PDA

View Full Version : Shocks or A arms

EXer4life
12-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey everybody i just had a quick question for everybody about a suspension set up for my 300ex. since i cant afford both I was wondering weather to get shocks or A arms first.

ZeroLogic
12-25-2005, 11:54 AM
if your going to get extended a arms your going to need shocks and if your going to get shocks you would waste your money buying standered length shocks and later getting extended a arms and having to but extended shocks

i would save up and buy them at the same time if your going to widen your machine IMO

hondardr4life
12-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Yea, no point in buying one without the other. Heck, there is no point in buying them at all. Trust me from my own experience. I dropped 4 grand on my 330ex, just to end up not being satisfied with it. People told me this when I was building it, and I said the same thing I know you are going to say "no, i wont want a new quad for a few years" or " theres no way my parents will let me get another one, or theres no way I can afford another one" well I was wrong, and please just take my advice, save your money and buy a 250r/ 440ex/ 450r or something of that nature. You will be much happier.

ZeroLogic
12-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Yea, no point in buying one without the other. Heck, there is no point in buying them at all. Trust me from my own experience. I dropped 4 grand on my 330ex, just to end up not being satisfied with it. People told me this when I was building it, and I said the same thing I know you are going to say "no, i wont want a new quad for a few years" or " theres no way my parents will let me get another one, or theres no way I can afford another one" well I was wrong, and please just take my advice, save your money and buy a 250r/ 440ex/ 450r or something of that nature. You will be much happier.

take his advice

exman
12-25-2005, 07:09 PM
if you are going to build your engine on a 300 ex to 330 or more then you are pretty much wasting your time and money,,,becuase obvoiusley the money you spend on it plus the worth of your quad can get you a 400ex modded out. Now it does make sense if you are running in a class that has a limit of 350cc,,,thats an exception.

but if you trail ride, or race a youth production class or a 200 300 production class, or your age just doesn't warrant a 400ex or 450 r. ( i know every body the age of 14 is gonna say i can stomp with a 400 or 450), to counter that there is a difference between riding the machine and the machine riding you..enough said.

now for suspension,,,if you are planning to keep your 300ex for awhile or just want to race in the above mentioned class,,,,always i repeat always...and again always go with suspension first,,,even witha pure stock motor,,,yes suspension does not make the bike go faster,,,it lets the rider ride faster and maintain that speed through trails xc, or mx longer....seen many of many big bores fade away afyter about the second lap,,,and then here comes that kid witha dialed in suspension,,,eating him up everywhere but the straights...JUST Remeber you got to have something underneath all that power to keep it on the ground.

Now to what to get first. We at GDH racing have solved that problem,,,no one likes to get an xmas gift or buy something expensive to see it on the shelf for the next 56 months waiting for the other component. Our arms accept a 400ex stock shock,,,so the deal is you can get set fo GDH Arms,,,pick up some 400ex stockers for cheap,,,and 1) have a way better suspension than the stock, 2) have a better suspension thatn the 400ex a-arm deal, and 3) be ready to accept aftermarket 400ex length shocks when you get the cash. You can run stock offset rims with them and be just as wide as a 400ex,,,so you can still do trail riding, but yet you can get out on the mx track and be +3 over stock...wow what a solution.

EXer4life
12-28-2005, 12:23 PM
thanks for the advice and i talked to my parents and i know a guy that is selling a mx ready 426ex and i think im gonna just sell the 300 and get that.