PDA

View Full Version : Stripped!

400exrules
12-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok 2 small, yet aggervating problems. I got IMS heelguards for Christmas to go with my ims pegs. Well i started to put them on today, and the mounting hole at the top of the heelguard has been stripped.....this is probably why my stock heelguard mounting bolt fell out of that hole. I can screw a bolt into the hole and it will not pull out by hand, but it will not tighten all the way down either. Should i just load it with blue threadlocker? I want to make sure it doesnt fall out.

And on the other side, the hole is not stripped, but it doesnt line up with the mounting bracket...:rolleyes: :huh
I dont normally like to drill out holes, because of the possibility of weakening the area, but i really dont feel like sending these things back to them. What should i do?

the arrow shows what hole is stripped, and the yellow dot shows where the mounting hole actually is on the left side of the quad, on the frame....... compared to where the hole is on the heelguard.......if that makes any sense. basically the heelguards hole is higher then the mounting hole on the frame

Scro
12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
On the side where it is not tightening up, you could try to get a longer bolt that goes all the way through to the other side. Then just put a nut on that bolt. This will work if the hole goes all the way through the frame.

If not, you may have to tap the hole out and get a bigger bolt.

On the other side, try just starting all the bolts before you tighten any bolts down. That way, the heelguard is loose and you can move it around.

duke416ex
12-28-2005, 03:03 PM
^^^Sounds like a plan to me, just remember, if it doesn't fit at first, get a bigger hammer.

400exrules
12-28-2005, 03:06 PM
On the side where its not tightening, i might be able to tap it out, but im not sure, their isnt much space left to tap it out. and its way to small of a gap to be able to put a nut in their too.

And on the other side where its not lining up, i even loosened the footpegs and contorted everything around, and the closest point i could get it to, wouldnt even let me see the hole by looking through the heelguard bracket:ermm:

but i just called my dad, and he's gonna drill it out for me when he gets home cuz i dont trust myself to do it

Scro
12-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
and its way to small of a gap to be able to put a nut in their too.

Maybe JB weld (or just weld) a nut on the frame on the side with the bracket, where the hole originally was and then just screw the bolt into that nut. :blah: I don't know; kinda off the wall, but I'm just trying to help:D :p

400exrules
12-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by bama450r
Maybe JB weld (or just weld) a nut on the frame on the side with the bracket, where the hole originally was and then just screw the bolt into that nut. :blah: I don't know; kinda off the wall, but I'm just trying to help:D :p

hey thats a really good idea:D , but i dont have a welder:( so im gonna have to try and tap it out, thanks for the help!

hardkoratvmxr
12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
just tap it you will probably be happier

Plante400
12-28-2005, 03:54 PM
im not trying to insult you but, loosen all of the other mounting bolts and see if that top one will go to where its supposed to. as for the stripped, just tap for bigger threads or if u want to to be really strong.. just drill a hole and put a bolt thew with a washer and a lock nut on the other side.
i had to do that with a mounting bracket for my plastic