PDA

View Full Version : New cam AND piston break-in...

skemp
07-01-2002, 10:11 PM
Hey guys, I am installing a 416 piston with a HC Stage 2 cam, and I need to know how I should break this in. When installing a new piston, you need to let the engine idle for a period of time, and then ride it while varying the engine RPM, correct? Ok, now, per the specifications of Hot Cams, when installing their cam, you absolutely cannot let the engine idle, and keep the RPM's above 3000 for 20 minutes. So what should I do since I need to break in both? Thanks if you can get me pointed in the right direction.

VegasEx'r
07-01-2002, 11:04 PM
New cams don't like to idle, and new rings like a varying range of RPM's. When I have broken in a new piston & cam at the same time, I would keep the RPM's at 1500-3500 for the first 20 minutes or so. After that I would change the oil & filter. I would still go easy on the engine for the next 2-3 hours while the rings seated. I would change the oil again after about 4 hours of moderate riding (not winding it out, not pinning the throttle for more than 1-2 seconds). After that I would ride it hard. That has worked out well for one street rod & a couple of ATV's.

MIKE400EX
07-02-2002, 06:54 AM
Skemp, follow Vegas' tips and you'll be OK. The piston and rings will get along better if you vary the RPM, as with the cam. Just don't let it idle for any longer than it takes to get it going. Also ride it around easy, don't let it sit in neutral while keeping the RPM up >>> it's air cooled and needs the circulation. A medium size fan will help in a pinch. Good Luck!

knighttime
07-02-2002, 07:47 AM
to break in a piston and cam. NOTE: Do not let your quad idle while breaking in a cam.

Ride quad easy (no wot) for 20 minutes. Let it completely cool down. The again ride quad easy (no wot) for 20 minutes. Let it completely cool down.

Congratulations, u r now broken it. :D