PDA

View Full Version : hard start 400ex

s23599e
01-01-2006, 10:16 AM
i live in quebec city and when temperature is below 5 C,
my 400ex '00 is very hard to start.

i put choke full close, 3 snap throttle shop ( for accelaration pump)
and start.
the engine run but if i not put little throttle, the engine stall because idle too slow.

if i speed the idle for not stall, when engine hot the idle is 3,000rpm

when engine is hot, no problem

I have just k&N filter and main jet 162 ( plug check ok)
if i change slow jet 38 for 42

this is stop my problem????

tank for all

scuse for my english, i speark french :)

400EXtreme
01-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Well 400ex's have always been a PITA to start in to the cold. If you spark plug was fine i dont thikn it would be ur jetting.

s23599e
01-01-2006, 12:38 PM
but a slow jet dont help me for cold starting

fitethesystom
01-01-2006, 03:38 PM
RULE IN THE COLD WITH ANY QUAD OR SMALL ENGINE

Try this - choke briefly, turn over. choke off, turn over. once the bike start's it will feel like it's going to die, if it does, restart - apply choke 1/2 or less do not touch throttle. let it warm up for 10 minutes, and then gently increase throttle. from there on you should be fine. reving when it's ice cold does NOT help and fouls the engine due to lack of heat in the cylinder and thickness of oil.

400exrules
01-01-2006, 03:43 PM
my 400 stays in my garage, it may be around 30degrees outside, but around 50 in my garage, and i dont need to use the choke, i can start it up, first or second push of the button in the garage. But if i push it outside, then i need to use the choke. But im alittle rich cuz i have my lid on so that helps it.

chevyman440
01-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by fitethesystom
RULE IN THE COLD WITH ANY QUAD OR SMALL ENGINE

Try this - choke briefly, turn over. choke off, turn over. once the bike start's it will feel like it's going to die, if it does, restart - apply choke 1/2 or less do not touch throttle. let it warm up for 10 minutes, and then gently increase throttle. from there on you should be fine. reving when it's ice cold does NOT help and fouls the engine due to lack of heat in the cylinder and thickness of oil.

My starter would be dead the first day. I follow the manual...it won't idle for the first few minutes at any choke position. Maybe once I get more than 3 hours on it I'll have better luck :)

This reminds me of the da** r/c car engines. Finicky little things! Of course my real car has no choke either which ain't pretty......

-Matt

wolffie
01-01-2006, 05:16 PM
assuming it is not you jetting, a little starter fluid wont hurt (just dont get to gernerous, lol) 400ex are kinda of a b**** to start anyways! all honda engines are cold blooded but run like champs when you start em. my dad's 83 Big Red three wheeler always took forever to start, but ran great when finally got started (still works great today)

fitethesystom
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
chevy i dont mean hold the starter for 5.5 minutes i mean for a couple rotations.

And, I agree. These bugger's are some hard to start but run good when shes warm... And fouling a plug.... God that pisses me off.
Changing 400ex plug is a freaking nightmare.

Mike,

NCexRider
01-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Try heating your battery and engine head with a hair dryer for several minutes before starting.;)

fitethesystom
01-01-2006, 05:23 PM
So here it is again:

<B><font color="red">-Turn gas on.
-Turn over with choke (couple turns)
-Turn over without (couple turns)
-Assuming it fires, and starts to run, let it warm for 10 minutes.
-If it keeps dying, repeat above procedures.
Note: Do not do this process to many times, you can burn up the starter.
-Once running, after 10 minutes, gentley feather the throttle, and it should be find from there out.

<font color="blue">
Good luck.</B>

400EX QUADER
01-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I do it like this and it works everytime...
1. have choke 100% on
2.press the starter button until it starts to fire
3. when it starts to turn over press the throttle and rev it up at about half throttle and keep it there till it wont stall.
4. actually turn the choke off as soon as you press the throttle half way and keep revving it at the same rpm. It's kinda hard to explain all of this though... Give it a try and I bet it will work...

fitethesystom
01-01-2006, 07:11 PM
i have this problem with forgetting to turn the fuel nozzle on... it really sucks. anyone else have this problem?

midnight
01-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by NCexRider
Try heating your battery and engine head with a hair dryer for several minutes before starting.;)
I just started doing the same thing with a torpedo heater and has helped big time when its cold