PDA

View Full Version : ??? 465EX for Harescrambles ???

tdsongster
01-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Is a 465 to much for racing harescrambles?

fitethesystom
01-01-2006, 09:16 PM
<font color="green">

Good christ, 465ccs? That's some major modifications.

trx400exxracer
01-01-2006, 09:18 PM
all I need is a 400ex with a pipe

it would be nice to get a cam or some other mods

400exMO
01-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
<font color="gray">I don't see the value in engulfing your money into one single quad which you'll probably sell in a couple of years, and you'll never make that money back. But some people would rather put money into one. I personally love it bone stock, a pipe and i'm good to go.

He didn't ask if it was a smart financial thing to do. Stop screwing threads up with dumb financial and gokart opinions.

I think it would be a good idea as long as it was smooth power.

xc_racer1
01-01-2006, 10:22 PM
<font color="gray">I don't see the value in engulfing your money into one single quad which you'll probably sell in a couple of years, and you'll never make that money back. But some people would rather put money into one. I personally love it bone stock, a pipe and i'm good to go.

id love to see u try to race a stock quad in an xc race
it takes alot more modds than u think to do it. the more power the better. and if ur puttin that much money into ur quad then u probably love riding. and if u would put that much money into it and sell it in a couple years.. ur nuts... plus if u do put alot of money into it and u get fast.. u could who knows end up like chris borich with a full sponsorship from alba racing

tdsongster
01-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Ok, we seem to be straying. All I wanted to know was if a 465 was a good choice for racing in harescrambles?

I hear conflicting stories. On one hand I get comments that it is way to much power for harescrambles and on the other hand I hear how much more powerful the new 450s are. Well, if a modded 450 is more powerful then a 465 why do they race them in harescrambles?

Bottom line is that I have a 400ex that has quite a lot of mods and it handles really really well (see signature). It is a 416 that revs incredibly fast. I would like to add more torque to my set up and that is why I did this poll.

xc_racer1
01-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
Ok, we seem to be straying. All I wanted to know was if a 465 was a good choice for racing in harescrambles?

I hear conflicting stories. On one hand I get comments that it is way to much power for harescrambles and on the other hand I hear how much more powerful the new 450s are. Well, if a modded 450 is more powerful then a 465 why do they race them in harescrambles?

Bottom line is that I have a 400ex that has quite a lot of mods and it handles really really well (see signature). It is a 416 that revs incredibly fast. I would like to add more torque to my set up and that is why I did this poll.

thats not to much power at all as long as ur used to the power

fitethesystom
01-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
He didn't ask if it was a smart financial thing to do. Stop screwing threads up with dumb financial and gokart opinions.

I think it would be a good idea as long as it was smooth power.

Why don't you quit drinking your mother's douche water?

Douche.

(I'm over it.)

trx400exxracer
01-02-2006, 12:02 AM

dang dude if that is not enough power for you I dont know what is :chinese: :chinese: :chinese:

mills_racing
01-02-2006, 07:15 AM
I think if you can get it reliable then it would definatley be a good choice...give Laz at GT Thunder a call and he can help you out on your descision.

6858-400ex
01-02-2006, 08:29 AM

THAT JUST KIND OF BORING

atvracer980
01-02-2006, 08:35 AM
tdsongster- 465cc may be a bit much for harescrambles unless you have a portable VP gas station near by- your gonna burn alot of gas in a 2 hour race- somewhere around 4-5 gallons, the quad doesnt make the rider-its the rider that makes the quad. Most xc racers aren't running punched out quads- they soak their money into suspension and a good steering stabilizer, they rely upon their physical fittness and endurance.

tdsongster
01-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by atvracer980
tdsongster- 465cc may be a bit much for harescrambles unless you have a portable VP gas station near by- your gonna burn alot of gas in a 2 hour race- somewhere around 4-5 gallons, the quad doesnt make the rider-its the rider that makes the quad. Most xc racers aren't running punched out quads- they soak their money into suspension and a good steering stabilizer, they rely upon their physical fittness and endurance.

I have done my suspension already, elka and Scotts.

Very good point about the fuel consumption, I did not think of that.

