PDA

View Full Version : Bullet proofing.

rookiex
12-28-2005, 05:16 PM
How much would it cost to get the whole crank update done an some other updates.Z400 barrings billet crank and work......Does haydug still do work on dale?

Some help I might keep my dale as a back up.

happyboy
12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
Cost is really only relative to what all needs to be done...but here is a shot.

assumption--> Your crank is worn by now so it will have to be stroked.

475--crank stroking
100--stage 8 kit
15--oil line update
60--aluminum implellar
20--shorty air horn
60--decomp reworked (tightened)
139--aluminum valve cover
xxx--labor

the decomp and valve cover are items that you won't know if are needed until its torn down.

For your motor contact Timbomoose...he is up in Penn and is one of the best and fastest since the crank will be coming from him anyway. :) Tim-->814-796-6667

armoks
12-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Last I heard tim was backed up you might want to call him.

Derno24
12-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by happyboy
Cost is really only relative to what all needs to be done...but here is a shot.

assumption--> Your crank is worn by now so it will have to be stroked.

475--crank stroking
100--stage 8 kit
15--oil line update
60--aluminum implellar
20--shorty air horn
60--decomp reworked (tightened)
139--aluminum valve cover
xxx--labor

the decomp and valve cover are items that you won't know if are needed until its torn down.

For your motor contact Timbomoose...he is up in Penn and is one of the best and fastest since the crank will be coming from him anyway. :) Tim-->814-796-6667

Now if we are talking cost here my list would include:

If the crank is done then it isn't necessary for the stage 8 or the oil line update. It would be your choice on the aluminum impeller. Meaning if it were me I would do it, but if money is the issue than save it. Shorty sir horn???? What the heck does that have to do with reliability? I would have Doug check the Decomp and if the cover is messed switch it if not keep using until money is available.

So instead of $869

How about minimum best case $475 or worst case $674.

The stage 8 was necessary due to poor assembly and when you had a bad crank. Better crank and red loctite and she is good to go. Oil line update isn't necessary is all the other is good.

happyboy
12-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Derno, he did say bulletproof. Stage 8 is bulletproof. You can still get a bolt that the loctite didn't take on and it could back out.

:D

jacobw
12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
he can also save 100 bucks if he dont want to stroke the crank and go with stock rebuild:D

rookiex
12-30-2005, 05:24 PM
is it worth it guys? b/c im also thinking about getting my a-arms re powder coated. a gibson swing arm an elka rear on it too.An keeping it for a nice practice quad.

jacobw
12-30-2005, 05:27 PM
of you have you crank redone and you have the factory stud update you can loctite and have more than enough security you have gotten rid of the main vibration so the bolts will not backout and as far as stroking the crank goes it will depend on your budget I would recommend it. YOu will definately have a very reliable bike if you update you crank!!!:D

Heybo
12-30-2005, 06:30 PM
The stage 8 kit is overkill .....just red locktight the bolts. Most people don't apply locktight correctly! Clean the holes out good with carburetor cleaner and blow them dry with compressed air. Then put the locktight in the holes (not on the bolts). If you put the locktight on the bolts, then most of it squeezes up the threads as you screw the bolts in and you don't get the full locking effect of it!

Brad at Blackwidow ATV sells stock rebuilt cranks for less than a stroker crank (about $325 I think). You can also get a stock piston and sleeve for about $115.

happyboy
12-30-2005, 11:18 PM
Stroker is well worth it. I love the low end power they have compared to a stocker.

And how is the stage 8 overkill? Its does its job and for $100 you can get a guarantee that those bolts will not back out. sheesh
For all the damage one of those bolts can do its well worth the 100 bucks. IMO

haydug
12-31-2005, 07:21 AM
Bring it down, we'll square it up for you! Although I'm not sure what a shorty air horn will do for reliability, we can add that as well for a small performance gain.
We can go with a new crank, rebuild crank, falicon crank, stock piston, JE piston, stage 8, stud update, loctite, etc. etc. No-one can give you a true estimate without first looking at your motor.

aroracer72
01-02-2006, 02:32 AM
How about tank proof???

Get a falicon, and let doug do the rest of his magic....it will last for ever.
CHAD