PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke motor work

pastfast125
12-31-2005, 11:47 PM
I've never worked on a 4 stroke...what all is involved in taking it apart.I just need to get the cylinder out so I can get it bored. Also, would getting it bored out and all that and doing it myself void the warrenty? Anybody know where there's a tutorial or something on checking valve clearances? or would that be in the manual?

killen them all
01-01-2006, 12:00 AM
the cam chains always suck for me and then timing it it sucks

Pvt. Maggot
01-01-2006, 12:00 AM
4 strokes arn't much harder to rebuilt then 2 strokes, don't know if you've ever worked on one, but def get a manual before you start, make sure you know everything you take off, basically all you have to do is if the cylinder is all you need off, take the valve cover off, take the 4 head bolts off, pull the head, pull the cylinder, ect. get a manual it will help you TONS! Happy new years and have fun rebuilding your motor :)

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 12:01 AM
do I have to do timing and all that just for taking the cylinder off?

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 12:01 AM
ok thanks, yea I've worked on a 2 stroke. hopefully it'll go good.

atvracer980
01-01-2006, 09:03 AM
4-strokes and automobiles are similar, each has compression strokes and exhaust strokes, they rely upon being properly timed-with the timeing marks at "TDC" to function properly. A clymer manual for your wheeler will explain all the "how to's", clearences, torgue specs ect of your machine. I dont find a 4-stroke no way similar to 2-strokes- the 4-stroke is more complex. Haveing the proper tools help alot ie: metric wreches, sockets , feeler guages that go as low as .003, rubber mattet and maybe some C-4 if it really irritates ya-lol

pastfast125
01-01-2006, 09:05 AM
how much are clymer manuals? where do I find em? ebay? I have feeler gauges, I'm not sure how low they go.does the clymer explain how to do the timing? if not can somebody explain? As far as I now you get it at tdc, get the cam facing the right way, make sure the slack of the chain is on the .....exhaust side?? I could be going completely wrong here.

atvracer980
01-01-2006, 09:09 AM
you should be able to pick one up at your local dealership or auto parts store- they can order one, and yes-they're very specific and show illustrations- and probably run around 30-40 bucks.

Sjorge450R
01-01-2006, 11:42 AM
C&D has them and they are $25

thats were i got mine for my 300ex

m1ke
01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125
I've never worked on a 4 stroke...what all is involved in taking it apart.I just need to get the cylinder out so I can get it bored. Also, would getting it bored out and all that and doing it myself void the warrenty? Anybody know where there's a tutorial or something on checking valve clearances? or would that be in the manual?

if you so much as turn a bolt on the engine while it's under warrenty it's void.... they dont want to pay for your mistakes...

bwamos
01-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pastfast125

Honda Service Manual (from honda, not owners manual)
or
Clymers Service Manual

Above is correct.. doing anyhting and I mean anyhting other than changing the tires, adding nerfs, or skids will pretty much void your waranty, even adjusting the jetting or putting on a new pipe.

FHKracingZ
01-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Them warentee's are a joke. They only cover BIG mess ups. **** when my friend bought his 450r brand new and he bought the extended warentee , his top end went out 5 hours AFTER break in. He took it in and they said its normal wear...

pastfast125
01-02-2006, 12:36 AM
yea my mom bought one of them 1500$$$ extended warranties, I don't really think she should have..and now we're moving to iowa, so it don't matter anymore.

atvracer980
01-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Since your moving to Iowa- you should check out their Harescramble Series- it Rocks !!!!!- First race is in Indianola, Ia on April 2nd, 2006

pastfast125
01-02-2006, 08:37 AM
do you live in Iowa? anywhere near dubuque? Ever ride at bussey(bluff creek)?

atvracer980
01-02-2006, 09:59 AM
No- I live in Mo.- but the past 2 years we've had a race there but for some reason it's not on this years schedule. I think its a great place to ride though.

fitethesystom
01-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Them warentee's are a joke. They only cover BIG mess ups. **** when my friend bought his 450r brand new and he bought the extended warentee , his top end went out 5 hours AFTER break in. He took it in and they said its normal wear...

HAHAHA! I call them Stealers instead of dealers.