PDA

View Full Version : Axle Bearing Dilema

Mxbubs
07-01-2002, 01:26 PM
I have an LSR carrier (which I will never do business with again), I have a set of dual row bearings, but I dont know if they are as wide or wider than the LSR bearings. If they are not wide enough, I am going to need to make some spacers. Does anyone have any idea how wide the LSR twin row bearings are? Does anyone know how much lip is showing when the bearings are pressed all the way in? I called LSR, they said "I dont know what to tell you, we dont give out that info."

Ex'r Marlin
07-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Are you trying to replace your LSR twin row bearings with another brand twin row bearing?

If so, LSR should be able to tell you how to remove the bearings out of the carrier. From there, you should be able to measure the difference, if any, between the two.

I am wondering to myself why you would want to replace the LSR twin row bearing?

Note: I am very surprised Lone Star Racing could not supply you with the dimensions you requested. Unless they have someone else manufacture them or assemble them, how hard would it be to take a quick measurement of their bearing??:confused:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Teufel
07-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Take the carrier apart and compare/measure them. The bearings are not unique and will cross reference. I buy mine at NAPA.
LSR buys from the major manufacturer just like the auto suppliers ect

Mxbubs
07-01-2002, 04:03 PM
I removed the twin row bearings months ago and trashed them. I had not planned on using the carrier, I was going to sell it. I bought a set of twin row bearings from Herrmann Racing. Lonestar didnt say that they didnt know the width on their highly overpriced twin row bearings, they more less said "sorry jack, we are not going to help you".

Ex'r Marlin
07-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Most likely, like Teufel stated, the twin row bearing are probably very close, if not exactly to the same dimensions as the ones Lone Star used. I would go ahead a try it out, with my bet that they would work just fine, without the need of any spacers, etc.

Good luck!

QuadRacer041
07-01-2002, 05:24 PM
well no offense but thats how big business's like that stay in business, you cant expect them to tell you stuff like that, thats how they make money the can out that info.i own a landscaping business, how would i stay in business if everyone asked me how to make their lawn look great and i told them, id go out of business because there'd be no reason to hire me.you need to do your own research to figure that out, take measurements ask other people. you should never throw out old parts till you have your new ones and can compare and make sure they are right.i agree that parts like bearings for lonestar's own carrier are over priced, and if you ever needed to buy ball joints for there a arms you would see they are too, so i had to go and research a way to get them cheaper and found out by trial and error that you can get outer tie rods ends off a certian car that are the right part.so now instead of paying $30.00 from lonestar i can get hem for $15.00.

RoostinOna400ex
07-01-2002, 06:14 PM
What is good about a new bearing carrier like a herrmann twin row?? The reason I am asking is because my bearings are froze in my carrier and I am not for sure if it would be better to replace the carrier and all or just replace the bearing and get ready for the next freeze!?!?! What are all the advantages?? Thanks :confused:

Razorback
07-01-2002, 07:35 PM
two main advantages as i see them for aftermarket carriers, like the herrmann, rad, etc.:

1) the bearings will last longer and take more abuse
2) they generally have external zerk grease fittings, so you don't have to take the axle out to grease the carrier