PDA

View Full Version : would it be crazy?

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 10:25 AM
would it be crazy to make your own a arms? Not saying I would, just wondering though. I'm sure it's hard, anybody ever attempted this?

ZeroLogic
01-01-2006, 10:55 AM
It would be extreamly difficult. Just leave it to the pros.;)

Joe400ex
01-01-2006, 10:58 AM
i have never tryd it but i have thought about it. I now a guy that works with steel and aluminum, and i was going to ask him if he would be able to do it, but he said no.

TheFontMaster
01-01-2006, 11:44 AM
If you know how to work with metal pretty good, could weld, and had a set of a arms to use as a model then it shouldn't be too hard. I want to eventualy make my own parts like a arms, and swingarm, but I don't havea acces to the right tools, mainly a good tubing bender, and I am a good welder, but I need a little more practice untill I would trust my welds to hold on parts like that, that take such a beating.

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 11:48 AM
yea, I probably wouldn't even try unless I had a tig welder to use

I only have a mig. I can stick stuff together good, but it certainly doesn't look good, might look better if I use argon or co2 or something rather than flux core wire.

Rip_Tear
01-01-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm a machinist, but I'd say it'd be pretty easy, provided you copied the mounts from another set of a-arms, and lengths, so you can get shocks set up properly for the a-arms.

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
everybody with aftermarket Aarms should post specs like all the dimensions of their a arms up here so somebody can try making a pair. I'd be willing to give it a try. also it'd be cool to try making a swingarm. Think it could be made out of like 2x2 square tubing, make like a framework of it, then if you want for looks, mold some sheetmetal or something to make it nice looking.

scramblerracer
01-01-2006, 08:19 PM
I am a pipefitter and made a set for my scrambler when I still had it. I only changed the forward set not the width. Stock it came with struts and only a single a-arm so it was an easy set to duplicate. I want to make a set for my Predator to narrow it up 1" each side, but right now I don't have the time or the money. I will use stainless tubing as it is looks nicer when finished. Later Josh

blue416ex
01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
if someone will post me some specs i would make a set of houser LT's without there special ball-socket lower ball joint i would use some regular balljoints on them i have a mig and im pretty damn good welder for my age (not trying to be cocky) but i think i really could do it i just need to know what tubing to use :ermm:

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
yea c'mon folks, post some specs/dimensions! Also swingarm dimensions, like the inner diameter of the swingarm pivot bolt hole, everything important, the hardest part of the swwingarm would probably be the carrier, but I've never personally seen an aftermarket swingarm, so I could be wrong.

pastfast125
01-02-2006, 06:19 PM
nobody? could even post stoc a arm specs and we could try making extended versons and stuff.maybe I'll try mine at some point.