PDA

View Full Version : rear suspension?

atvfreak400
01-01-2006, 05:41 AM
I'am looking to buy a new rear shock and I want to know what to look for as far as do I want a long travel,rebuild my stock[elka],a nolink .Can some help me get through allthis mobojombo ,and explain to me whats the best to buy and y thanks

KH426
01-01-2006, 10:24 PM
What kind of riding are you doing? and what what kind of cash you want to spend?

wheeltrax
01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
i went with an elka ssd dual rate rebuild valved for my weight. When i first got it back, i was like whoa, this thing is worse then when i sent it, but then i adjusted the settings for day and wow. I dont think i would ride a stock shock anymore.. i love it. have yet to bottom, and yet its still comfy for riding

atvfreak400
01-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I putting a hybrid motor
it right know and I want to get into motocross part time, when I get done with my projet I do a bit of trail riding as well.I got a set of elkas up front with +2 leager a arms I haven't decided if I'am going to get alonger swing arm or not, all dependes on my buget

01-02-2006, 05:43 PM
go with an elka shock, with the pro link, that will offer you the best setup out there by obtaining the perfect shock angle and the correct shock valving along with springs to offer you no preload, which will make your bike sit lower for better cornering and ride softer, and use the travel you have available :macho

QUADROOKIE
01-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry to jack the thread but what about an Elka dual rate ssd conversion on the stock rear-can I still use the stock linkage? and do you have to have ssd front shocks as well or not? Thanks!!!

Pappy
01-02-2006, 08:34 PM
the rebuilds ive liked the most were a resrung and revalved stocker. i havent ridden many of the elka ssd conversions that i liked.

derisi, gt thunder, cd racing all have done work for me and ive been happy with each shock they have returned. you can run an aftermarket linkage as long as you inform the builder what you are planning to run, with exception, the elka link can not be used on a stock shock (unless they have changed something recently)

01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by QUADROOKIE
Sorry to jack the thread but what about an Elka dual rate ssd conversion on the stock rear-can I still use the stock linkage? and do you have to have ssd front shocks as well or not? Thanks!!!

yes u can still use the stock linkage if you wish 2 to so, i believe gt thunder can revalve it to use their link

no it is not necessary to run the ssd fronts, but you may need to lower your front end, or higher the rear, to compensate for the differance

atvfreak400
01-03-2006, 05:11 AM
so what are we saying guys that the best bang for the buck is to get a elka rebuild with a pro link,that should keep the cost down[500$] and should make me happy with the proformance

400exMO
01-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Where can you get this done^^^?? And how much better would it be than the GT Thunder revalve and link?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
The dual rate rear conversion works great on the 400ex. It is the best bike to do this on it dials in perfect without a linkage. We have two options for this setup one gives you 1" more travel in the rear.

400exMO
01-03-2006, 12:18 PM
But I'm broke and I'm wondering if it would be better than the GT Thunder setup? Which way would the money be better spent?

01-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
But I'm broke and I'm wondering if it would be better than the GT Thunder setup? Which way would the money be better spent?

the gt thunder setup is a very nice setup, as is elka, you can go either way and be pleased :macho