You are right about them not pucnching out huge displacements on 400EX's, but they are riding piped 450s so that is about the same thing...

I also bought a tread mill to help get in shape for 2006 races.

QuadJunkies
01-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Each to there own :huh

QuadJunkies
01-02-2006, 10:52 AM
I have done my suspension already, elka and Scotts.

Very good point about the fuel consumption, I did not think of that.

You are right about them not pucnching out huge displacements on 400EX's, but they are riding piped 450s so that is about the same thing...

I also bought a tread mill to help get in shape for 2006 races.

I too would actually like a 465 in mine!! Maybe sometime this year Ill get one :D

tdsongster
01-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I was just hoping to get some insight from someone who runs a 465 in xc races. Surely someone on this board does.

tdsongster
01-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by mills_racing
I think if you can get it reliable then it would definatley be a good choice...give Laz at GT Thunder a call and he can help you out on your descision.

Do you have a link or a phone #?

hardkoratvmxr
01-02-2006, 10:58 AM
it looks liek you got the suspension to handle the 465 so i think you should be doing fine in harescrambles with that kit

tdsongster
01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
it looks liek you got the suspension to handle the 465 so i think you should be doing fine in harescrambles with that kit

By that do you mean the kit that I already have (416) or go with the 465?

Thanks...

QuadJunkies
01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I think you should give Duncan racing a call. they had a 465 and they have there own kits I know, I have there PC4000 and have been problem free.

Rico
01-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Build a stong reliable 416 and be done with it. The rider is what is important in harescrambles not the CC of the motor.

tdsongster
01-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Build a stong reliable 416 and be done with it. The rider is what is important in harescrambles not the CC of the motor.

So just stick with the set up i have (see signature). It has been extremely reliable so far, I would hate to screw that up.

hondaboy400ex55
01-02-2006, 03:33 PM
i think it would be a really good idea to get a 465 kit if you got the $ to spend..

mills_racing
01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
http://gtthunder.com you can find the number on the site ....im not sure but what size wat brandons motor in his ex last year when he ran C class.....it was somewheres round that cc range i think so laz could help you out on the right setup.

prepracing
01-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Like Rico said extra CC's really won't help. Your 416 is a strong XC setup. Unless you run in the top 10 in A class, PRO-Am or PRO class.....then the 465 might help you out a little bit. But again with suspension and a 416 should be all you need not to mention good ability and endurance.

trx400exxracer
01-02-2006, 09:50 PM
So just stick with the set up i have (see signature). It has been extremely reliable so far, I would hate to screw that up.

man I would kill to have your engine I do good enough with a stock motor pipe jets uni air filter

my brother had a bone stock 400ex 2001 withhis baffle modified a uni airfilter and a 165 jetmain and used works front shocks and a used revalved rear shock and he beat a dude with a 450 plenty of times and a dude with a 460 kit and predator and a z435 and all these dudes have raced the whole GNCC circuit before and my brother had only race 2 and he beat them at a local xc race and they all had ridden the track same # of times he has also beat others

K_Fulk
01-02-2006, 10:53 PM
A 465 would probly be to tiring for xc. Unless you can keep your 416 on the gas the whole race I wouldnt do it.

If it was mx it would be another story.

Rico
01-03-2006, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
A 465 would probly be to tiring for xc. Unless you can keep your 416 on the gas the whole race I wouldnt do it.

If it was mx it would be another story.

Exactly.

I know my 416 is a handleful in the woods and being on the gas none stop gets tiring when your trying to keep the frontend down the entire time...:devil:

I'd rather have a reliable motor over a superfast unreliable motor anyday.

tdsongster
01-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Exactly.

I know my 416 is a handleful in the woods and being on the gas none stop gets tiring when your trying to keep the frontend down the entire time...:devil:

I'd rather have a reliable motor over a superfast unreliable motor anyday.

I think I am going to go with Rico's advice and run the 416 for another year or two. I think I was just getting the bug to do more to my quad, but kinda running out of stuff to add to it for a xc quad.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

GOTFEAR
01-03-2006, 10:02 PM
i would strock the crank they seem to make good power with smaller bores and last