PDA

View Full Version : Marines

circusfreak6
12-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Hello all. I was wondering what you guys think of the marines. Has anybody been in them, or currently in them? I am looking to join the marines and im wondering what people think about them.

i was talkin to a friend thats in the army, hes in korea right now, hes getting 2 grand a month to sit behind a computer all day. he serves 3 years in korea, and then 2 more wherever they send him. if he spends little money, hes gonna come home with over 100k.

what do you guys think of the marines. if your in please contact me

ZeroLogic
12-27-2005, 03:14 PM
your chances of comming back to america from the marines are slim IMO

its a rough hard job they get put threw the wost **** you can think of

if i were you i would go to the army

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Go for it. People can tell you all kind of stories but I will tell you that it is not for everyone.

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

its a rough hard job they get put threw the wost **** you can think of

Have you been in either? If you have never been in the service than how would you know:ermm:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

first, no marine signs up without knowing he could pay the ultimate sacrifice for his country. Thats a fact of life for someone who wants to be a SOLDIER.

secondly, the chances of dying in the marine corps, or any branch of the service for that matter, is less likely to occur then if you were stateside living in any of americas largest cities.

for me, buying the farm on forign soil at the hand of my countries enemy is far more attractive then getting capped in some alley by a crackhead who wants my $48.75 in my wallet.

Jerry is correct, the Marine Corps is not for everyone. If you even have a doubt , find another branch. However, if you want to be one of a brother hood that has earned the respect of every person who has ever served and those that sleep at night under the peace they provide, then go for it.

Semper Fi

Titanium
12-27-2005, 05:35 PM
I have 3 of my best friends goin into the USMC. I personally think there crazy. But i really hope they all come home in one piece.

stc416rider
12-27-2005, 05:49 PM
all this military stuff is so SEXY:eek2:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by stc416rider
all this military stuff is so SEXY:eek2:

must be a navy man:devil:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
must be a navy man:devil: :grr:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:01 PM
lol..jerry are you an dont ask and dont tell kinda guy:devil: LMFAO!:blah:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:04 PM
lol..jerry are you an dont ask and dont tell kinda guy:devil: LMFAO!:blah:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:04 PM
:ermm:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:07 PM
lol..ill take the heat for the "next poster"

its the least i can do to egg on jerry:devil:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:09 PM
lol..ill take the heat for the "next poster"

its the least i can do to egg on jerry:devil:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:11 PM
is that a picture of your bunkmate:devil:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:12 PM
is that a picture of your bunkmate:devil:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
lol..last time i seen a rag with an ak he soon after was missing a large portion of his head:devil:

marines prefer this:devil:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:17 PM
lol..last time i seen a rag with an ak he soon after was missing a large portion of his head:devil:

marines prefer this:devil:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:18 PM
rotflmao..jerry is the king of the funny pics:D

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:19 PM
rotflmao..jerry is the king of the funny pics:D

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:21 PM
is that you? lmao:devil:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:21 PM
is that you? lmao:devil:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
i have to ask, why do you have so many 3/4 naked young men on your computer:confused: :blah:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
i ahev to ask, why do you have so many 3/4 naked young men on your computer:confused: :blah:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:23 PM
i have to ask, why do you have so many 3/4 naked young men on your computer:confused: :blah:

my bad, i forgot the navy thing:devil:

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 06:25 PM
my bad, i forgot the navy thing:devil:

Pappy
12-27-2005, 06:27 PM
dont make me break out the mullet pics:devil:

wildbillz400
12-27-2005, 06:54 PM
On a serious note, I was in the Marines for four years and loved every minute of it. It is not for everyone and I was even told by several people I knew that they didn't think I could make it. But you never know what someone is made of until they're pushed to the edge. And let me tell you, you WILL be pushed to the edge. The pride and satisfaction that I got knowing I was part of an elite family was well worth it. If I had not gotten married when I did I would have stayed in. The Marines are not like any other branch of services one your're a Marine you will always be a Marine. And nothing will ever change that. If you want to join the Marine man I say go for it. The worst thing that could happen is you don't make it through boot camp and you can join another branch. And if you're worried about getting hurt or killed than the military is not for you anyways. People join the military mistaking it as just another job. WRONG. You join the military to SERVE YOUR COUNTRY!!. Semper Fi. (always faithful)

