PDA

View Full Version : 300ex with 400ex front shocks and a-arms?

mike c s
12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
i was thinking about geeting 400ex a arms and front shocks for my 300ex. i was just wondering what all it involves to do something like that.also i was wondering if anyone had any pics of a 300ex with the 400ex a arms and shocks.... thanks

RRP
12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
not to be rude,but you really need to do a search.This question has been asked a dozen times just in the past
month alone.Anyways yes the arms will fit but the geometry isn't correct causing steering problems throughout the suspension travel.They are a direct bolt up.The shocks will fit if you use an adapter for the upper mounting holes.There is 2 styles being sold on ebay at the moment just depends on how much you are looking to spend.

mike c s
12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
ok........ thanks

ZeroLogic
12-28-2005, 03:50 PM
i wouldnt do it the geomentry isnt right
if your going to do it do it right and spend the extra money it will be worth it

mike c s
12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
i wouldnt do it the geomentry isnt right
if your going to do it do it right and spend the extra money it will be worth it

well say i would do it and spend the extra $$$$ would it make the steering worse like the other guy is saying or would it make it worse by doing a half ***** job

ZeroLogic
12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
do a search around the site you will find all of your infomation

when you do the 400ex front end conversion your increasing the bumbsteer and putting a lot of stress on the tie rods they can bend or even brake and do a lot of damage to the frame

or you can spend the extra money have it done right have perfect steering and not have to worry about braking anything

your choice;)

300ex_#387
12-28-2005, 05:32 PM
I did it....It's better than stock. I wouldn't say it's the best thing I could have done, but I dont regret doing it either. Really the only thing I liked about it was extra width. The 400 stock shocks seem worthless to me. I will be getting some 400 works, and seeing how that goes. The only reason I did it is because I didn't have enough money to buy a good set up, and have enough money to get everything else I needed to race.

reconmaster
12-29-2005, 09:08 AM
i did best mod outside of the durablue axle yet and its a great money saver i have only had to re align it once since i did it
it took a gravel mx track flat landing up to 60ft to bottem the fronts out on the wekest setting
heres what my friend did for me
he cut the shock towers off raised them 3inches because you get +3 out the set up and made a support brace
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i70051796_45523.jpg
the bracket work plus raising the front fender mounts
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i70051820_77205.jpg
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i70051814_56897.jpg
and some round tubing added for gusseting purposes
http://pic.piczo.com/img/i70051804_47254.jpg
just type this topic in search thats what i did and i got loads of ideas and help i find minds better set up because it saves loads of work when riding to your frame since i notice set ups witht he shocks straight up (which causes botteming out quicker and premature wear to the frame) you need the aarms shocks and tie rods pretty sure you can still use the same spindles o ya don't forget about balljoints. when you are looking for a set try to find ones that are not worn out i got lucky the guy who i bought mine from gave me a sweet deal and only used the shocks for 1 or 2 years no hes got a hsd/strong arm set up with elkas

300ex_#387
12-29-2005, 11:38 AM
wow...he made those mounts pretty beefy...

reconmaster
12-29-2005, 01:48 PM
still holding up and no signs of wear yet:D

300ex_#387
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by reconmaster
still holding up and no signs of wear yet:D

Does he do that prefessionally or not? It looks like a really good job. I bet your set up is a little better than most. Since you top shock mount is right above where the stock one was it makes your shock more angled out than sticking more straight up.

reconmaster
12-29-2005, 04:43 PM
well hes farmer but he knoes his stuff plus we noticed about the straight up thing and he told me on how it would vause problems for aframe from hitting jumps and racing mx plus those adapters you can buy are not as strong cause they are not a sold piece of metal compared to bolt on a load
a good idea is to bolt everything except the shocks and get your aarm angle properly for the shocks so the geometry is right i watched it assemble together learned a few things that night trust me good thing to do and if you ave to cause the shocks are toast(400ex shocks) you could upgrade to stock length peps, axis, elkas, etc