PDA

View Full Version : Best Protective MX Boot

zakk54
12-31-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm looking for the best protective race boots on the market! I've had Tech-8's and they were good but I'm looking for a lot more ankle protection (side to side)... I used Six Six One Flight Boots all last season and they didn't have any ankle support and the steel shank was marginal at best! The last race of the year I cased real bad and thought I broke my ankle, I Bruised my Arch Real Bad nonetheless!!!

I have four different boots in mind;

1.) Oxtar - TCX Pro-2
2.) Sidi - Crossfire SRS or Flex Force SRS
3.) Gaerne – SG_10
4.) Alpinestar – Tech-10

Honest race experience feedback and thoughts about the above listed boots or your own choices would be great!!

COST IS NOT A FACTOR!!!! QUALITY and PROTECTION are the only things I care about!!

I would also entertain ankle braces along with a good boot, if there is a better combo out there that someone uses or knows about!

Any Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike B

CannondaleRider
12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Although I have not tried Oxtars

Gaerne SG-10s have the best side-to-side ankle protection i've ever seen, It's impossible to roll your ankle.

Same goes for the front-to-back movement, its very free, for great control. But, about the area your ankle naturally stops, the boots stop it anyways...and very firmly.

If someone was able to hurt there ankles in SG-10s....I think they'd have other stuff then their ankles to worry about.

QuadRacer041
01-01-2006, 10:24 AM
i just got a pair of the sidi force boots. they look like they have excellant ankle support. looks impossible to roll your ankle in these boots as well, i broke both my ankles in the past and ankle support is important to me too.they have very nice front to back movement.these boots are VERY confortable to wear.
the thing that i do NOT like about these boots is it takes so long to put them on. what i mean is boots that i have used in the past arew just that, a boot. these have more like a booty inside the boot that you need to slide you foot into first. which is a pain to do when you have all your gear on. i have noticed that alot of the higher end boots ar made like this, why i dont know. i guess ill get used to it.

CannondaleRider
01-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Thats one more thing I like about the Gaerne boots that i forgot to mention, theres no Inner booty(a piece that I cannot understand the point of)

Also, there not like some Alpinestars(the ones that have the buckles together no matter what), and they Open all of the way, so its very easy to get your feet into them, and once you do, oh my god are they comfortable.

Also, you know how with a lot of boots you have to pull on the buckles really hard? Yeah, once they actually "snap" into place, the boots have the right tightness, and the buckles don't come undone. BUT, its kind of a pain(at least it was for me with some of my older boots)...but with the SG-10s, they are not hard to buckle at all, it feels like your not getting them tight enough, but you getting them plenty tight enough, they're just that good of a buckle. They also don't "snap" into place, you just push them into place, really smooth. I thought they wouldn't hold, but they do.

I'll probably realize some other things that are great too

zakk54
01-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the info everyone! Anyone else with some thoughts or experiences????

Thanks again,
Mike B

ramp rida 55
01-02-2006, 09:22 AM
i am on my 4th pair of fox froma pros and i could not be happier with them. i have gotten in many crashes while racing including my ankle getting caught under the tire and have never hurt my ankle.