PDA

View Full Version : GNCC race with a Z400?

bullet3z
12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
I am looking to get a new quad. It will be one of the 3 in 06 trim, Z400, YFZ450 or the TRX450.

So my question is are there any members using their Z400's for GNCC type racing? This is my ultimate goal for any of the above listed quads. The cheapest and best deal going right now is on the Z400 so that will help later on with mod money. Any info would help, thanks.

coryatver
12-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Just get a 450. If you don't you will regret it later. Get a 450 and some skid plates and 6 ply tires and a tether and you will be good to go.

YFZ450Ridr
12-29-2005, 05:57 AM
if you plan on racing get a 450. the 400s run good, thier not wimps but when u compare one to a 450 there jsut is no comparison. my friend has a piped 450r and it runs so much better than my Z. i do plan on racing my z400 in MHSC but thats only until i can get a 450r myself;)

bullet3z
12-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Wow, I am suprised to hear this. Thanks for being honest. The price on the Z400 is over $1,000 less than the 450's so this is kind of a factor in the new purchase.

450Redrider5
01-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Yeah i think you should definitly get a 450 cause ive rode a piped and jetted z-400 and i was really shocked that it really didn't have as much power as i thought it would have:ermm: . And it is nice to have reverse but the 450's almost weigh nothing so its pretty easy to get them unstuck

QUADROOKIE
01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
If you are an A level rider, then to compete you would most likely need a 450. If you are a good rider just starting out in racing, get the Z and use the other grand for pipe, filter, jets, skids, tires, nerfs, etc. Get your shocks revalved by C&D Racing. I raced this year for the first time in C class IATVHSS on a basically stock KFX400 and was 5th overall for the year. The quad that got 4th used to be Johnny Gallagers-a GT Thunder 450 stroker with full Axis LT, extended swinger, a-arms, etc. Unless you are at or near pro level, its 99% rider. Better yet, if it were me, I'd look for a nice used quad with alot of mods already on it and prolly spend less yet. My .02

Pappy
01-02-2006, 03:59 PM
go look at the stock class gncc year end points results and see just waht can be done on teh Z

personally i wouldnt own one, but with a good rider they can hang

bullet3z
01-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys. I will more than likely end up with the YFZ. As for going the used route, that is what I was going to do. But what they want for used 400ex's and Z400's it will be cheaper in the long run to buy new. That way I know whats wrong with it.

PeeWee21
01-03-2006, 11:34 AM
No offense but Quadrookie is the only one that put in a well thought out answer.....the Z can be made as competitive as any of the 450's with a little cash....especially in the GNCC type of racing. If you still want...then go and buy a 450 for about $6k...then buy a set of 6 ply tires, kill switch, skid plates, nerfs...a good front bumper, i bet a dollar to a donut you'll end up with a pipe. Now add all that up. You'll have alot less in a Z ans still have a very competitive machine.

bullet3z
01-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by PeeWee21
No offense but Quadrookie is the only one that put in a well thought out answer.....the Z can be made as competitive as any of the 450's with a little cash....especially in the GNCC type of racing. If you still want...then go and buy a 450 for about $6k...then buy a set of 6 ply tires, kill switch, skid plates, nerfs...a good front bumper, i bet a dollar to a donut you'll end up with a pipe. Now add all that up. You'll have alot less in a Z ans still have a very competitive machine.

Well since I don't eat very many donut's you owe me a $ dollar. I would more than likley skip the pipe since I am not a huge fan of todays pipe market. I currently have a WR250F and the only thing I did pipe wise was change it to a YZ250F pipe becuase it is quieter and lighter than the stock WR pipe.

The thing that I am afraid of with the Z400 is the resale value that is falling fast due to the LTR450. I understand that is not a reason to run from it but for less that $1000 more I could get the YFZ. It just seems like the 450's are the way to go these days. I am not against the smaller quads coming from a 300ex myself. I just know what can and can't be done with them from my own experience.

bullet3z
01-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

personally i wouldnt own one, but with a good rider they can hang

Pappy, why do you say that? Is there something besides the frame that I should be aware of with the Z400's?

QUADROOKIE
01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
If you are going on strictly what resale value will be then you will have a rude awakening. With the way the quad market is changing and all the new models every year, there will be no difference, dollar for dollar in resale value. In the woods, you can only use so much horsepower. Sure it may help slightly on the holeshots, but if you aren't an above average rider, you won't be able to put that power to good use anyway. Remember, a great rider on a slower quad will always be faster than an average rider on a faster quad. Oh yeah, and reverse...my reverse has saved me a few times during a race, that's something to consider also. I will be honest though, if I was able to buy another quad right now, I would get a 450R, but I love my KFX.

ltz400rider118
01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I ran a 2004 suzuki z400 in 16 harescramble races this year . I smoked everyone in B class and got promoted to A class. My z runs as well as any 450 that I run against. Even in the unidilla GNCC that I ran. So buy the z400 put on the athena 435 kit , a full yosh pipe, intake/exhaust cams, aftermarket filter and I razr rear tires and razr 2 fronts. Next go buy good set of shocks. I run elka piggybacks with compression adjust and a modified stock rear shock. you can't go fast in the woods type racing with crappy suspension. Everyone up this way used hygear performance in lansing newyork to revalve their shocks.

