PDA

View Full Version : 426 or 440kit???

ranger400ex1994
12-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Right now i have a 400ex with a high compression piston and a old stage 2 hot cam. i would like to make a quad either a 426 or 440. I do not want to but a new 450 becasue i really don't like either of them i just want more power. Will a 426 really rev that much faster then a 440? Which is faster on top and all the way around? I was going to resleve if went with a 426 or 440 so heat should not be a issue. I MX race ice race and trail ride so i will need to make this motor realible. And i would really like to stick with 11:1 compression. Also which one would do better against 450s in a drag race and on the MX track.

prepracing
12-26-2005, 07:45 PM
6 of one or half dozen of the other :confused: what I mean is there are so many threads about this topic. Both are good kits I prefer the 426 over the 440 but thats my preference. the 426 will rev quicker but the 440 may have a little more topened power. You can build either one well and your gonna be competitive with most 450's ( unless they're running like 480 or 500 kits ). You said your gonna sleeve it either way so price is gonna be similar to. Depending on what compression you run definitly get the oversize studs so they don't pull out and blow a head gasket. But either one will do well...if it were me I would go with whichever one I could get the best parts for my money.

QuadJunkies
12-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by prepracing
6 of one or half dozen of the other :confused: what I mean is there are so many threads about this topic. Both are good kits I prefer the 426 over the 440 but thats my preference. the 426 will rev quicker but the 440 may have a little more topened power. You can build either one well and your gonna be competitive with most 450's ( unless they're running like 480 or 500 kits ). You said your gonna sleeve it either way so price is gonna be similar to. Depending on what compression you run definitly get the oversize studs so they don't pull out and blow a head gasket. But either one will do well...if it were me I would go with whichever one I could get the best parts for my money.

I coudnt have said it better myself.. I have both as well, its all on preference. Please do a Search there is sooooooooooooooooo many topics on this you will be busy for weeks reading lol :p

atvracer980
12-27-2005, 09:18 AM
I would purchase a 440 sleeve and piston, 90% of the 440 sleeves have to be machined to the 440 piston-hence: spring for the 426 piston, have the cylinder bored to the 426, keep the 440 piston as back-up for another bore- 2 birds w/ one stone- keep the compression ratios under 12:1- saves wear and tear on the rod bearings- unless you have endless money and can fork out about 400-600.00 for rod and labor. By doing the 426 w/ a big bore sleeve gives you more cylinder for heat displacement and your not running thin on the skirt area- just a thought.