PDA

View Full Version : Ostrich

je450
12-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Ostriches are the largest living birds in the world. Native to Africa, ostriches are flightless, a characteristic they share with the emu, rhea and cassowary. For the past decade, the ostrich has been seen as a potential "get rich quick" scheme. In the beginning of the ostrich craze, people in the market saw their original investment increase tenfold. But, as breeding stock numbers increase, potential investors are cautioned that ostrich production may become a financially risky proposition

A male ostrich stands between 6 and 9 feet at maturity, while females will range between 5.5 and 6.5 feet tall at maturity. Ostrich chicks grow about 10 inches per month for the first year and weigh about 100 pounds at 12 months of age. Adults usually weigh between 150 to 330 pounds. Domesticated ostriches reach maturity at 2 to 3 years of age. Females mature about 6 months earlier than males. Ostriches normally live from 30 to 70 years in captivity.

Even though ostriches are flightless birds, their wings are surprisingly strong. Ostriches use their wings for aggressive display and courtship rituals. Males have contrasting bright white and black plumage. Females' plumage is grey and drab. Their lead-blue skin color usually becomes scarlet over the beak, on the forehead and around the eyes during the mating season. The normal body temperature range of the ostrich is between 103 and 104 degrees Fahrenheit. During hot weather ostriches lift and fan their wings, while during cold weather they cover their thighs with their wings. The ostrich is the only bird to have only two toes on each foot. Emus, rheas and cassowarys, which are also classified as ratites (flightless birds), have three toes on each foot. Ostriches are fast runners, and their first instinct upon being frightened is to run. Ostriches can cover between 16 to 23 feet per stride and maintain speeds between 30 and 50 miles per hour for 30 minutes.

The breeding season for ostriches begins in March and April and can last until September. Breeding season length largely depends on food availability, bird condition and weather. Approximately two months before to the beginning of the breeding season birds should be separated into breeding pairs. Groups of one male and two female birds can also be penned together. Bird condition is important because unhealthy and improperly conditioned birds will often be less productive egg layers.

Courtship of ostriches involves elaborate displays by both sexes. Shortly after mating, the female will lay between 12 and 15 eggs. Generally, females will lay an egg every other day. If the eggs are taken from the nest daily, the hen may lay up to 80 eggs, although 40 to 50 is more typical. An inadequate diet may result in less egg production. Ostrich eggs are the largest of all eggs and weigh about 2.75 pounds. The contents of one ostrich egg is equivalent to two dozen chicken eggs.

TheFontMaster
12-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Who's up for some ostrich racing:macho

hawaiiansupaman
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
uuuhhhh..........ok....thanks for the info

hawaiiansupaman
12-29-2005, 10:36 PM
also aint thier brain the size of thier eye or some s^^^ like that???

12-29-2005, 10:48 PM
DUDE its a llama

Pappy
12-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster

when your done, who is up for baked ostrich:devil:

Atkins
12-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Whatchu lookin' at?
http://www.dafyd.me.uk/blog/docs/ostrich.jpg

Atkins
12-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
http://www.aroundtheworldineightyways.com/assets/news_assets/day037/Ostrichracing_l.jpg

chevy71
12-30-2005, 06:14 AM
I would like to make a mean omelet out of one of them eggs. I heard that ostrich eggs are tastier and fluffier than chicken eggs.

PHAT400
12-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Nice book report...:D

mole97
12-30-2005, 07:13 AM
:ermm: somebody's bored!

moto04racing
12-30-2005, 07:33 AM
i think llama racing would be more intense, about an hour from me some guy is selling llamas for like 450

optikid123
12-30-2005, 08:29 AM
we used to have 2 emus at our farm someone gave them to my brother. those things are so stupid haha

stalefish_132
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
wheni was little my parrents had a emu farm of about 300-310 birds, man do the eggs make good panacakes!:devil: emu's are also more calm than ostrichs but basicly all of the birds of that size aren't what you would call pets.

Honda TRX250ex
12-30-2005, 08:12 PM
well, that was interesting