AtvMxRider
12-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by wildbillz400
On a serious note, I was in the Marines for four years and loved every minute of it. It is not for everyone and I was even told by several people I knew that they didn't think I could make it. But you never know what someone is made of until they're pushed to the edge. And let me tell you, you WILL be pushed to the edge. The pride and satisfaction that I got knowing I was part of an elite family was well worth it. If I had not gotten married when I did I would have stayed in. The Marines are not like any other branch of services one your're a Marine you will always be a Marine. And nothing will ever change that. If you want to join the Marine man I say go for it. The worst thing that could happen is you don't make it through boot camp and you can join another branch. And if you're worried about getting hurt or killed than the military is not for you anyways. People join the military mistaking it as just another job. WRONG. You join the military to SERVE YOUR COUNTRY!!. Semper Fi. (always faithful)

Very well said

QuadRacer18
12-27-2005, 08:26 PM
im 17 years old and im in the same position. I want to join the marines. Nothing else seems like it would be for me but this. I come from a family that has served in every branch of the military. My uncles a marine, fighting in Iraq as we speak. I dunno, its just something i feel i have to do... Ill be going to the recruiter in march.

wildbillz400
12-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer18
im 17 years old and im in the same position. I want to join the marines. Nothing else seems like it would be for me but this. I come from a family that has served in every branch of the military. My uncles a marine, fighting in Iraq as we speak. I dunno, its just something i feel i have to do... Ill be going to the recruiter in march.

Good luck man. You can do it as long as you set your mind to it. It's mind over matter and if you don't mind it don't matter. :)

250R-Dee
12-28-2005, 05:44 AM
The Corps definitely is not for everybody but I know people who have washed out of Air Force and Navy summer camps (boot camp). :D :D

My advice: No matter which service you pick you should always try to pick a job field that will allow you to get a decent job once you decide to hangup the camouflaged treesuit.

Semper Fidelis

infantry317
12-28-2005, 06:27 AM
If you are really thinking of your future after service, I would seriously look at the Army combat arms fields (infantry, armor, artillery) the jobs are ok while you're in, but when you get out you'll have a lot of $$$ for college. I got out in '93 after 3 years in the infantry and got $28,000 for college to use over four years. The check comes to you, but you have to hold up your end of the deal. The benefits are even better now.

The Marines definetly have the toughest boot camp, but not necessarily the toughest individual units, that depends on the leaders and function of the unit. If you are in a rapid deployment unit (in any service branch), things are way stepped up. I thought I was gonna die when I got to the 7th infantry division, run, run, and run!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

tater_kamik
12-28-2005, 09:31 AM
join the chair force

dober250R
12-28-2005, 04:51 PM
If they could guaruntee me I could fly a fighter jet, I would sign up right now and be on a bus in 10 min!!! But they can't guaruntee that you'll fly, even a helicopter. :ermm:

MXcutie
12-28-2005, 05:20 PM
my husband is in the army... actually he's over in Iraq as we speak with 1-77FA... they are acutally doin transportation over there..... as a wives point of view and has an active member in the FRG.... Military isnt for you if you want ot have a family while your in... everyone says it not only me... if you dont plan to start a family anytime when your in then i could be worth it but i'm goin to tell ya the money sucks!! you live payday to payday and it will seem like you will never get out of dept but if you want job security then i would do it... if you want to honestly know what its like i would talk to ppl who are in right now and who arent recuriters b/c all they are goin to do it lie to ya... i've heard way to many stories about them to trust them... good luck tho i nall you do and if you get stationed out by Fort Sill pm me i'm here for another 3 years

AtvMxRider
12-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MXcutie
my husband

When did this happen?????:confused:

Pappy
12-28-2005, 05:24 PM
YOUR MARRIED:eek: well congrats, i didnt get the word:D

AtvMxRider
12-28-2005, 05:25 PM
How about some honeymoon pics:devil:

kustomfab2003
12-28-2005, 06:07 PM
I served in the Marines for 8 1/2 years. I know 8 1/2 seems like a odd number and it is but that is because I was involved in the bombing of the American Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya 10:36am Aug 7, 1998 and suffered a broken L4 in my back that made continued service very difficult.

The Marines or any service is a great stepping stone into life as a adult. A career as a service member isn't for everyone, but the discipline it will instill in you will last a lifetime.

Semper Fi,

Josh

MXcutie
12-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
How about some honeymoon pics:devil:

what honeymoon?! the military stopped that one pretty fast when they wouldnt let him take leave to go on one

Pappy
12-28-2005, 06:35 PM
what honeymoon?! the military stopped that one pretty fast when they wouldnt let him take leave to go on one

you married a Marine, i am sure he overcame and improvised:D

and i wanna see a pic of the new rugrat!

AtvMxRider
12-28-2005, 06:42 PM

OK screw the honeymoon how about pics of just you :devil:

250R-Dee
12-28-2005, 06:54 PM
If you have very little techinical skills and would like a good paying job later on STAY AWAY FROM the grunt fields of the Army or USMC .... cannon cocker (artillery), grunt (infantrymen), armor, tanks, blah blah blah.

I have a friend who got licensed to drive almost every vehicle possible while he was in the Corps. He had no problems getting a commercial drivers license when he got out of the Corps and after less than 2 years he is the supervisor for a trucking company. from $15k/yr in the USMC to $50K/yr in less than 2 years.

Another friend was a SATCOM operator in the Army making $20K/yr (he also got bonuses every 4 years) but now he makes $7k a month as a civilian.

Another friend who was in the Air Force worked on corrosion control of aircraft while in the service. He now makes $8k a month doing the same job as a civlian.

When I was in the Corps I got $30K when I re-enlisted plus I got to choose my duty station. I will not mention the exact amount of my salary but I will say it would take 5 years at E-5 (Sergeant) in the Corps to equal what I make in a single year. I was a computer tech and server operator. Don't let that job fool you because I still went to the field like everybody else, I had to do 20~30 mile forced humps like everybody else and I did all of the other crappy stuff that is normal for people in the USMC or Army.

Don't let people from the USMC or Army sway you with the "we are the hardest" happy talk. I grewup around the 101st AirBorne, 82nd AirBorne, Green Berets, Delta Force, Air Force Search & Rescue (AF Grunts) and I have more than my share of friends in the USMC infantry, Force Recon, and I have a couple friends who are NAVY SEALS. All of those jobs are equally difficult but when those guys finish their military service they are limited to security jobs, policemen, or jobs as mercs. Most of those guys love their jobs but they know the will have to change to a different job field before leaving the military so they can obtain some realworld job skills

Every military service offers a GI Bill. The Army offers more money because they are having a difficult time retaining people and meeting their recruiting goals. The NAVY actually has the highest paying job fields. You can get $50K enlistment/re-enlistment bonuses for joining one the of the nuke related fields BUT the school is very long and you will probaby end up spending 6 months at a time underwater in a sardine can that is filled with men:blah: . You should also look at the reserves if you would like attend college.

Some serious advice: If you join the military do NOT get married during your first 4 years. The divorce rate for first term military people is EXTREMELY high. Stay single so you can learn more about the military and experience as much as possible.

Scott-300ex
12-28-2005, 07:41 PM
So ya wanna be a Devil Dog eh?

I have been thinking about joining for a while now too.

My friend he is older than me is a Marine he said it wasn't to bad, boot camp, well actually I ask him if it was hard and hes like, "I'm still here." so, take that wut you want. Recruiters LIE LIKE HELL, sayin he'd never have to go over, well, hes waiting for a phone call to go.

He said he'll get full college payed for and then pay for bein in the USMC, and if you go over to Iraq, I'm not even ganna say wut extras you get, but its good.

I know 3 people in the army, all friends of me, 20-25 years old, one went to kosovo, hes out not, one just got back from Iraq, and he made movies and I seen them all, and if your a trigger man, you'll see some nasty $hit, people getting shot doesn't define it, its wut happens to them after they get 7 rounds in there head and body. There are tons of land mines over there, road side bombs, IED's. Be ready for them to blow up 2 feet from you when your driving.

Anyways, my one friend is so sad when he leaves cuz he has to leave all of us, his friends, he comes over with cameras to take pictures for memories when he goes back away. I'm sure you'll miss home like hell.

Also you can get in jobs that you enjoy like mechanic, engineer, stuff like that and ask to be stationed in Hawaii or somewhere you want to work, and you will have to go threw Basic, but you'll get a job you like in a place you like.

Lots of options.