PDA

View Full Version : elka shocks

mac75
12-25-2005, 05:25 PM
I need some help guys! Just bolted new elka's on my son's kasea 50 last night and the camber seems to be way off. I should say that I also put +1 wheel spacers and Holeshot mx on the front. The front is extremly stiff and even with me I have no sag on the front end. The fornt end looks like it should when jumping and fully extended. Any suggestions please

wvspeedfreak
12-25-2005, 07:29 PM
You can't tell much about front shocks on the single a-arm minis by just pushing down on them sitting still.This is due to the fact that the a-arms move in an arc through their travel rather than up and down like dual a-arm quads.I would actually have your kid ride the quad and watch how the suspension acts while the quad is in motion.That is the best way to tell.

edit: Also it is not uncommon for the front end to stay where you put it(height wise) due to the way the a-arms travel.I bet if you push down really hard on the front is will sit lower.

Billy Holt
12-25-2005, 10:20 PM
If you sit on the front bumber and most of the shock travel isn't taken up then you are probably to stiff, check the spring pre load and try backing it off. Also read the manual some.

mac75
12-26-2005, 09:42 AM
THe Elka manual doesn't give me anything to go on. but if I stand on the front bumper and bounce I can bottomm the front end. The funny thing is I can pull up on the shock and easily get full travel. I'm just knew to this and I'm worried about all the bump-steer I got since putting the elkas on.

Pappy
12-26-2005, 10:41 AM
the bad camber issue is typical, hetricks new arms go along way to help this but it is inherent to the single arm set up.

run it, let the rider tell you what is going on and go from there

Kool Kidz
01-01-2006, 10:16 AM
If your backing of the preload hasn't helped talk to Elka. FYI the Elka's are stiff when new, few hrs of riding time may soften them a little. It is possible that the spring rate is too stiff and you may be able to get softer springs. If you have stock a-arms, that could be part of your problem also.