PDA

View Full Version : Question for camel back users

86350x
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Do you have any way of keeping it up by your mouth, like some sort of helmet attatchment. Instead of letting it dangle until you need it. Or do you keep it in your mouth at all times:confused:

JOEX
12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
I tuck it under one of the shoulder straps.

Chino
12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 86350x
Do you have any way of keeping it up by your mouth, like some sort of helmet attatchment. Instead of letting it dangle until you need it. Or do you keep it in your mouth at all times:confused:

several people run it right through the mouthpiece of the helmet letting it rest right in front of your mouth during all times so you can snag a drink without your hands, whenever you want...

trx400exxracer
12-29-2005, 09:32 PM
here's how I run mine

I wear it under chest protector
I bring the nozzle and hose up through the neck opening duct tape it there and I usually just keep it in my mouth for the whole 2 hours :D

but I got a under ersey chest protector(thor sentinel) and I am just going to wear it under my jersey and wear my camelback over jersey and duct tape it to my helmet so it will be like right there:p

86350x
12-29-2005, 09:35 PM
They run it thought the front of the helmet?

What sucks though is when I'm on a bike. I have to reach out for it, and you can't do then when riding in soft conditions like sand. Going to have to do something to keep it close to my mouth. Reaching out for it is bad news.

On a snowmobile or an atv its not a big deal though.

XCRACER26
12-30-2005, 01:19 AM
I leave it in my mouth because if you dont, it gets covered in mud and dirt and tastes like $h!t.

400exrules
12-30-2005, 03:14 AM
i got a camelback for Christmas, but i havent used it yet, but it has a bite valve on it that makes a 90 degree angle, so you could hold it in your mouth, but you would prob get tire of doin that. it has a hook on the shoulder to hold it so it doesnt flop around, but u will still have to reach for it. you could try duck taping it to your chest so it stays up towards your mouth.

XCAdam89
12-30-2005, 08:38 AM
I got one for Christmas too, but I still haven't used it. Maybe you could find some way to hold it on the inside of your helmet??

XCAdam89
12-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Also, I got the 50oz. Siren, is that enough?

400exrules
12-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
Also, I got the 50oz. Siren, is that enough?

ehhh, thats kinda small, you prob shoulda gotten the 70oz. I got the 70oz. classic. Depends how long you ride though

XCAdam89
12-30-2005, 02:06 PM
I probably won't drink that much, I just want it to carry me over throughout the race. What would be cheaper, to buy an expansion for the siren to get it to a 70oz or just buy the 70oz.

watts16
12-30-2005, 03:23 PM
I put a ziptie on my helmet and it holds it right by my mouth.

Honda TRX250ex
12-30-2005, 03:27 PM
mouth mouth is a good bug catcher and mud catcher:eek:

Rip_Tear
12-30-2005, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't want to ride with it in my mouth, just incase something happend, you wouldn't want it getting shoved down your throat or something. Putting it through the front of the helmet sounds like a good idea.

JTRtrx250r
12-31-2005, 12:29 AM
How noticable are they when riding? Do they hop around or pull on ya when full?

Ive been wanting 1 for yrs now but just havent gotten 1, I know it would sure come in handy, but I cant stand chit hanging off my shoulders (like a backpack etc)while riding

z400roosteR
12-31-2005, 12:38 AM
I have the 100oz camelback but i always throw it in my backpack(it's has a built in slot and hole specifically for these) and then throw the camcorder etc. in the rest of the pouches. I Rarely use it though for riding.:confused:

Sjorge450R
12-31-2005, 07:21 AM
i got one and it is well worth it. as for the people putting it through the front of the hemet, what they do is they either cut or remove that screen in the mouth piece and put it through there. And for having it flop around, you get used to it. and once you finish it, you dont even relize that it is back there some times.

wildbillz400
12-31-2005, 08:07 AM
I have one and I use it every time I ride. I have the 100 oz bag and I don't even notice it's back there until I'm thirsty. For everyday trail riding I just slide the tube thru the shoulder strap and let it sit there while I ride. I am going to start racing next year and most of the guys that I have spoken with that do race say they put it thru their helmet so they don't have to take their hands off of the bar while racing. I've heard several different ways to rig it this way so I'm just going to experiment until I find one that works for me. That's what I would do if I were you.

Scro
12-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I just got one for Christmas. How hard is it to clean after each use?

trx400exxracer
12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
How noticable are they when riding? Do they hop around or pull on ya when full?

Ive been wanting 1 for yrs now but just havent gotten 1, I know it would sure come in handy, but I cant stand chit hanging off my shoulders (like a backpack etc)while riding

I have had about three of them and I love them most of them have 2 straps in the front that go across your chest and they don't flop around unless your straps are loose:cool:

z400roosteR
12-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
I just got one for Christmas. How hard is it to clean after each use?
I haven't cleaned mine with anything more then hot water since i got it, but maybe thats why ater tastes funky coming out?

wildbillz400
01-01-2006, 04:42 PM
You can also buy cleaning tablets specialy made for camelbacks from rocky mountain ATV. Its in their catalog. I usually poor some medium dish soap in it and run it out with hot water.

400exrules
01-01-2006, 04:56 PM
i washed mine with water and dawn, dish washing soap when i got it

86350x
01-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Anyone got any pics of how the races have there's routed? Haven't tried taking the nose piece outa my hjc.

JTRtrx250r
02-11-2006, 10:57 PM
saw these at a store the other day and remembered this thread, so I picked me 1 up:D just got the Classic. Seems to stay put pretty good even when full:cool: Anyone know if they're supposed to have 1 or 2 straps across the front?:confused:

trx400exxracer
02-11-2006, 11:00 PM
it is always nice to have a camel back

what do you guys put in yours

JTRtrx250r
02-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer

what do you guys put in yours Ice water or gatorade

says to clean it w/ mild soap and hot water, then leave the reservoir open to dry

to freshen= soak w/ baking soda(2 tsps + water)

to sanitize soak w/ bleach(2tsps +water)

1 thing I can see is the tube gettin' danky, seems easier to just replace it than buy the cheazy cleaner kit IMO

prepracing
02-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Chino
several people run it right through the mouthpiece of the helmet letting it rest right in front of your mouth during all times so you can snag a drink without your hands, whenever you want...

thats the best way I've found...also keeps it clean during those muddy conditions. Nothing worse than having to chew off a big glob of mud before u can get a quick drink :grr:

Sjorge450R
02-12-2006, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer

what do you guys put in yours

Lemon Propel.

rpyfz450
02-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I only put water in mine. I leave the Gatorade back at the car. This is probably why mine stays pretty clean.

I usually just rinse it out after each use then a crumple up a couple of paper towels into a ball and stickthem in there to hold the bladder open to dry overnight.

I just discovered Walmart sells a sponge on a handle (fills with dish detergent) that will fit through the bladder's filler hole and let you clean inside very well.

Most hydration packs can be set up for the hose to come out either left or right sides. I think the left side is much better since it's a lot easier to grab the hose with your clutch hand than it is to use your throttle hand.

I prefer the hydration packs from "High Sierra" (http://www.hssc.com/?page=shop/browse&bag_id=5). They are every bit as good as Camel Back and can be found at Cosco for $20. They use the same diameter hose as Camel Back so you can use Camel Back replacement parts which are available everywhere.

Don't get one that's too small. It's uncomfortable to wear a hydration pack that's puffed up like a balloon because you filled it to the top. It's better to have a larger bladder filled half way than a smaller bladder filled completely.

dober250R
02-13-2006, 10:46 AM
anyone ever put beer in their camelback?:macho