PDA

View Full Version : Line Dryer for Air Compressor

Pappy
12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I am getting ready to finish destruction here and I am needing a Line Dryer for my main compressor. I found one that should do the job but I was looking for info on how well they actually work. My main compressor runs my large blast cabinet and when a drop of water comes thru the line ...well...it sucks:grr:

I use a small oil free compressor for the actual powder coating guns i use, and they are all equiped with mulitple filters to keep water out, but the large compressor as stated is a different story.

Any tips or info is much appreciated, i'd hate to buy one too small or one too large as they run from $300 to well over $1000

Thanks in advance

SGA
12-27-2005, 09:09 PM
I think a drier is a must have for painting and airtools with a tank type compressor. Water builds up in the tank.

Do you drain your main compressor tank often? Theres a small valve on the bottom for that. You should drain it at least once a month.

Pappy
12-27-2005, 09:11 PM
my 150 gallon tank runs on and off all day when im prepping parts. we leave the drain cracked open to allow water to drain out.

i do not use many if any other air tools, just for my blaster cabinet.

SGA
12-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Ive seen some at Sears that have a clear bowl on the bottom that trap water and small particles. Just drain it when it needs it. Ive used that type before and they work well for most small shops.
They are about 30 bucks I think.

SGA
12-27-2005, 09:43 PM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00916008000&subcat=Air+Tool+Accessories

Pappy
12-27-2005, 09:44 PM
ahh yeah thats a water filter and oiler, i ordered a full line drier that takes line temps to 34 degrees and dies the incoming air to a point there is virtually no water or water vapor.

Mxjunkie
12-27-2005, 11:46 PM
it almost seems as much as you do theres allways water in the line! I know we drained our system constantly at work and allways had a little water, try taking a air chuck now and then and put the hose flat on the ground and blow for about 15-20 seconds if it gets bad.

prepracing
12-28-2005, 12:37 AM
so I'm guessing that works exactly like airdryers on semi tractor/trailer aircompressors to keep the water/dampness out of the lines :confused: