PDA

View Full Version : What is a good digital camera?

quailbuster
12-31-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm looking for a good (digital?) camera. The one I have is a 5 megapixel Sony. It takes great scenery type pictures, but doesn't do so well with action shots. The best luck I've had is to take video and then pull still frames from that. I think its the autofocus that is bothering me the most. You have to anticipate the shots and I keep getting blurry pics. I have seen the action pics posted on this site and they are fantastic! Just wondering what some of you guys (or girls) use?

WhiteYFZ
12-31-2005, 01:46 PM
hp r717 is great. Never took anaction shot, but im sure its good. Its 6.2 megapixel .CHRYSTAL CLEAR!i think its around 250.00-300.00.

MOFO
12-31-2005, 01:51 PM
The number of mega pixels has nothing to do with how clear an action shot turns out.

omaits
12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
canon digital rebel. I love mine!!

kenwoodjeff
12-31-2005, 05:42 PM
By the way you will rarely get and decient action shots out of a point and shoot camera. The CCD sensor is on full time and Processor has to focus the ense, meter light, set apature, and than simulate a shutter by turning the CCD off, back on to capture image, off to end image cature, and back on to give you your live view. Than process it to give you a review of what you just took.

rule of thumb:

Nikon and Cannon:
Great Optics, Cannon has better Processor and faster. But Nikon at 6mp will look better than Cannon at 8mp. Beware that canon might be 8mp, it still has the same size sensor (calculating to smaller less sensitive pixels) Also their anti-shake is build into the lens on bigger models (you pay for it each time you but a lense). But both are always optical antishack, never digital.

Konica Minolta:
They lead the way when it comes to antishake, they actually move the CCD sensor. So on bigger models all lenses you put on them are anti-shake. They also have a shake meter that tells you if you are shacking to much to the anti-shake to componsate. They have good optics aswell but not as good as canon and nikon. They actually manufacture the optics for almost all Pentax cameras.

Sony:
Sony does not make good optics on their own. Alot of their high end lenses are made by carl ziest. He is famous for making world class optics with the utmost clariety. He makes lenses for many medium and large format camers used by professional large print photographers. But dont let that fool you, it might have his name on it but anything build for Sony is highly mass produced and the quality suffers greatly. The cannon and nikon glass will kick sonys glass any day of the week. But where sony excells over all the others is the performace of the electronics. They out perform even cannon with their proprietary Digits2 processr. Sony will process images faster and usually download faster when hooked directly to the comuter. But you gonna give up optical quality for fast and easy to use menus.

Pentax:
In my opinion is the most bang for your buck. Not as well known as the big names but has been around just as long as cannon and nikon. They have great glass and usually always made out of glass unless you get a low end point and shoot where you might get plastic. They have easy to use menus and almost always take great pictures under various light situations (unless you just totally screw up setting).

the yazer
12-31-2005, 06:32 PM
I like my canon 20d

300excrazy98
12-31-2005, 06:50 PM
canon digital rebel!

trx400exxracer
12-31-2005, 06:59 PM
My Kodak easyshare has all kind of different modes including an action mode and it is an exceptionaly price:D

quailbuster
01-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Thanks alot guys. Hopefully, on of these days I could contribute some good shots of the fast locals. There is more than just mud riding in La.