PDA

View Full Version : Stripped case threads?

sixer3
12-28-2005, 10:06 PM
alright well we installed my curtis sparks timing advance key today and stripped on of the stud threads inside the case on the bottom half of the case, after the new seal and stuff i warmed it up real good rode it around a bit, and it seems to be sealing up nice, oil pressure seems good, would you recomend riding it in the dunes this weeken, i can get it fixed after i just need it this weekend, let me know if you think it will be good for long term day riding and stuff, seems like it should be ok as long as i keep an eye oni it and the op

12-29-2005, 12:09 AM
I have like 3 stripped in my case... I just replaced them with longer bolts that have more threads.

They striped on me because the bougus hex head bolt kit that I got had bolts that wernt quite long enough. So each bolt had like 1/4 inch of threads in the case.

anyways. Iwould say ride it but just keep an eye on it.

sixer3
12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
ok ya thanks thats what i was thinking, its one of my shorter bolts so how much room left in the case should there be left of threads

Clarity: how much longer of a bolt should i go

12-29-2005, 12:19 AM
well I just got a bolt that was clearly to long. then measured how far into the case the hole went with a pice of heavy wire. Because if you bottom out the bolt that is bad.

then I just put washers between the cover and the bolt till the bolt went in so that it almoast bottomed out.

... that doesent make scence..

like 3/8 longer bolt. any extra bolt fill in with washers. DONT bottom bolt into case...

12-29-2005, 12:20 AM
worse comes to worst. buy a heli coil set. they replace the threads with like a spring thing. pretty cooll.

sixer3
12-29-2005, 08:40 AM
cool thanks a lot for the help guys