PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to clean your quad?

400exbat
07-01-2002, 10:38 PM
Anybody out there have something they use to spray on their quad that gets mud and crap off without having to scrub it by hand. I know there has got to be an easier way.

super_man37366
07-01-2002, 11:12 PM
If I want it to look good but not do alot of work this is how I do it:
I spray my quad off very good ( when you dont scrub it leaves brown spots on it after it dries). So I go and get some Son-of-a-gun and spray on it then whipe it (takes care of all the brown spots and looks shiny and clean. Then under the frame of the atv I spray black magic tire cleaner (it really is greasy and shines it up and looks great. and then spray it on my tires.... well thats how I DO IT.... later hope it helps:cool:

Moto92
07-01-2002, 11:33 PM
I use Simple Green on everything. Its works great and its bio so the fumes wont kill you either.

400exRacerX
07-01-2002, 11:50 PM
I use 1/3 wisk and 2/3 water in a spray bottle. Saterate the quad and hose it off.

Jeff
07-02-2002, 09:04 AM
2 words: GREASED LIGHTNING!!!

I swear this is by far the best stuff I have ever used! Went riding in the mud one time and my swingarm got all muddy and brown stained, took some Greased Lightning, came right off, looked Brand NEW!!!

07-02-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
2 words: GREASED LIGHTNING!!!

I swear this is by far the best stuff I have ever used! Went riding in the mud one time and my swingarm got all muddy and brown stained, took some Greased Lightning, came right off, looked Brand NEW!!!

yess jeff, when you ride in the mud things tend to get muddy and brown! must be, cause your a cherokee mud slinger! :rolleyes:

wisk and water in a spray water works great by the way. i wouldnt use greased lightning because it will dry up your lubes (by the aarms, swingarm, ect!) only a ........ would use that

NJ300ex
07-02-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
I use Simple Green on everything. Its works great and its bio so the fumes wont kill you either.

Don't use simple green on everything. Besides taking alot of the grease out of your joints it will fade your plastic and make white spots in it. It's ok to use it just on the engine.

Jeff
07-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Matrix250R

yess jeff, when you ride in the mud things tend to get muddy and brown! must be, cause your a cherokee mud slinger! :rolleyes:

wisk and water in a spray water works great by the way. i wouldnt use greased lightning because it will dry up your lubes (by the aarms, swingarm, ect!) only a ........ would use that

Shows how much you know! Cherokee Mudslingers is a ATV Club. You stupid dumb*****.

Keep talking your $hit pal, im waiting on a response from your ISP (internet service provider), ha, the nukes headed your way...payback's a b*tch!

BTW, Greased Lightning does nothing to your lubes. It might take it off if you wipe it with a rag, but other than that, if you just accidently spray it on there, it wont hurt it. Besides, I dont use it on that stuff anyway, I use it on my plastic, and my swingarm, thats it.

07-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Jeff

Shows how much you know! Cherokee Mudslingers is a ATV Club. You stupid dumb*****.

Keep talking your $hit pal, im waiting on a response from your ISP (internet service provider), ha, the nukes headed your way...payback's a b*tch!

BTW, Greased Lightning does nothing to your lubes. It might take it off if you wipe it with a rag, but other than that, if you just accidently spray it on there, it wont hurt it. Besides, I dont use it on that stuff anyway, I use it on my plastic, and my swingarm, thats it.

dude im joking around with all the posts. didnt we already go threw this? isnt it all gravy we said? you keep taking it in a insulting way when im just f'in wit ya. it was was seriously getting out of hand leo or rico would of let me know and tell me to chill a little bit. a big nuke is coming my way? so when my computer crashes thanks for telling me because i will know who to turn to. :huh

Pappy
07-02-2002, 03:56 PM
any chemical containing any form of degreaser will affect bearings. to what extent is argumentative but doesnt change the stated fact. i keep my quad spottless...period. when i dissassembled my steering stem...the lower bearing was completely void of grease and had a whitish residue. i thought this was dried grease..possible lithium based but it was dried degreaser. it is possible that the seal was bad..i dunno. it didnt appear damaged. my 2 cents

Jeff
07-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Matrix250R

dude im joking around with all the posts. didnt we already go threw this? isnt it all gravy we said? you keep taking it in a insulting way when im just f'in wit ya. it was was seriously getting out of hand leo or rico would of let me know and tell me to chill a little bit. a big nuke is coming my way? so when my computer crashes thanks for telling me because i will know who to turn to. :huh

Its all gravy man...dont worry about it....:D

2qk4u
07-04-2002, 11:03 PM
i use a sand blast machine hahahahahaha

kicken250x
07-04-2002, 11:37 PM
3 words pressure washer!! no wait that is only 2 words oh well... but yes any kind of DEGREASER will take the GREASE out of bearings or anything else that needs it. that is why it is called a DEGREASER. ya know kind of self explanatory just read the name... dont go off on me i want to do ahead and say im sorry befor anyone starts yelliing at me. just my 2 cents...

phatswinn
07-05-2002, 10:09 AM
i just discovered greased lighting yesterday and its the best stuff ever, that and my pressure washer make my quad perdy:D

L.Vegas400
07-06-2002, 05:03 AM
what happened to good old fasioned soap, rag and a garden hose. everyone is talking about doing it in the shortest time possible. if it was an 18 wheeler i could understand the spray on and wash off.;)

07-06-2002, 11:09 AM
just wondering but do you have to re-apply a bunch of stickers every time you wash your 300
patrick

