PDA

View Full Version : I need dunes!!

01-01-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey guys i need some good dunes to ride i'm hoping you guys can help me out a little

We were considering going to Silver lake MI but we hear there are alot of rules and regulations out there and we aren't looking to cause a rukus but we do want to have fun.

If anybody can help us out i'd appriciate it

Were located in Central Pa and don't mind traveling too far but not too much above 13hrs

Thanks alot Toby

IWIN450R
01-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I dont know if you know a place thats called Glamis Sand Dunes in california. Its a good place if u like dunes. www.glamisinfo.com

01-01-2006, 09:40 PM
we're looking for something within 12hrs...thanks

01-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Aybody out ther? How about has anybody been to silver lake whats it actually like, it looks like a blast but i hear they are very strict, anyhelp will be greatful.

01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
There are some dunes in oklahoma called little sahara. Ive never been there but i read about it, IN A BOOK!

You might wanna check it out.

Chris S.
01-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I have ridden at Silver Lake several times and will be riding many more times this summer. My first words of advice is avoid the weekends. They are very crowded and are a little more enforceful of the regulations if you try to bend them. There rules are very reasonable and are for the safety of the riders, nothing that should upset a responsiable rider. The only rule that sucks is the decibel rule for exhaust, I get nervous everytime I get checked, but I always pass. They have alot fun hills to go up and down and some open straight aways and smaller rolling hills at the back end of the directional traffic area that are great for flying over and there is never a crowd back there. Great place you won't be dissapointed unless you compare to somethng out west. Any more questions just ask.

01-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey thanks alot Chris. I appriciate it... i just got done reading your post about the badlands which is weird b/c i was going to put a post up about that tonight, so it helped me out alot.

I think we'll probably just head to Michigan and go to silverlake.

Have you ever heard anything really in NJ?

Thanks alot for everybodys help

Toby

jtquad
01-06-2006, 05:25 AM
we just load up and go to glamis, nothing compares. we ship from ny and then fly 5 hours to CA and its still cheaper then driving by about 2500. check out http://www.glamistrips.com for trip info - JT

cds
01-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I think that everyone that lives within a day's drive of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes should go there at least once. I've been there several times in the past few years.

It is my favorite place to ride. It's not particularly big, but it's close enough (for me) to do a worthwhile 4-day weekend trip.

Like Chris S. posted, the rules aren't too bad. I waited to buy my whip flags until after I got there because their rules state that the flags must be square in shape.

As with any dunes or hills, watch your speed at the top. Some of them are pretty steep on the other side.

I really like how the dunes are a just a little bit different every time I go.

I've only been there once during peak season. It wasn't too bad during the week, but the place sure filled up when the weekend came! I like going during the early season. It can be cold (like 30-40 degrees cold) and rainy, but it won't be crowded. LOL, I wore my winter coat and had my grip heaters on when I was there in early May last year. We usually go for a quick (5-10min) "polar bear" style swim in Lake Michigan once or twice while we're there.

There aren't many places to stay at and restaurants to eat at close by, but I haven't had a bad experience yet with any of them. The hotels cost much less money in the off-season.

Still waiting to go to the dunes out west...

cd

01-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Well it looks like were going to silver lake... you guys say there aren't many places to go, what do you mean, were from a fairly secluded area now so if there area few bars, or resteraunts that will be great with us... were not used to a city so were not expecting anything like that..

Thanks Again
Toby #51

cds
01-11-2006, 09:36 AM
The local area is an asparagus farming community, with a small "resort" area built around the dunes, silver lake, and upper silver lake.

01-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Ok thanks alot guys... i think were just going to go there and be done with it... i hope to have fun, i think were going up around the 11th of July so i'll put a post up to see if any of you guys will be there hopefully we can meet up and have some fun ..

Thanks again
Toby

bansheewarrior
01-12-2006, 09:21 AM
the one problem with silver lake is that they'll let anything out there so you have all these big 4*4 trucks and jeeps tearing the place up.smooth sand and razors on the peaks are a thing of the past.We've been going up there for years because it's only a 5 hour trip here from central In. and the place is getting worst every year.Our four or five trips a year are down to one or two at best just because of that reason.All the rules aren't a big deal if you ride smart you'll be within the rules.
Little sahara in Oklohoma has alot more to offer.From Indy it's right at 12 hours to get there to give you a refernce on time.Way over double the area open to ride bigger dunes in the open area and different enviroment with all the tree shoots and sand trails they have.Another wonderful feature they have you won't get in Michigan is you camp right at the dunes you can ride from camp right to the dunes in Silver lake you have to pack up and drive back to where ever you're staying everyday which is a pain.
Little Sahara is alot better but it is farther away but worth it.
here is some pic's of silver lake
http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3
and here's some of little sahara
http://www.flatlandersatv.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=7
if you want to see some and compare

RidinRed420
01-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 51
Ok thanks alot guys... i think were just going to go there and be done with it... i hope to have fun, i think were going up around the 11th of July so i'll put a post up to see if any of you guys will be there hopefully we can meet up and have some fun ..

Thanks again
Toby

Just think of it this way, you'll be ridin and on vacation... How can it not be fun?!?! I'm from MA and we just took a trip to the Hatfield McCoy Trails in WV. But we debated if it would be worth it or not.. if we'd have fun or not.. But it was awesome! How could we not have fun riding?!?!

I hear ya about needin dunes too though. We were considering Silver Sand Dunes, but like you we are skeptical, because it sounds like an aweful lot of rules.. I know there needs to be rules for safety since its such a limited area, but I want to have a good time and not have to worry about being harassed the entire time.

Other people have suggested Little Sahara and Glamis... and from the research I have done, they look like they are not only much bigger, but they have a lot less rules.. Of course Glamis is on the opposite coast from us and Little Sahara is a hike too...

I have never been to any of these place... Just heard about them on tv and learned about them on-line. But since Silver Sand Dunes is a 16 hour drive and not as appealing as other places we have decided against going there next. It is 25 hours to Little Sahara, but I am pretty sure that will be our next trip, either this spring or in the fall..

Glamis will hopefully be this Thanksgiving...

Neocon
01-30-2006, 09:11 PM
A group of 5 of us are going to be up there May 11 through the 15. Last year we went the end of april and it ended up snowing on us. But I had great fun.

pit/wood
01-31-2006, 11:04 AM
I feel the need,wont be long now.I went all of last season,rode up for free(the mechanic should always ride for free) had to buy the fuel for my machine is all.I prefer to go during the week.some people only have the weekends,that kinda sucks.went up like 23 times or so,but only 4 times on weekends.crowds are nice,but I like to ride my #ss off and you cant do it without runnin over someone on the weekends.I have this little place(175acres) that 90mins from silver.lots of room for any riders who are good people(as opposed to complete *******s).

02-05-2006, 11:02 AM
hey pit/wood, i appriciate that offer and your knowledge.... my buddy's keep changing their minds about where were going to go, one of them has relitives in wyoming so its looking like we might end up traveling alot further than we planned

Thanks again i'll bring this post back closer to time and see if anybody will want to go or hook up and do some riding

Toby

tar
02-06-2006, 03:27 PM
go to little sahara ok the dunes on that website r tiny compared to little sahara it will be worth the drive we go about 5-6 times a year and they rnt strict at all they even have a bar in the campgrounds if u wunna have fun and not worry about rules go to little sahara

pit/wood
02-06-2006, 03:54 PM
I agree,little sahara is the place to go.we are planning a trip this summer.but if you cant go that far,silver is fun.

02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm definatly going to look into little sahara, were going on my 21st so the bar might be kinda handy..lol... Thanks for all the replies guys keep them coming i'm taking this all in and checking out everything your saying here.

Thanks
Toby