PDA

View Full Version : Quiet the noise

REC
12-31-2005, 06:55 AM
The place that I used to ride my 400ex every weekend (private property about 300 acres) was recently shut down due to noise complaints from bordering property owners. The property was being leased and once the out of state land owner heard of the complaints they said no more atv's or dirt bikes. This is a said thing because there would be upwards of 30 bikes there on any giving sunday. Age ranged from 5 to 60ish. There were about 4-5 sport quads with race pipes, the rest of the people owned utility style bikes. The sport quad guys were asked to put there stock pipes back on and they refused. So now no one can ride. Just thought I would share this as a reference to how important noise contol or what ever you want to call it is. Keep the race pipes on the track so we can keep the few riding areas that we have. Personally I had my 400ex built with the 416kit and retained the stock pipe and it was plenty fast. Since I was a non racer it was not an issue that I was missing out on a few extra ponies. Any way just thought I would share this story with eveyone.
Have a good one
REC

Pappy
12-31-2005, 08:29 AM
we are our own worst enemy when it comes to niose!

MR.BIG
12-31-2005, 08:37 AM
That sucks, some people just complain because they have nothing better to do. I was riding my grizzly down the side of the road SLOWLY to get to the trails and this lady comes out screaming for no reason I told her to move back to the city stupid b*itch.

Honda TRX250ex
12-31-2005, 08:59 AM
but loud pipes save lives!!!:(

250rAL
12-31-2005, 09:29 AM
And yet Harleys,by law, need no muffler whatsoever...

ZeroLogic
12-31-2005, 09:40 AM
but loud things sound cool!!

Honda TRX250ex
12-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
yeah but, who would want to make their noise differnt. i love that sound it something about engines that i love and it makes me happy and calms me down. idk about you guys but in the summer when i wake up i can hear people with their dirtbikes and quads and i love it. makes me happy.
i guess im just a motorhead

trx400exxracer
12-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex

whatever

Loud pipes save lives
but Jesus saves souls:D

he saved mine

CannondaleRider
12-31-2005, 10:06 AM
I think more performance exhaust makers need to get to work.

The only 3 quiet/performance pipes I know of are the Duncan Fat Boy 4, the HMF QRS Series, and BlackwidowATV's FlowHVO system(and thats only for Cannondales)

I guess it really wouldn't matter, most people wouldn't buy them.

trx400exxracer
12-31-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
I think more performance exhaust makers need to get to work.

The only 3 quiet/performance pipes I know of are the Duncan Fat Boy 4, the HMF QRS Series, and BlackwidowATV's FlowHVO system(and thats only for Cannondales)

I guess it really wouldn't matter, most people wouldn't buy them.

and Yoshimura makes extra inserts to make it have 3 different level sounds

I currently have the HMF sport series with the quiet core in it

MOFO
12-31-2005, 10:18 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a house with a decent sized lot... you can bet that if the neighbor kids had ATV's with loud pipes, I would be their worst enemy.

The owners of the property atleast gave them an option... what would you rather have... land to ride on or an extra 1 hp and a noise maker?

I'd take the land any day of the week.

Using the Harley as an example is horrible. Odd's are the bike will go past your house once... people riding ATV's could ride in the same area ALL day.

clutt225
12-31-2005, 10:21 AM
The bottom line is that if we continue to run the trails with these loud pipes we are eventualy not going to be able to ride. I personaly love the sound of hp but the masses have spoken and shut down plenty of ride areas in Canada and the US and will continue to do so. Why do we continue to give them amo buy making shorty pipes in search of that .5 extra hp.
Two years ago I made my white bros. pipe into a shorty yes it made a dif but it was alot louder. Its not worth losing the privlage of riding over .5 hp. I now that the people that are complaining
don't understand and will complain and ***** even if you have a stock pipe but why give them a reason.

wow I'm geting old. Two years ago I made that shorty pipe and would have said f them. I geuse you live and learn.

MOFO
12-31-2005, 10:21 AM

How do loud pipes save lives when you have a loud pipe on your own bike.

When I had a "loud" exhaust on my quad and I was wide open blasting down a trail...I would NEVER hear another quad coming up the trail - just my own quad.

MOFO
12-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by clutt225
The bottom line is that if we continue to run the trails with these loud pipes we are eventualy not going to be able to ride. I personaly love the sound of hp but the masses have spoken and shut down plenty of ride areas in Canada and the US and will continue to do so. Why do we continue to give them amo buy making shorty pipes in search of that .5 extra hp.
Two years ago I made my white bros. pipe into a shorty yes it made a dif but it was alot louder. Its not worth losing the privlage of riding over .5 hp. I now that the people that are complaining
don't understand and will complain and ***** even if you have a stock pipe but why give them a reason.

wow I'm geting old. Two years ago I made that shorty pipe and would have said f them. I geuse you live and learn.

I agree with you. Save the loud pipes for races. For regular trail riding... THEY ARE NOT NEEDED!

Honda TRX250ex
12-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
How do loud pipes save lives when you have a loud pipe on your own bike.

