PDA

View Full Version : ticking after cam install

2muchquad
12-26-2005, 02:44 PM
i just installed a wb "all around" cam in my 300ex and for the life of me i cant stop the ticking.i have tried adjusting the valves about fiddy times to no avail.my rockers are like new and i also installed one of those new DID "silent" cam chains.it didnt tick before with the stock cam.the noise doesnt seem to get louder when i rev it,its only noticeable at idle.it runs good and makes good power its just that ticking i dont like.anybody ever have this? im to the point now im just going to run it.if i blow the damn thing up ill just drop in my 350x motor:(

Scro
12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Extra noise from a cam is normal. If you have adjusted your valves properly, it's nothing to worry about.

2muchquad
12-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Extra noise from a cam is normal. If you have adjusted your valves properly, it's nothing to worry about

hell,i checked and double checked a million times,im tired of taking the tank and stuff off.like i said it doesnt get louder with rpms(fortunately),its just at idle i cant stand it.i tried setting the vlaves stock(.004),even tightening them up a lil'bit but to no avail,so they are at stock specs and im gonna have to run it.:(

Scro
12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
If you are sure the valves are correct, you should be good to go.;)

ZeroLogic
12-26-2005, 04:56 PM
its normal nothing to worry about

dork
12-26-2005, 09:28 PM
its probably normal with that cam like others said. performance cams have faster opening/closing ramps on the lobes and generally will make more noise, especially at idle. try turning up your idle a bit.

fitethesystom
01-04-2006, 12:33 AM
Double check camchain , other than that ticking is normal and should not worry you unless it comes loud.

2muchquad
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
also installed one of those new DID "silent" cam chains.it didnt

new chain,tensioner is working properly,im just living with it:D

wboy62417
01-04-2006, 11:36 PM
i had a ticking noise like this and i ended up with a broken cam check and make sure your cam gear is TIGHT and put some thread lock on it to keep it that way Mine cam loose and broke the cam