PDA

View Full Version : Frame PC question?

400exr
12-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Pappy I live in Canada and am just in the process of rebuilding my 400ex. I have the hobby PC kit from Columbia coatings and have been doing the little parts on my own in a normal house oven. Now, I want to do my Frame and sub frame. I'd love to send it off to you but the price for shipping is insane. No one in my area has even heard of powder coating, so I have no where to bring it. I am now concidering doing it myself, but I have no way to heat the powder. Do those infared heaters work?? How hard is it to build a big oven, and is it even worth it?? I plan on doing more things in the future. And my last question, is there any other way to do my frame? Thank you so much for any help you could give me!

Steven

Pappy
12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
my advice, get some money and open a shop!

seriously, stay away from the infared heaters on stands. i know several folks that went this route and had very poor results.

building an oven isnt all that hard, but to do it correctly you are looking at some time and money and a bit of learning. i have used 2 ovens that were "built" and ive done ok. i have a commercial oven on order because im to the point im out working the equipment i have and being a full on business means i have to do everything in my power to do the job the best i can etc with the proper equipment etc.

with that said, there are tons of sites on the net that can provide you with ideas, instructions and what not that can help if you really want to build it. you can even use infared inside a built oven, infact the 24 foot oven my buddy has is all infared!

do some reading, ask questions and becareful. electricity, high temps and materials that like to burn can be a bad comination.