PDA

View Full Version : A question for people who know.

super_man37366
07-01-2002, 09:02 AM
OK i been reading on here of people saying that a moded 250ex can beat a stock Blaster. OK if thats so then dont a stock Blaster do like 59 or something so how can a 250ex get that fast? Whats the fastest you think A MODED 250EX can get ( with the big bore )??? Thankz I am just curious... later :D

Scott
07-01-2002, 09:13 AM
OK, you're talking apples and oranges. Speed and mods commonly confused. OK, you say a blaster does 59mph, so let's go with that. Stock, 59mph top speed. First guy takes this and bores it, exhaust, carb, every possible mod to the engine and now has, let's just say 40hp. Top speed is still 59mph. He can now accelerate up to that speed much faster, but the quad still only goes 59mph.

OK, second guy has the same stock quad, does 59mph. He goes up 2inches on the rear tires, down 3 teeth on the rear sprocket and up one tooth on the front sprocket. Engine and everything else is stock. So he has, let's just say 20 hp. Top speed is now 70mph, but it takes 5 minutes to get up to that top speed.

See the difference? Gearing determines speed. Hp and torque determine the accelleration. Accelleration gets you moving and gets you to your max speed. I kinda over-simplified, but you get the idea.

super_man37366
07-01-2002, 09:31 AM
That makes perfect sense. How would you gain top speed I mean a few miles an hour on a 250ex since they are shaft driven? I mean if you run stock 22`s.. I mean would a pipe help the gears go long or just low-mid range power? Thankz again....

Scott
07-01-2002, 04:26 PM
The only way to get a higher top speed without changinf the gearing is to take the engine to a higher RPM, and the stock rev limiter won't let you change that. What the mods would do for you is let you get to that top speed quicker than your buddy on a stock one. Mods will make you quicker, and might make the top speed much less important, unless you do all your riding at the top end of 5th gear...