PDA

View Full Version : Stepping it up

tcr450r
12-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, I believe that my rings have gone bad. My quad is burning oil like crazy and I'm sick of buying all this oil. So, my Dad said, if you are going to put in new rings in her just bore it out. Usually he is a freak about messing with the motor so of course I'm going to take him up on this. What is the cheapest, good quality bore kit out there that comes with everything I need? I do have to send the stock cylinder out to be bored, correct? I need some recommendations on who I should send to and who to get the piston, rings, etc from. Thanks for anything.

eastside 400
12-30-2005, 06:21 PM
boring it out and getting a big bore kit are totally different. If your gonna get a big bore kit, some companies make kits that are just a sleeve, piston, and rings, which means you gotta send your cylinder somewhere to have the new sleeve installed, i dont think you can do this yourself but i might be wrong. If your just going to bore it like .10 over or something u gotta get it re-coated which isnt that cheap, What i would do is take the top end off and if the cylinder walls look good just put new rings or a new-higher compression piston in, and spend the money that you would of spent on a big bore into a cam or porting or something on that lines, good luck to you either way, its your call, from what ive heard Athena makes good stuff

tcr450r
12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah i have also heard that athena is pretty good. Thanks for clearing up the bore/bore kit thing out. I dont have alot of experience with the motors yet as this is my first bike that's actually worth modifying. Could you or any one else recommend a high comp piston and rings? And a price? 12:1 is the lowest you can go with pump gas, correct? That is what I would like to do, I don't want to have to worry about mixing gas and spending extra money. Thanks for the reply.

eastside 400
12-30-2005, 10:04 PM
if anything 12:1 is highest, though i think you can go up to 12.75:1-13:1 on pump, The higher the compression the more you need race gas pretty much, you got the right idea's just a little backwards, for pistons i would go with baldwin, i know he has a 14:1 and a lower compression that you can use with pump gas, not sure on the exact ratio but exriders used it on the GNCC XC build up bike, if i remember it was 11.75:1 or something around there. I would get the piston and a good cam. With that setup you should be pretty happy, it seems like you just want it to be faster but your not crazy on getting crazy horsepower and dyno numbers and all, with a good piston and cam you should be set for a while

eastside 400
12-30-2005, 10:10 PM
i just read the XC build up and they said they went with a 11.5:1 weisco piston so i was wrong i guess, just do some searching and you'll find a good piston, i think 12:1 should be around what your looking for, anything higher and u might need race gas

tcr450r
12-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Alright man, thanks for the help. I'll take your advice and definitely search around alot before I buy. I have had a hotcams stage 2 sitting in my garage since this summer, I just haven't had the shim kit to install it. Im thinking with this cam and a piston this thing will rip for sure.