Woodsrider
07-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
what happened to good old fasioned soap, rag and a garden hose. everyone is talking about doing it in the shortest time possible. if it was an 18 wheeler i could understand the spray on and wash off.;)

I guess we're old school:D I don't reccomend a pressure washer on them unless you really went mudding. But with out zerks to push the water out of the bearings it aint a good idea.
A soap and water bath and a bottle of Castrol Superclean keeps mine looking good. After I dry it I spray the plastics and tires with tire dressing and the frame and engine and battery with WD-40
All done in less than a half an hour.
and it looks like this:

Pappy
07-06-2002, 12:33 PM
yep...good ol' soap and water..then some stainless and glass cleaner ....then the honda polish ....then the never dull....then the tire shine...then get it dirty and start over!!

L.Vegas400
07-06-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by 400ex127
yep...good ol' soap and water..then some stainless and glass cleaner ....then the honda polish ....then the never dull....then the tire shine...then get it dirty and start over!!

yeah hehe, what happens to the WD-40 the first ride out of a wash, or do you wash it again before you ride it. i have to keep mine in a garage adn d@mn near chained to something in there so it doesnt get stolen, so i have no reason to spray it with a high quality dust collecter.

just my 2 cents

Pappy
07-06-2002, 02:04 PM
shoot....mine gets chained like a virgin on prom night!!lol!! i dont notice any dust until i hit the track. i keep the garage clean..somewhat!! the wd-40 trick is as old as dirt itself. it does make the next clean up alot easier.

Live2Ride300
07-06-2002, 05:49 PM
ur quad is beautiful 400ex127

phatswinn
07-06-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by lil'_Red_DEMON
just wondering but do you have to re-apply a bunch of stickers every time you wash your 300
patrick

nope, i put the stickers on and then did the plastic renew, there never coming off, and i dont have that many stickers anymore cuz i chopped my fenders so back off my grill yo!j/k

phatswinn
07-06-2002, 08:07 PM
oh yea, and i took the dang headlight off and the nacs stickers off the hand guards so it dont look goofy anymore and im looking into the azonic bars, they look nice

Pappy
07-06-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
ur quad is beautiful 400ex127

thanks .....

Jeff
07-07-2002, 09:24 AM
Phatswinn = STICKER MAN!!!

This guy has stickers on his quad, such as Nac's, and he dont even have any Nac's products?!?!? Whats up with that?? Same goes for the FMF sticker...:huh :confused:

Pappy
07-07-2002, 09:26 AM
if you are refering to my quad jeff,,,READ MY SIG. DAMN..I THINK MATRIX IS RIGHT ABOUT YOU!lol!!

hahaha...i see it now..hahhaaha..but maybe he likes fmf?

Jeff
07-07-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by 400ex127
if you are refering to my quad jeff,,,READ MY SIG. DAMN..I THINK MATRIX IS RIGHT ABOUT YOU!lol!!

hahaha...i see it now..hahhaaha..but maybe he likes fmf?

No, im talking about Phatswinn's stickers, not yours. Yea I like BMW's, I think im going to put a BMW sticker on my 400ex...:rolleyes: HA, NOT!!! I dont guess there's nothing wrong with it, I just wouldnt race with them on there if they dont sponsor you or if you dont have any products by them....

-=Skot=-
07-07-2002, 08:21 PM
jeff , your a **** disturbing jackass:rolleyes:

eldoexrider01
07-08-2002, 08:04 PM
what ever you do....dont put super clean on any unclear coated aluminumn!!!!!!!!! if ya do u better get out the mothers polish!!!!!

07-09-2002, 06:53 PM
well i was washing the ol' 300 and i got the eagle one all wheel cleaner out and sprayed my new pro circuit t-4 silencer with it. well it took my t-4 decal right off, so i have a new one ordered (decal, not pipe) so i shouldn't have asked about any of phatswinns stickers blowing off. learned my lesson.
patrick

07-09-2002, 08:31 PM
i personally dont care, 5 bucks at the car wash to get the mud off, then armor all on the tires and plastic when i get home

07-09-2002, 08:52 PM
wisk laundry detergent

spincr4hire
07-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Crown Spray Power or Mean Green or that Purple stuff.
I find this stuff works great for cleaning your riding gear, too.
I usually spray all my gear down with the stuff, then spray the gear off with the water hose before dumping it into the washing machine. I find this method the best for cleaning my quad.
1) Spray all the excess mud and dirt off with the water hose.
2) At this point I usually take off my Shockwears, and also take my rear fender off and clean my airbox, homemade outerwear airbox lid, and air filter & outerwear if needed (since I have no plastic airbox lid)....throw the Shockwears in the washing machine, it works great !
3) Spray everything down with the Spray Power, Mean Green, etc.
4) Repeat step 1.
5) Take a bucket of soapy water (consisting of spray power, dish detergent, and laundry detergent) and dip a sponge or soft rag into the bucket and go over everything really well.
6) Rinse everything off really well.
7) Dry everything off really well, replace air filter (after it dries), rear fender, etc.
8) Go over all the plastic with tire foam (stp or whatever), as well as the tires.
9) Use some wheel polish or glass cleaner on your wheels to bring back the shine. I usually go over the engine and exhaust at this time with the window cleaner as well.
9) Spray all moving metal parts with WD-40, also lube the chain with chain lube.
10) Re-install your Shockwears after they dry.