PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Steering Stem?

Stunz
09-27-2001, 06:34 AM
I rode straight into a boulder the size of a truck engine a few days ago. I was doing a power-slide/donut in the sand when the rear tires hooked up and sent me in the wrong direction. It hit dead center on the PRM bumper. The bumper is OK, but it sheared of on of the top bolts that holds it on to the frame. The bumper pushed against the upper control are mount, but it dosn't look like anything moved or got damaged. No big deal.

Only the bumper hit and not the tires.

Now I notice that when I'm riding stright ahead, that my handlebars are not pointing straight. Its barely noticable when you look at it and it's not noticable when your riding. The quad still rides normal, it doesn't pull and its tracking straight.

I think I might have twisted the stearing stem a little bit from me holding on tight as I hit. I don't know what else it could be, except for the frame getting tweeked.

I'm going to check the stearing alignment tonight.

MOFO
09-27-2001, 07:14 AM
Well before you tear into things, take a look at your tie rods. They could be bent...this will throw your steering out of wack. The honda service manual gives the exact spec of what the toe in...etc should be. I dont know the specs from memory. If you need them, let me know.

One nice thing about the tie rods is the fact they are only like $5 a pop...alot cheaper than a steering column....

Eric

Stunz
09-27-2001, 09:19 AM
Good point.

They look straight by eye, but I'll put a straight edge against it to see if they are bent.

Stunz
09-28-2001, 06:19 AM
The tie-rods are straight.
I checked for cracks and or bends in the frame tubes and welds. Everything looks normal. The alignment is at one inch toe in, which is OK.

The only thing I can think of is the stem twisting.
I'm just going to adjust the tie-rods to make up for "what-ever" is wrong.

MOFO
09-28-2001, 06:33 AM
Yep, thats what I would do as long as its not that bad.

Eric

Wheelie
09-28-2001, 10:28 AM
I think your right about the steering stem twisting, check the bottom of the stem and checked for cracked paint. The stock stems seem to be weak. Good Luck.