PDA

View Full Version : sell 04 for 06

jeepeater347
12-26-2005, 09:44 PM
I am really debating getting 06 mainly for the E start and all the better changes that have been made. i should up grade?Anyone tell me why or why not? Has anyone done any head to head comparing of a 05 with a 06 with equal mods?

eagertorace
12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by jeepeater347
I am really debating getting 06 mainly for the E start and all the better changes that have been made. i should up grade?Anyone tell me why or why not? Has anyone done any head to head comparing of a 05 with a 06 with equal mods?

it depends on how bad you want that magic button

trx450Rrider
12-27-2005, 09:27 PM
the magic buttons gay. the kick start one starts better and faster. i have an 04 and 06

12-27-2005, 09:31 PM
i will be selling my 04 for an 06. reason being , i race and everything i want to do to my 04 is already done to the 06:D

trx400exxracer
12-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by trx450Rrider
the magic buttons gay. the kick start one starts better and faster. i have an 04 and 06

the magic button may not be as fast because you cannot use the gas while starting but you can combine 2 wires where you can but I bet you like the 12:1 compression ratio piston

trx450Rrider
12-28-2005, 06:14 AM
yes i love the bike i cant wait to start modding it out. i thaught that you were only selling it because of electric start which i would prefer kick over electric but the extra power is nice.

4ABURN
12-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I don,t think you can compare the starting habits of the 04,05 to the 06 the 06 kicker is not even out yet. New motor,differant carb,if peaple are having trouble starting the 06 with electric start I can,t wait to see the threads start rolling in when peaple can,t start the 06 kicker. (YOU MUST NOT TOUCH THAT GAS WHEN STARTING.) I have seen CRF quys complain about ther bikes starting. Soon as they learn the starting procedure the bike starts 1,2 kick every time. Alot of peaple I think do not under stand the excelerator pump. I could be wrong its just my two cents :D :ermm:

Dave400ex
12-28-2005, 06:17 PM
I asked Baldwin about the slow starting, and he said he was working on the issue.

speedfreaksguy
12-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Slow starting is always a problem with Hondas. Usually a little tinkering with the carb and the hard starting is a thing of the past. I haven't had any trouble with my 04 starting since I put the pipe on and jetted it.

Prey
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
the magic button may not be as fast because you cannot use the gas while starting but you can combine 2 wires where you can but I bet you like the 12:1 compression ratio piston

i have preformed this mod (wrote a tech article and took pics which i need to give to harlen) and IMO this did nothing....... sure the bike will spark when the starter is turning over but you find yourself with another problem.

once you add throttle while turning the bike over it locks up the starter motor, you have to let off the starter button and try again.

i thought i would try and overcome this by replacing the 6ah (ah = amp hour) to an 8ah.......... it did help the bike turn over better but did not stop the starter motor from locking up.

i was going to bump up to a 10ah motorcycle battery but after discussing it, heard that the gears maybe a little too weak to introduce that much more power.

anyone got any thoughts on this?

andy roth
12-31-2005, 05:16 PM
Well I couldnt be happier with trading my 04 to an 06. The 06 is much stronger than the 04. I trailride and Woods race and I tell you that the 06 really is a big difference in the woods! I had to modify a few things though. I bought a set of 05 front shocks and sold my 06 front shocks( I hated them because they was valved to stiff and beat me to death in the woods). And I had to modify the carb spring so it was not so hard to push the thumb throttle. ( I removed the carb spring and cut about a half a coil off to soften up the pull. I do not recommend anyone to try this unless you are mechanically inclined to work on carbs.). It worked great. The bucking is about a third of what it was on the 04. It tracks great, corners even better after the front was widened and the camber change on the 06. I have not had any problems so far on my 06. But My 04 locked up within 15 minutes while breaking in the motor.I love the electric start but I have learned that you cant give it any fuel until it hits. I never have problems starting mine when cold, I always pump the throttle 2 or 3 times before I crank it over when it is cold and it fires up. It doesnt like to idle when its real cold but never fails to start. I even pulled the baffle out and lid off ,rejetted the carb to see how well it ran after opening it up but didnt run it long that way. It made a little difference but not that much so I put it back stock because the air filter hardly gets dirty when the lid is on. It was filty when I had the lid off and was following other quads while it was dusty. Well I am glad that I traded because I missed the electric start when I am racing.