PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Video

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 07:14 AM
I have some video of my son riding his new LT80 that he got for Christmas, can anyone tell me how to down load it on my computer so I can send it to some relatives that are out of town. I have a sony vidoe cam that shoots on 8mm. Any help would be appreciated. I have seen some of you guys shooting video's of jumping etc.
Thanks

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by EXMARK
I have some video of my son riding his new LT80 that he got for Christmas, can anyone tell me how to down load it on my computer so I can send it to some relatives that are out of town. I have a sony vidoe cam that shoots on 8mm. Any help would be appreciated. I have seen some of you guys shooting video's of jumping etc.
Thanks

Is it a Digital 8? If so you probably have a Firewire (aka IEEE1394) connection on it? You'd need a cable from your camera to your computer (assuming your computer has a Firewire card also). Then with the proper drivers installed you can easily capture the footage over using some video editing software. Windows has the "movie maker" software built in on Windows XP and ME. Most Digital video cams also have USB ports but the quality is normally not very good as the video is highly compressed.

If your camera is not digital, then you would need a video capture card to get the video onto your computer. They also make some external capture devices for capturing analog video....I recall something called Sparkle or something like that....it's a piece of hardware (with software too I'd say). It's really hard to get a good capture of analog video on a regular PC without a lot of tweaking.

If you could post the model # of your camera it would be easier to tell you exactly what you need.

-Josh

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 09:27 AM
My handaycam is a digital8 model TRV530. The book says I need a dv in/out cable or I link. I did some reading up on the windows media player and it talked about the firewire card etc. I do have a 1394 connection but I don't have the firewire card.

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 09:39 AM
My handaycam is a digital8 model TRV530. The book says I need a dv in/out cable or I link. I did some reading up on the windows media player and it talked about the firewire card etc. I do have a 1394 connection but I don't have the firewire card.

You have the 1394 connection on your computer? It looks almost like a USB connection with one end that is sort of rounded off. Or it's a very, very small connection (like the DV port on your camera).

If you have the connection on your computer then all you need is the cable and you are set.

Then you can use Movie Maker which is in Programs>accessories>entertainment>

-Josh

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 09:45 AM
I do have the 1394 connection, do I need the firesire card? or can I just get the cable?

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 09:47 AM
I do have the 1394 connection, do I need the firesire card? or can I just get the cable?

The 1394 is your firewire (whether it's a card or off the motherboard doesn't matter), so you are set. Sounds like you just need the appropriate cable and you are golden.

-Josh

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Josh, I really appreciate your help, I will get the cable and when I get it loaded will post in the mini quad section.
Thanks again.

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Josh, I really appreciate your help, I will get the cable and when I get it loaded will post in the mini quad section.
Thanks again.

No problem.....any other questions feel free to ask. I'm not an expert by any means, but have done what you are doing quite a bit.

You will be happy with the firewire, it's awesome.

-Josh

omaits
12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
You may already know this but...

Do not buy a cable from the manufacturer!!! Panasonic wanted something like $50 for a firewire cable. I bought my on eBay for $7 shipped. It will work just as well as long as it is a 4 pin to 6 pin cable.

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
I didn't know they were that expensive, but have to have one to do what I want. Thanks for the info.

SGA
12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
I have the same Camera as you and the firewire cable is expensive, 30-40 bucks or so at Bestbuy.

Its a must have though because it takes a really fast connection for the video to stream into the computer. USB is not fast enough. Never tried USB 2 with a camera though.

I use windows moviemaker and it works well for me.

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes Deff. get one online if you can stand to wait a week or so. I think we got ours on overstock.com but not sure if they have them anymore or not. Ebay works too. Wherever you can find them.

Otherwise if you need it "now" you are talking like $30-$40 or more as already mentioned.

-Josh

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm watching one on e-bay it says its a eeee1394 firewire 6pin to 4pin its like 5.50 with shipping is this what I need? Or does it need to say dv/i link cable

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm watching one on e-bay it says its a eeee1394 firewire 6pin to 4pin its like 5.50 with shipping is this what I need? Or does it need to say dv/i link cable

Well the question is....Is the 1394 connection on your computer, larger, or the same size as the one on your camera?

If it's larger, the 6pin to 4pin is what you need....if it's the same size then you need 4pin to 4pin.

-Josh

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 12:18 PM
I just checked it needs to be 4pin to 4pin same size on both. I asked the guy selling the cable on ebay if this was a DV/i Link cable and he said it was not the same. his add states its a firewire. Should I be looking for a specific firewire or just a 4pin to 4pin?

JLanphear
12-28-2005, 12:23 PM
I just checked it needs to be 4pin to 4pin same size on both. I asked the guy selling the cable on ebay if this was a DV/i Link cable and he said it was not the same. his add states its a firewire. Should I be looking for a specific firewire or just a 4pin to 4pin?

If it's the 4pin to 4pin firewire it should work fine. I thought that was also called i.link but I could be wrong.

EXMARK
12-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks again, I think I will order one off e-bay its only $5.50 for the cable and he has the 4pin to 4pin.

XCRACER26
12-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Not to hyjack the thread but I have a question. I have a digital video camera, and when I put it on the computer I cant edit or nothing because it sees the video file as a quiktime file. is there a way that I can transfer the q-file to a window compatible. the camera does not have any options about it.

EXMARK
01-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all your help jlanphear, here is the video. not the best video quality but works for me. go to this link www.putfile.com/exmark
thanks again

trx400exxracer
01-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all your help jlanphear, here is the video. not the best video quality but works for me. go to this link www.putfile.com/exmark
thanks again

haha

I hope he has fun on it a lt50 and 80 were 2 of my first quads

we may have a future champ on our hands:D