PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Parking-Brake Block-Off?

04TRX400EX
12-30-2005, 11:13 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but what are the real advantages to not having a parking brake? I see so many people listing p-brake "block-offs" as a mod and was just wondering what advantage does removing the parking brake serve? Are there any reasons to keep the brake besides its intended purpose to keep the quad from moving?

Pappy
12-30-2005, 11:23 PM
most parking brakes do not work worth a hoot, with the exception of the yfz. thats the first PB that actually worked for me.

most folks remove the PB to add aftermarket levers and to save weight. ill admit, it doesnt weigh that much, and some folks even like teh cleaner look of having less cables.

the brake block off itself is mainly to keep dirt from entering the rear caliper. although there is a seal, the brake piston has a rod pressed into it to acuate the parking brake when used and if left open it can carry dirt into the piston contaminating the brake fluid and causing brake failure.

short answer...

its the cool thing to waste $10 on:devil:

04TRX400EX
12-30-2005, 11:35 PM
That was perhaps the best short answer I have ever heard :p

DAVE14
12-31-2005, 04:43 PM
youll save weight without it & they never worked decent any way when I first got the bike & used it a bit it would drag the pads & cause massive wear

01-01-2006, 05:41 AM
p-brakes tend to adjust too tight and cause pre-mature brake pad wear...they really cut down on that

Honda TRX250ex
01-01-2006, 10:23 AM
i put my parking brake block off because when i rebuilt my cylinder it was leaking out the side by the parking brake. now it dont leak and it works great
id say get them

wheeltrax
01-02-2006, 12:28 AM
i like the cleaner look, plus it doesnt wear on pads as much. Not a fancy mod by any means, but its one less thing to get in the way, plus it never worked well to begin with.