When I had a "loud" exhaust on my quad and I was wide open blasting down a trail...I would NEVER hear another quad coming up the trail - just my own quad.
i was being scarcatic, and the only reason why i have a loud pipe on my quad is because it came with it, but im either getting a HMF or just gonna sell my quad and get a another one

ZeroLogic
12-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
whatever

Loud pipes save lives
but Jesus saves souls:D

he saved mine

Praise the Lord!!:blah:

stc416rider
12-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

yup

trx400exxracer
12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

seriously:)

Mxjunkie
12-31-2005, 06:47 PM

Loud pipes on a motorcycle SAVES lives, you dont have tractor and trailers and such crawling up your *** or about to pull out in front of you on a quad in the woods..

The pipes on our bikes meet the legal 95db limit and we are safe when we go ride, I dont have to worry about some *** not seeing me and pulling out in front of me, he will hear me coming..

And yes, Motorcycles have db limits and almost all pipes now have internal baffles..

Actually learn before you say false infomation... :rolleyes:

Honda TRX250ex
12-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Loud pipes on a motorcycle SAVES lives, you dont have tractor and trailers and such crawling up your *** or about to pull out in front of you on a quad in the woods..

The pipes on our bikes meet the legal 95db limit and we are safe when we go ride, I dont have to worry about some *** not seeing me and pulling out in front of me, he will hear me coming..

And yes, Motorcycles have db limits and almost all pipes now have internal baffles..

whats the db on two strokes?

Mxjunkie
12-31-2005, 07:05 PM
whats the db on two strokes?

2 stroke bikes dont pass emissions so they arent street legal, Yamaha has the 350z which is a banshee motor with a few differnces, but that was made in the early 80's, so you figure you throw a exhaust system on one your looking at about as loud as a banshee maybe louder.

Forestry db limit is 95 on 2 strokes and I think thumpers, I know at the races its like 102?

http://texascycleusa.com/_images/84_rz350_34_600.jpg

Honda TRX250ex
12-31-2005, 07:27 PM
2 stroke bikes dont pass emissions so they arent street legal, Yamaha has the 350z which is a banshee motor with a few differnces, but that was made in the early 80's, so you figure you throw a exhaust system on one your looking at about as loud as a banshee maybe louder.

Forestry db limit is 95 on 2 strokes and I think thumpers, I know at the races its like 102?

http://texascycleusa.com/_images/84_rz350_34_600.jpg
oh ok thanks,
my friend just bought a that excat same bike no to long ago lol
bike is really quick

250rAL
01-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Using the Harley as an example is horrible. Odd's are the bike will go past your house once... people riding ATV's could ride in the same area ALL day.

You don't live where I live. From March through November I have them coming past my house. Yes, even when it's in the 20's. They come in large groups and sometimes all day long. They are so loud you have to pause any conversation and you can't hear a TV while they are going past. As they roar out of town, you can here them plainly until they're over a mile away.

Honda TRX250ex
01-01-2006, 08:48 AM
You don't live where I live. From March through November I have them coming past my house. Yes, even when it's in the 20's. They come in large groups and sometimes all day long. They are so loud you have to pause any conversation and you can't hear a TV while they are going past. As they roar out of town, you can here them plainly until they're over a mile away.
that would kick ***** if they came down my road i think

250rAL
01-01-2006, 08:50 AM

How does a loud pipe keep a semi from tailgating you? What is the limit for Harleys? The ones that go past my house are easily 120-130 db. American made bikes don't need mufflers, all others do.

Mxjunkie
01-01-2006, 09:11 AM
How does a loud pipe keep a semi from tailgating you? What is the limit for Harleys? The ones that go past my house are easily 120-130 db. American made bikes don't need mufflers, all others do.

Are you nuts? the loudest system is only 105db, your tc pipes on quads are 112

I dont even wanna hear that bs that they are 120 or 130, thats almost a car with open headers :rolleyes: A air horn is 139db and I dont think any bike will top that

How does it keep semis and people from hitting you? Because you hear it before you see it, it makes them aware that we are there, People almost hit cars because they are not paying attention just imagine being on a bike enjoying your ride and some ******* on a cellphone runs you over because he didnt see you..

hondardr4life
01-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Honestlly, if your just casually trail riding, then you dont need a loud pipe, or the extra power. But for racing, HP is a must have. I could care less how loud my pipe is as long as it makes good power. I wonder how loud my 250r is going to be?? Whats everybody think?

Jake250ex
01-01-2006, 04:11 PM
mesuring things in db's are weird. I dont really agree with the system but then again I dont completely understand it. They say a stock 400ex is around 89-low 90's but then once you pipe it then its only high 90's low 100's. And, obviously it sounds every bit as twice as loud as stock.

However, someone did tell for every 10 db's you go up the sound is twice as loud, which still doesnt make alot of sence to me :confused:

anywho, your r is probably 100-105 db's.

my take on the whole pipe sitatuion - I have honestly never felt a good enough increase in power to justify the price tag. On top of that, they mutlyiply the sound and that can be either a good or bad thing. I have more fun on a stock machine I can ride the balls of off for hours than a uncorked bike that I can only get out for a few minutes then fear the police being in my driveway minutes later. Its happened to me before plenty of times. Having all this said I have pipes on ALL my bikes. However, I never ride them around my neighborhoos or anywhere that civilization can hear the tunes of my motor. The most my neighbors will hear of mine is me firing it up to ride it on the trailer. I think it would be a good ide to have you stock pipe on when your around your house then just put your aftermarket pipe on before you race or som somewhere real to ride. It only takes a few minutes, and usually the jetting either way wont make a huge difference. 90% of riders out there arent even using all the power their quad stock puts out anyway.