PDA

View Full Version : got an LT80 need some advice

DVXchic
12-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, We finally got a LT80 for tyler. It has a few engine mods and clutch mods. we are going to widen it. My question is instead of putting extended arms on it, can you move the arm mounts to the edge of the frame, I cant see why not but you guys are the pros.
My othe question is, the guy that sold us the bike says that the stock pipe on it is from an 87 and it works just as good s any aftermarket, is this true or will an aftermarket work better? He said the 87 pipe was designed different then the others and thats what makes them better.
Thanks for the help.

DVXchic
12-27-2005, 08:58 PM
pic

DVXchic
12-27-2005, 09:00 PM
a arm pic

maggiesboy
12-27-2005, 09:26 PM
I saw an arm kit on flea bay a while back, I haven't seen one since.

seven
12-28-2005, 08:09 AM
If you put the a arm mounts to the edge of the frame the shocks will be to short

mxdad
12-28-2005, 08:20 AM
There is a user on here named LT80 that you should pm with these questions. He is usually very helpful and knows a lot obout the LT80's

maggiesboy
12-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by DVXchic

My othe question is, the guy that sold us the bike says that the stock pipe on it is from an 87 and it works just as good s any aftermarket, is this true or will an aftermarket work better? He said the 87 pipe was designed different then the others and thats what makes them better.
Thanks for the help.

I did some looking into the pipe deal. The 87-90 had the same pipe, 91-94 same, 95-current same pipe.
What makes the early pipes sought after? Jack, can you enlighten us on this?

I know as far as aftermarket pipes, unless you have some porting done, you are just making a bunch of unneeded noise.

LT80
12-29-2005, 09:51 AM
The a-arms "can" be moved but it opens a can of worms (like earlier stated~shock length and so on) I recommend ATV Racing A-arms. They are in Phoenix AZ. Not to mention moving the locations makes them illegal if you ever may go to a ATVA/AMA santioned event (unless they are bolted on).
Durablow axel on the rear.
The stock pipe is a good one. The 87 they say is better. I'm sure it's less baffles in it. My motors seem to run as fast with a 87 or a 05. AS FAST as a aftermarket..NO.....The Trinity pipe is what I recommend for when ppl want that extra speed. You need to do more clutch work on a modded motor when going to a aftermarket pipe.
Hope that helps a lil. :)

DVXchic
12-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your help guys and Madsea, if you want to send me those pics that would be great.

LT80, my question for you is do yu know a guy named brad freeman, He said he sent the motor to a guy in the states, I cant remember his name but he said the guy was the father of the fastest woman on a quad. just wondering.

We are planning to put longer shocks on the Lt anyway so that is not an issue, we just wanted to know if it would hurt anything by moving the mounts to the edge. It has a bit of piston slap so the motor is coming apart as well. Does anyone know if the 108 big bore kits work well or is it going to blow up every race.

LT80
12-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I think I may know this Brad. :D
I had a canuck come down here. Him and his daughter. Really-really nice ppl!!
What I can tell you about the 105 kits::
1-with a stock stroke they are 96cc's.
2- with a 45 (+3)mm stroke, it's 104cc's.
3-the kit is stupid~~all you need is the piston and bore the original cylinder.The "kit" sleeve is only .0015 thicker.
4- the piston is 100 bucks!
5- waste of bores! Use all your bores.Bigger isn't allways better.;)
Look at the cylinder when you take it off. Should say "Moore".
Use a zuki piston till it goes to 51.5mm.
Lemme know if you need any explainations of anything that I did or any help. :)

grizzlykev
12-29-2005, 06:31 PM
lt80's right our motor done by him will smoke the big bore's plus very reliable.

cjpoole1
12-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by LT80
I recommend ATV Racing A-arms. They are in Phoenix AZ.
Do you know if they make LT50 a-arms? The 80 and 50 a-arms look very similar.

cjpoole1
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
atv racing parts (http://www.atvracing1.com/lt80parts.htm)
Nevermind doesn't look like they do.:(

DVXchic
12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey LT80, pretty small world, I believe you are the one who has done the motor in this thing. It has alot of piston slap so when we strip it for powdercoat the motor is coming apart. You have done the cluch work in it and he said the rest of the motor was done as well. I am guessing by you:confused: Thanks for the info on the BB kit. This little thing rips now and tyler loves it.

When we go to freshen the motor is there any recomendations you have, or will a piston rings and bore be fine. I am not a mini expert but the dam thing revs so high I keep thinkin its gonna grenade:eek:

Anyway thanks for all your help, and in case you are interested brads daughter Bronte is now riding in the womans class and does a great job, shes some good competiton:p ,.

LT80
12-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Bronte!!! The wife and I was trying to remember her name. Never would have got that one. :)
I recommend a stock zuki piston/rings. (up to 51mm)...
That and a bore to fit it and it'll be just fine. :)
Do clutch maintenence! :)

DVXchic
12-31-2005, 07:48 AM
heres another question, when we modify the frame we wll be looking at different shocks, you said in another thread that elka doesnt make shocks for the LT, I ws looking at trx90 elkas, would this be possible to fit, the stocks are 9" and the trx elkas are 91/4".

LT80
12-31-2005, 08:32 AM
I think that would depend on the ends of the shock.