AceLtz
01-05-2006, 01:40 AM
i notice that all the people saying to get a z400 are z400 owners. Im going to tell you honestly get the 450r. I like my z400 but theres no way you can ever convince me that its better than a 450r. Once you start racing and you want more power there are limits to the z400 and when upgrading the engine its easier to get more hp for cheaper with a 450r.

ltz400rider118
01-05-2006, 06:05 AM
hows the reverse work in the 450's???? This is a clear advantage for the z400. The 450's are not that much faster in the wide open either. why spend the money on a 450 when you dont have too.plus the 450's are not as reliable!

kawai 521
01-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Bullet...i see that you live in the Northeast. I would recomend the Z-kfx. If you plan on racing in the northeast in a hare-scramble type event the 450 is not going to benifit you. THe trails are very tight. open sections are few and far between, where more motor would really benefit. Plus for a little money the motor can be made to compete. I found the greatest upgrade is suspension. Buy the Z, get some new shocks tailored to your wieght. The suspension will do more for your speed than any motor-mod. I've raced a Z and a KFX. I consistintly place in the top 5, and took 4th in my class @ Unadilla this year.

fast_enough
01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ltz400rider118
plus the 450's are not as reliable!

Please tell me your kidding, I have a KFX, and I'm telling you go w/ the 450r. Plus the Z's do have alot of probs. the 05 and 06 have bad probs too, the antifreeze makes its way down to the magnesium cover and destroys it. But hey dont let me decide for you.

450's are not as reliable... lmfao, you are a diehard zuki fan arent you?

Flynbryan19
01-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Everything has its problems......

Yfz's have had electrical issues as well as several reports of wrist pin failure from poor lubrication. Also subframes are known to be very weak as well. Oh, and how about the common water impeller seal failure....? 450R's have a WELL known frame problem, and the 06's are being very slow to start/turn-over. The 05's were also having crank failures with not even 50hrs on them.

The Z's coolant problem can be solved as easily as changing the coolant. Timing chains are known to wear prematurely, but are easily replaced and stronger alternatives are available. The 03-04's were known to have weak frames, but are supposed to be stronger for 05-06'.

If you are serious about racing all the time, then sure, get a 450. But, if your a weekend warrior and race only time to time and mostly trail ride I'd still say get a Z. Its alot cheaper, and I really like the cushy ride and reverse. I don't think that the 450's are less reliable, I just think they require more maintnance.

kawai 521
01-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I have a 05 KFX and i have no problems at all! It is called maintance! The only way that antifreeze can become corrosive, is if it is NEVER changed. IF you have this problem, then CHANGE your fluids. All machines have thier querks, but with proper maint. these problems can be avoided. As for the frames, any stock frame HAS to be gussted to be raced. In stock form they can't take the beating. Im not saying the z/kfx's are better than the 450's im saying they are a good quad and can be made to compete.

Flynbryan19
01-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by kawai 521
I have a 05 KFX and i have no problems at all! It is called maintance! The only way that antifreeze can become corrosive, is if it is NEVER changed. IF you have this problem, then CHANGE your fluids. All machines have thier querks, but with proper maint. these problems can be avoided. As for the frames, any stock frame HAS to be gussted to be raced. In stock form they can't take the beating. Im not saying the z/kfx's are better than the 450's im saying they are a good quad and can be made to compete.

Welcome aboard Kawai 521. I agree with your post, but check out the Suzuki forum a couple pages back and find the thread about 05-06' Z/Kfx/Dvx corrosion. There actually is a SERIOUS problem going on right now with the use of the Magnesium side covers on these model years. If yours is an 05' yours is corroded too. You'll find the right kind of coolant to use in that thread as well.

kawai 521
01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
thanks flybryan. Yea i know about the coolant, and have been using it since day one. I race with 12 other guys that all have Z's and they have had no problems with this. I was suprised to hear people saying that.

mike nash
01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I have both 04 450r and a 04 z400. Love the z for the trails w/family. But when it comes time to race 450 all the way. The 06 honda has more power this year also. I must say the hop up kit and 13t sprocket was a must on the 04. Good luck

Quad Boy 660r
01-20-2006, 10:37 PM
The '03 Z 400 had more power than I had expected. The one I rode had Yosh full exhuast and some other things. However, I have no experience on the newer ones yet.
Of the three 06s, I would get the 450ER. However, I know a guy with an 06 450ER and it is in the shop for electrical problems (namley starting). I have no idea if this is a wide spread problem or not, just giving a heads up.
The YFZ is just not a woods quad IMO. It may be because I'm not fast enough though. I am a Yamaha Fan, just so you know.

HB300ex
01-20-2006, 10:47 PM
i love my kfx, but if i could do it again i would get the 450r, its just a better platform to build from. period.