PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber?

pastfast125
12-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Anybody ever work with making your own carbon fiber stuff? how hard is it to form things, I'm not owrried about strength just wanna make some cool looking stuff for the truck.

pastfast125
12-29-2005, 12:35 AM
hmm...this is like fishin...I don't like fishin.:D

je450
12-29-2005, 12:46 AM
correct me if im wrong but i think carbon fiber is an old old wooden ship.

pastfast125
12-29-2005, 06:35 AM
what:huh ?¿?

moto04racing
12-29-2005, 09:53 AM
carbon fiber isnt a ship, its made of carbon i think, that would be my guess, but i know that you can heat it up and put somewhat of a curve on it or bowl type shapes indentions without getting creases

bwamos
12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Laminated Carbon fiber parts are created very similarly to Fiberglass parts except instead of having random glass fibers in a resin you have sheets of unidirectional carbon strands layered on top of each other in a resin. Every layer perpendicular to the previous layer. Like Plywood.

If you are proficent with making fiberglass parts, you can make carbon fiber parts pretty easy. Generaly they are built on forms. A lot of people use a layer of cellulose over the forms so after it's made it isn't stuck to the form and the part can be soaked in water to disolve the cellulose that is stuck to it.

Loser450
12-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Where could this carbon you speak of be purchased??? I'm pretty handi with fiberglassing...

Rip_Tear
12-29-2005, 04:17 PM
bwamos is right, if you can make stuff out of Fibreglass well or good even :p You can probaly handle making stuff with carbon fiber. The hardest part is the forms and making sure you stay on the forms. Make sure you have proper ventilation (mask etc) for doing this stuff, the dust from sanding and even cutting the material can be very bad for you.

roperr
12-29-2005, 06:20 PM
It is simular to fiberglass!! You use molds, but they are vac. molds. you can't have any air in it. It takes a lot of time to profect. You buy the cloth based on weight and weave size, and it is not cheap either. If you have ever heard of CarbonFiber Works, Mike's shop is next to my shop. I have watched him make pieces, and it is not easy.