battery

yamablaster24
01-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Well i have a new 06 and The battery has died about 5 times, once after sitting for 2 hours after riding it. I turn key off immediately after riding it and have no shorts im positive its brand new lol. IM going to Honda to get a new stocker but i think its gonna do the same. What can i replace it with? I race MX and often cant just push start it on the line lol.

Pappy
01-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Yuasa is the only company making the battery for the TRX, and there is no readily available substitue with higher cca's.

Dave400ex
01-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Pappy why do you think everybody is having these slow starting/battery staying charged problems? Is it just from the battery being to small? I want to get one in a few months, but all these starting problems have me thinking about it...

QuadRacer041
01-02-2006, 02:01 PM
bring the whole bike back and have them test it, even though its brand new it can still have a draw.

Pappy
01-02-2006, 02:06 PM
a few folks sent me date codes off thier batteries and it seems to me that they were too damn old to be used IMO

these are factory activated batteries and there is a good chance they were ***ed up before they were sent to honda. the good part, you may be able to get a new one from your dealer, the bad part is that they are friggon expensive if you have to buy one outright.

ZQ8Dude
01-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
a few folks sent me date codes off thier batteries and it seems to me that they were too damn old to be used IMO

these are factory activated batteries and there is a good chance they were ***ed up before they were sent to honda. the good part, you may be able to get a new one from your dealer, the bad part is that they are friggon expensive if you have to buy one outright.

hold on, you mean if you bring the bike back and flat out prove to them that the stock battery is crap, they dont cover it? :huh

im definitely gonna ask about this when i go to buy my 450er

Pappy
01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
chances are they will refer you to manufatcires warranty, which with Yuasa is 3 months. b!tch and scream add a few statements about the date code on the battery and they will hand you a new one:D

Dave400ex
01-02-2006, 05:01 PM
I will just mention something about it before I even buy it. Ask to see the date, or what not. I don't want any problems.

I did ask Baldwin though, and he said he was working on the slow starting issue, so I am interested to see what he comes up with.

Also what is the price on the battery from you?

Pappy
01-02-2006, 05:05 PM
i dont remember offhand, i know retail on the thing is over $100:eek2:

in all honesty it should be taken care of with jetting or something along those lines. the supplied battery should be able to preform its purpose with out any issues.

Dave400ex
01-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Over $100, that is pricey. It would be interesting however for someone that is having problems with their stocker, to get a brand new battery that is up to date, and see if there are problems then.

I do agree that jetting is causing a lot of the problems. A lot of guys I have talked to said after they had the HRC kit installed it runs flawless, and starts much better. Again, Baldwin told me they had parts for the Carb, to call to talk about them.

XCRACER26
01-02-2006, 05:23 PM
I would get a bigger batterie. Like how balance and others do with there yfzs.

raptor88
01-02-2006, 07:39 PM
kick start model:D it works every time and it doesnt die:blah:

ZQ8Dude
01-02-2006, 07:54 PM
pappy- when you say date code, is there any particular way to read it, or does it just flatout say the date in numbers?

im thinking ill check the date before i buy the bike, settle a price and then tell them before i sign, go fix that defective battery.

also what is the cutoff for a bad one?

Pappy
01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
all batteries have a date code somewhere on them. usually its a small sticker, or a melted in hot stamp on the battery.

alot of todays batteries are coming direct to your dealer filled, sealed and supposedly ready to go. if you can see the date code, i wouldnt buy one older then 90days. after 90 days a battery needs to be recharged and most dealerships do not do this. not that this makes the battery bad, but i prefer a new unit..period.

we will not fill a unit until its sold, and the FA units we charge them each month. and we have noticed higher failure rates with FA units but thats the future:rolleyes:

some exapmles of date codes would be like C5

C= the month the battery was made
5= the year

A thru L = January thru December (this works with almost all auto batteries also)

ZQ8Dude
01-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks very much, this will help when i go to buy one.