PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problems

dober250R
12-28-2005, 07:51 AM
I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive with the hemi. I'm having problems with my alternator. The darn thing is sqealing like a stuck pig. And I noticed the volts are up on my gauge. Anyone have any input on this? It's under warranty, but I don't have time to take it in before this weekend and I need my truck this weekend. So i'm going to hold my breath on a 3 hour road trip that i'm taking this weekend. I can't hear the sqealing when i'm cruising down the highway, but when it's idling, it's sqealing really bad. Thanks,

Adam

Pappy
12-28-2005, 07:54 AM
could be a bearing in the alternator, or even the tensioner pulley

in any event, get it fixed. the alternator has abad way of taking more expensive piece out if it fails...i.e. your computer

dober250R
12-28-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah, the high voltage is what scares me. That can fry a computer quick! I just want the darn thing to shut up. I'm going deaf trying to keep my radio up loud so I can't hear it.

TheFontMaster
12-28-2005, 08:02 AM
You really should get it into a shop to atleast get it looked at before your trip. It could save you more money later on down the road, no pun intended.

dober250R
12-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Cheese and rice, they can't get me in until tuesday. Looks like i'll have to borrow one of my parents' vehicles this weekend. I'm gonna throw some belt dressing on it tonight and pray it's the belt, I highly doubt it though.

dober250R
01-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I took my truck in today and the diagnosis was the generator was noisy, replaced generator assembly. In other words, new alternator. She purrs like a kitten now!!!! All free!!! Gotta love the warranty!!!

watts16
01-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
could be a bearing in the alternator, or even the tensioner pulley

in any event, get it fixed. the alternator has abad way of taking more expensive piece out if it fails...i.e. your computer

glad you go it fixed... it was a good thing you took it in. My mom drove my dads truck for like 4 hours with it squealing and finally it locked the belt cought on fire the blades went threw the radiator... it was like 1500 in repairs