PDA

View Full Version : dont know what cam i have?

bdwyer
12-29-2005, 05:01 PM
I bought a 440ex and now i rebuilt the motor and now it will not start. and ideas i checked the timing numorous times but it only backfires every now and then. Also i dont know what kind of cam is in it, it has a M or it would be a W, it could be stock for all i know but i was told it is not stock, anyone have anyideas why it wont start or what kind of cam i have:confused:

huffdaddy_400EX
12-29-2005, 05:25 PM
What did you do for the rebuild?

When you say it "doesn't start" do you have a strong spark? Have you done a compression check?

Please provide more detail for us to help you. :D

bdwyer
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
it has strong spark and will backfire everyonce and a while, it is blowing gas out the back side of the carb as well, the only thing i can think of is the timing for the cam is not right, i have the timing right on stock specs

2muchquad
12-29-2005, 07:32 PM
sounds like the timing is off.when you time the cam,make sure all the slack from the timing chain is on the carb side,if its in front it will throw your timing off a few teeth,enough not to run:)

bwamos
12-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
sounds like the timing is off.when you time the cam,make sure all the slack from the timing chain is on the carb side,if its in front it will throw your timing off a few teeth,enough not to run:)

^^^ yup. I did that on my very first cam change 6 years ago.. lol. Ran like crap.. lol.

Slack should be on the retainer side. The chain should be tight on the exhaust side of the engine.

400exrider707
12-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Actually sounds like its out 180 degrees, if you have gas shooting back out your carb.

bdwyer
12-31-2005, 05:32 AM
thats what i thought, i thoguht i was 180 degrees out so i turned it over 180 degress but it was teh same thing, its down at a how now it seems simple but somthing not right, i'll let u know what the problem is wheni get it back or if i am just an idiot an cant set the timing:rolleyes: