PDA

View Full Version : how's huntin season been so far?

redlineranger
12-27-2005, 06:48 PM
for all you deer hunters, how has your season been so far...... i've been at it for a about a month now(rifle season) and have only killed one. huntin at my club dies the second week of december till the first or second week of january..... but anyways how many have you killed and lets see some pic's of those big bucks.

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
not bad at all early, then cold and ice hit us and the deer are holding in tight cover

got this one in my back yard on thanksgiving day

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:53 PM
my youngest boy ryan killed his first buck ever this season

redlineranger
12-27-2005, 07:00 PM
nice lookin bucks.... your son's had a big body on it(to bad it didnt have a nice rack on it, but hey i'd be proud of it to, im sure he was). i've seen bigger 6 points at my club than some 9 and 10 points they kill(body size and antler size). we do alot of dog hunting though so that has a small part of why not many bucks come to the food plots. but, i bought dad a tree climber for christmas and he bought me one the next day so ima start climbing around them ol creek beds where the big boys stay around.

oh i forgot to put that i've killed 1 doe this year... not much to brag about but at least it's somethin. she ran out with a young 4 point and i was gunnin for him, but they were 50 steps from me and i was shootin with 12 gauge buckshot.

dober250R
12-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Note to self, never walk through pappy's yard wearing a dear antler hat!!!!

QuadRacer18
12-27-2005, 08:30 PM
this year's hunting... I dont wanna talk about it:rolleyes:

prepracing
12-27-2005, 08:40 PM
I've played mr. nice guy one to many time this year, I still had plenty of meat from last year so I said to myself this year I'm gonna hold out and hunt for a BIG ONE. Like I'm thinking atleat a 120 class deer ( thats a big one in my area ). Have seen several small 1st year looking bucks, seen one pretty good 6 pointer in the last muzzleloader that was fighting with a smaller 7 point. I watch them quite a while, they were not violently fighting just kinda locking horns playing around. Anyway was about a 100 class deer, I finally decided to let it walk. And from about 5 minutes after that untill now ( and the rest of the season ) I have been kicking myself for not taking the shot at that buck :mad: Now late in the season they're getting harder to see, so unless I'm lucky I will have to wait till next season to take out some agression on a few deer :devil:

wantablaster
12-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I havent gone out yet but my grandfather got a 19 point whitetail buck at some ranch in texas a 17 pointer by pa rules but the owners of the ranch kept it and had it stuffed and are keeping it there and they gave him a 3000 dollar trip to go back next year. I will try to get some pictures from him and figure out how to post them on here.

redlineranger
12-27-2005, 10:41 PM
what are you guy's regulations when huntin like does it have to be a 6pt, 8pt or w/e and have to be out side the ears?

at my club, 6 point or better on a food plot, and durin a dog drive 3 point or better.... but, from a about a week and a half from now until january 31st they'll be ruttin so, some deer are about to be killed:devil:

by the way pappy thats a sweet lookin gun what is it?

bad01300ex
12-27-2005, 10:56 PM
i got my first dear ever this season:D

we forgot the camera tho:(

i was so excited, it was fun, first hunt of the season too. it was a little buck.

Pappy
12-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Remington LSS in 30-06

gpd005
12-28-2005, 07:37 AM
I got a decent 8 pointer with my bow and a doe with a muzzle loader.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/gpd005/DeerPics003.jpg

stumpleg
12-28-2005, 08:01 AM
A co-worker of mine shot a 30 point, 26 countable points in south central Iowa. It was in the same area that the world class buck was shot at last year. I think that one had 38 points. They called it the Albia Buck.

gpd005
12-28-2005, 08:04 AM
This is what mine looks like now two months later!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d131/gpd005/EatonDeerPics003.jpg

Pappy, tell your boy Ryan congrats on the first one! That cool! Some of the best memories i have are hunting with my dad.

redlineranger
12-28-2005, 09:41 AM
i knew it was a remington pappy i just couldnt figure what model it was, i shoot with a savage 110 series 270..... nice bucks in the other 2 pictures. yea takin your first deer is so exciting i couldnt sleep the night i killed mine i was just to hyper and excited.

SGA
12-28-2005, 11:51 AM
Dog Hunters:grr:

12-28-2005, 12:10 PM
i didn't get much time to hunt, so i got skunked. a co-workers trail camera got this where i hunt, so that may be why i see a few less deer there than i used to. there are also a LOT of cototes in the area now and with PA's new regulations on killing doe, there is getting to be a lot less deer...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/bobcat.JPG

jonc623
12-28-2005, 04:58 PM
got 2 does here opening day of shotgun and nothing else i raise deer so i can eat one whenever i want i have 2 bucks that have lost their antlers already one was on the 5th of dec and the 2nd one was today

Pappy
12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by jonc623
got 2 does here opening day of shotgun and nothing else i raise deer so i can eat one whenever i want i have 2 bucks that have lost their antlers already one was on the 5th of dec and the 2nd one was today

we have bucks dropping already also. kind of early for this region. a feller at work shot a doe monday and it was a buck that had lost his rack already:ermm:

redlineranger
12-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Dog Hunters:grr:

have you never dog hunted?? i dont see why its so illegal in other states.

trust me it'll be the best time you have huntin, especially during the rut. i know a few people that hated dog huntin, but then they tried it out, and they havent looked back since, thats all they do is dog hunt now.

oh also about the coyotes, there bad around here to but you only see them at night time. we shoot them all year though just cause they scare the dam deer away, and second because i hate cats(i think thats what they are is a big cat:rolleyes: )

SGA
12-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
have you never dog hunted?? i dont see why its so illegal in other states.

Ive only dog hunted once. Yes it is exciting hearing the dogs coming and being ready for a deer to run out at any moment.

What makes me mad is dog hunters running thier dogs through areas that have still hunting. The deer are spooked for weeks.

It seems around here dog hunters have no respect for still hunters

12-29-2005, 12:06 AM
if ur talkin prairie dogs those are awesome to shoot down. if we are talkin coyotes a buddy of mine got 20 in one nite. idk how he did it but he did

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by SGA
Ive only dog hunted once. Yes it is exciting hearing the dogs coming and being ready for a deer to run out at any moment.

What makes me mad is dog hunters running thier dogs through areas that have still hunting. The deer are spooked for weeks.

It seems around here dog hunters have no respect for still hunters

yea i understand if i did nothin but sittin in shootin houses and climb trees i wouldnt want to my deer spooked by dogs..... the deer at my club are the dumbest a** animals on earth. you can turn the dogs loose on a buck track in a food patch, make racket around that plot all day, and at 4:30-5 that afternoon that same dumbass deer will be standin in the plot. there just used to it though, that club has been in exsistance for 20 something years.
i missed a dang 4 point on a dog drive earlier, we aint killed nothin in two weeks and they said fire on anything better than 3 point. oh well, cant kill em if you dont shoot at em

ST87
12-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Dog hunting isnt that bad if you have a lot land but when they start running on other peoples property that still hunt its when problems starts. I dont have a problem with them but then again its ilegal where im at in Alabama.....last years rule was if its brown its down this year im holdin out for the right one:D

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ST87
Dog hunting isnt that bad if you have a lot land but when they start running on other peoples property that still hunt its when problems starts. I dont have a problem with them but then again its ilegal where im at in Alabama.....last years rule was if its brown its down this year im holdin out for the right one:D

what county you in? im down here in escambia and yes its great if u have a lot of land...my club is 4,300 acres

Titanium
12-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Dog hunting is not even really hunting. i mean seriously how is runnin deer out of the trees hunting. because ur not even really tracking the deer ur sittin there in a spot u kno the deer are comin so there is no way u can have as much of a rush when ur dog huntin because if ur huntin in a deer blind that u don't kno for sure if a big deer is comin or not and then after u hunt that spot for a couple of days and that deer comes ur proud that u waited and or tracked that deer down. i mean dog huntin is practically road huntin (poaching). there so many ways you could point out that it isn't ethical its not even funny.

