PDA

View Full Version : Need help 400ex rear brakes

Depalma
07-02-2002, 06:17 PM
I lost my rear breaks on my 400ex. I press them down and nothing happens. I was riding next thing I new they were gone and I had no oil in the brake cup. I filled it with oil i also changed my pads when i press on the rear break they go all the way down. The brake fluid doesn't seem to be working or should I say adding compressiion. Anybody have ideas what happened or what I can do. Thanks ther is no sign of a leak.
2002 400ex
ac nerfs
white brothers front bump
white e-series
K&n jet kit:confused:

07-02-2002, 06:19 PM
sounds like ther is alot of air in your line or the part where the caliper slides on the bracket might be seized up.

4punksdad
07-03-2002, 04:18 PM
you need to bleed your brakes. this is a 2 person job.

1) remove reservoir cap & fill w/fluid
2) install resi cap
3) have friend pump brake pedal real fast until he feels pressure,,,,,,,,,,,,,hold it down with steady pressure
4) while holding the pedal down, slow loosen the bleeder nut on the caliper (looks like a grease fitting)
5) the pedal will hit bottom.............when this happens, quickly tighten the bleeder nut.
6) repeat this process until no more air comes out, only fluid.

you will have to refill the resi a few times. wear eye protection & wipe brake fluid off all parts ASAP or it will eat paint. the bleeder nut should only need to be turned about 1/4 turn to release air or fluid.

hope this helps. also try the "frequently asked questions" forum for more topics like this

RideRed04
07-03-2002, 05:22 PM
Hey, rule numro uno in quad repair. Try simple stuff first. Did you pump the brake a bunch of times? After you change pads, you need to push the piston back out by pumping. After that, bleed, and if that fails, check for leaks. One sure fire way to spot a leak is extra dirt around a certian spot. Good luck.

derekhonda
07-03-2002, 05:49 PM
hey gnccer how would you go about unfreezing the cylinder and making it so it doesnt fereeze up again?

dad400ex
07-09-2002, 04:04 AM
It sounds like what happened to me,after I got home from a weekend trip.I pulled the pads out and they looked like 2 peices of paper.I ended up rebuiding the caliper,the little o-ring split,probably from heat.The piston seal kit and o-ring is appox.$15 from Honda.