PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new 400 maintenance

shelbygt350
07-02-2002, 09:03 AM
I've had my 2002 400 for about 1 month now. I just finished the break in period (no 5th gear romps) I've changed the oil and oil filter, changed the air filter, checked the chain and all of the hoses and bolts. Is it neccesary to have my dealer check the valves for $160. I know that would be the final step in the break in but the quad runs pisser, and I feel that it might be a waiste of money. One other question, has anyone had problems with break pads sticking? The reason I ask is this weekend was the 2nd time I had my Finace on the back of the machine and 1/2 way through the ride, I could hear a squeaking when I turned HARD right after a few whooptdoos but no squeaks on left turns. It almost sounded like something was rubbing like when the stock skid plate wraps around the rear disk, but I have a DG Swing arm plate with 1" clearence. My buddy behind me heard it also but could not pin point it, could it be the chain guide? The only thing I could find different between my quad and my friends is that my front tires lean in at the top about an inch like allot of race quads do, should I adjust the shocks to 5 and stiffen the rear to (HARD). I'm looking for any ideas because this did not happen the 1st time I had her on the back. Thanks:huh

timewass
07-02-2002, 11:11 AM
No way would I spend $160 just to have them "Check" the valves. Follow THIS (http://www.exriders.com/tech/valves.shtml) and you can't go wrong.

Nausty
07-03-2002, 02:56 AM
i'm not sure but I think the stock 400ex shocks you can only adjust the rebound. Also I would get a clymer 400 service manual because it has everything you could want to know about the quad and how to do and check everything and torque specs, everything and easy to find and read with pictures:D. I wouldn't send it to a dealer to have them check the valves either but it should be revalved after the first 20 hours if I remember right then after that its 40 hours and stays at 40 hours I think.

timewass
07-03-2002, 05:40 AM
The front shocks are only preload adjustable while the rear shock has both the compression and rebound there are small flat screw type valve adjusters on the rear shock.

Oh... and the brake question... I believe it may just be because your bike is new. The shoes are almost new and maybe you're pinching a brake line or something whoci is causing the pads to move out.