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
Dog hunting is not even really hunting. i mean seriously how is runnin deer out of the trees hunting. because ur not even really tracking the deer ur sittin there in a spot u kno the deer are comin so there is no way u can have as much of a rush when ur dog huntin because if ur huntin in a deer blind that u don't kno for sure if a big deer is comin or not and then after u hunt that spot for a couple of days and that deer comes ur proud that u waited and or tracked that deer down. i mean dog huntin is practically road huntin (poaching). there so many ways you could point out that it isn't ethical its not even funny.

ok thats ur opinion but its more than just sitting there waitin for them to come out..... when the dogs cross the road you f*ckin drive like bo duke to cut them off on the next road they'll cross cus they'll be runnin the deer. thats another thing, u really do have to hunt them cause its hard to hit a moving target. so you haul *** to the next place and try it again.

Titanium
12-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
ok thats ur opinion but its more than just sitting there waitin for them to come out..... when the dogs cross the road you f*ckin drive like bo duke to cut them off on the next road they'll cross cus they'll be runnin the deer. thats another thing, u really do have to hunt them cause its hard to hit a moving target. so you haul *** to the next place and try it again.

i'm not tryin to start a war here i'm just sayin that its unethical. because ppl that do it aroun here don't care about other ppl and screw up all ppl aroun them that are huntin. i hate it. mostly because these ppl are sittin on the road and havin a couple of there friends go onto other ppl's property that they have no business on and settin there dogs loose and drivin their deer out causeing the owners to sometimes have severe property damage like the ones who let there dogs out on ppl's property that they farm because they have about 20 ppl followin the dogs so it tramples up the ground.

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 08:17 PM
i'm not tryin to start a war here i'm just sayin that its unethical. because ppl that do it aroun here don't care about other ppl and screw up all ppl aroun them that are huntin. i hate it. mostly because these ppl are sittin on the road and havin a couple of there friends go onto other ppl's property that they have no business on and settin there dogs loose and drivin their deer out causeing the owners to sometimes have severe property damage like the ones who let there dogs out on ppl's property that they farm because they have about 20 ppl followin the dogs so it tramples up the ground.

i know i wasnt tryin to say any of that in a way with attitude or anything.... our club is very organized and very seldom does a dog travel onto other folks land. if u have a good organized club, dog huntin is great

Titanium
12-29-2005, 08:18 PM
even at that if u have to drive like bo duke thats road huntin which is illegal. im assuming that ur on a road.

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 08:22 PM
even at that if u have to drive like bo duke thats road huntin which is illegal. im assuming that ur on a road.

dirt roads not highways... dirt roads on the huntin club land not public or county dirt roads. u dont have to drive dukes of hazzard style but if u wanna shoot some deer and cut the dogs off from goin into other land then you better.

when you mean road hunting do u mean just hittin deer with truck? it takes an idiot to do that, if u were caught doin that around here or at my club, u'd get a foot in the a** and not let back in

ST87
12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
i hunt in cleburne live in calhoun though

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 08:44 PM
i hunt in cleburne live in calhoun though

thats cool, thats really not that far of a ride from here, this guy from my club goes up there and hunts with his brother..... there's some dam good deer up in there. have u ever hunted in or around beatrice?

ST87
12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
naw i havent where exactly is that ive heard it mentioned a few times.

redlineranger
12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
naw i havent where exactly is that ive heard it mentioned a few times.

to be honest i dont know exact location. my dad used to hunt up there alot with his old boss and he always talks about it, but of all the questions i've asked about the place i never asked where exactly it is.... i want to say its about a 2 hour drive from where im at (atmore alabama) ive seen the deer outta them woods there in beatrice. were talkin they look like deer off of the tv shows:eek2: