PDA

View Full Version : how could it go wrong?

A A R O N
12-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I've been looking into building a 400ex, and just out of curiosity, what problems might arise if i tried to put an xr400 motor in it? As far as i know, it's the same motor, so it should mount up and work alright shouldn't it? I'd much rather have a kick start instead of electric, but i dont want to deal with trying to make a 400ex motor into a kick start by tearing into the cases and messin with the gears and everything....So if anybody that's done it can give me some advice, what should i be cautious of if i try it? I think i should be able to make the kicker clear....if it doesnt right away, i can fab sumthin up real quick.....

trx400exxracer
12-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by -AČ-
I've been looking into building a 400ex, and just out of curiosity, what problems might arise if i tried to put an xr400 motor in it? As far as i know, it's the same motor, so it should mount up and work alright shouldn't it? I'd much rather have a kick start instead of electric, but i dont want to deal with trying to make a 400ex motor into a kick start by tearing into the cases and messin with the gears and everything....So if anybody that's done it can give me some advice, what should i be cautious of if i try it? I think i should be able to make the kicker clear....if it doesnt right away, i can fab sumthin up real quick.....

if I were you I would get a 250r frame and then put an xr400 motor in that then that thing would be nice but yeah that is a pretty good idea

huffdaddy_400EX
12-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Do a search. There has been threads about putting a xr motor into a ex frame. Some issues have been about the gearing being incorrect and the kick starter not clearing the frame/foot peg correctly.