PDA

View Full Version : sprockets...

400exrider36
12-26-2005, 10:02 PM
ok just a quick little question about gearing. i bought new 18" tires for my yfz and i have no speed, i never really did with my stock 20s. im going to go up one tooth in the front, but i figured that would bring me right back to how it was with the 20s, so if i were to get one tooth smaller in the back too, would that about right?. im asking this cause i dont want this too be too much top speed cause i do want some power for tight track and trail riding...

Splatter Matter
12-27-2005, 06:51 AM
click on the link. then in the menu on the left click gearing.
http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/toc.htm

ACEwrench
12-27-2005, 08:24 AM
what kinda riding are you doing???? how much speed do you want???

i imagine that you had the stock gearing on the quad to start with. one tooth on the front sprocket is worth two teeth on the rear so say stock is 13/40. if you put a 14t sprocket your gearing will be 14/40 which is equal to 13/38 (not exact but very close). since you in effect went down 2 rear sproket sizes you will have higher speed than stock.... the 20 in tires will help as well...

hope this or the other thread helps...

400exrider36
12-27-2005, 08:48 AM
yep thanks, im pretty much looking for the speed that i would have if i were to move up one tooth in the front with my stock tires, but now that i have 18s, i figured one tooth lower in the rear would take care of that...